Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 week Options Program starts tomorrow

Hi All,

Tomorrow will officially start my pre op journey. 12 weeks of classes through Kaiser's Options Program. I'm way more nervous then excited. Honestly, I'm not even 100% sure I want to have the surgery!!!

I thought this is what i wanted until I went to the orientation class last Friday. Now all the info given at the class I already knew, but I once again started thinking Why am I not doing this myself. I know I could lose the 100lbs that I need to. I guess the fear of relapsing keeps me at my current weight.

There is nothing more embarrassing then entering a room of friends & family who haven't seen you in a long time when you have gained a significant amount of weight.

Not that I couldn't relapse from having the VSG.

My brain is swirling. All I know is that I'm going to attend these 12 weeks of classes & in the end I'll make a decision either way. Afterword I'll have gained more knowledge & insight into who I really am!!!!!

Anyone else question is they should do the surgery?

Hi All,

Tomorrow will officially start my pre op journey. 12 weeks of classes through Kaiser's Options Program. I'm way more nervous then excited. Honestly, I'm not even 100% sure I want to have the surgery!!!

I thought this is what i wanted until I went to the orientation class last Friday. Now all the info given at the class I already knew, but I once again started thinking Why am I not doing this myself. I know I could lose the 100lbs that I need to. I guess the fear of relapsing keeps me at my current weight.

There is nothing more embarrassing then entering a room of friends & family who haven't seen you in a long time when you have gained a significant amount of weight.

Not that I couldn't relapse from having the VSG.

My brain is swirling. All I know is that I'm going to attend these 12 weeks of classes & in the end I'll make a decision either way. Afterword I'll have gained more knowledge & insight into who I really am!!!!!

Anyone else question is they should do the surgery?

I can't imagine anyone NOT questioning if this is the right thing. For any major surgery, the risks and benefits need to be carefully considered.

Glad you have started this program. You will find lots of support here! Good luck.

It's normal to feel nervous - you're about to do something that's very important to you! There's a reason why this process is a minimum of 12 weeks away and not 12 days away. You have time to gain all if the information you need and make the best decision for you. You can change your mind at anytime. :). I'm almost 11 months post-sleeve (through Kaiser Northern CA) and I can tell you it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made. No complications. Top notch care. I weighed 152 this morning (5'7") and my surgeon predicted I would get down to 160. My personal goal is 140-145! Good luck with your own journey with wherever it leads you!

I can't imagine anyone NOT questioning if this is the right thing. For any major surgery, the risks and benefits need to be carefully considered.

Glad you have started this program. You will find lots of support here! Good luck.

Thank You so much for your response. Sometimes I feel crazy for questioning it, but life changing procedures should require lots of attention.

Most of us ask ourselves the same questions you have. We need to be sure of what we're doing, and, when we've decided for the surgery, we even still question it. Because it is major, life-altering surgery, NOT for the faint-of-heart. It requires life-long commitment, and belief in ourselves - that we CAN succeed at living a healthier life.

I chose to do it for one specific reason: to get diabetes out of my life, hopefully for good. And I did. No more shots, no more testing, and if I continue to follow all the rules, never have it return. When I saw the neuropathy setting in, that made my mind up, and I wish I hadn't waited even that long. I don't want to go blind, or lose my limbs, let alone die prematurely. So I made my choice, as nothing else has worked for me. I wasn't even that overweight, but enough to make my life lead down a very scary slope. I had done all kinds of diets and made all kinds of changes, but genetics play a large role in our body types, as well, and you can't fight genetics. At least in my opinion.

I don't regret the surgery, I am happy to have this new tool to help me fight my battles, and I feel it is something I should have done YEARS ago, had I known about it. And then there are all the side benefits: FEELING BETTER! Looking better, getting to go shopping for new clothes (needed them anyway, so I don't feel guilty about spending for this), lower cholesterol and blood pressure levels...the list goes on. Sure, there are the potentials for complications, I saw it as compared to what if I didn't do it? There are lots of books out there to research, and these websites, so get your fill of info - the more the better. Then make your educated decision. What will you have if you do and if you don't? I have had 22 surgeries. This was the easiest and least painful, AND most beneficial. Good luck to you!

It's normal to feel nervous - you're about to do something that's very important to you! There's a reason why this process is a minimum of 12 weeks away and not 12 days away. You have time to gain all if the information you need and make the best decision for you. You can change your mind at anytime. :). I'm almost 11 months post-sleeve (through Kaiser Northern CA) and I can tell you it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made. No complications. Top notch care. I weighed 152 this morning (5'7") and my surgeon predicted I would get down to 160. My personal goal is 140-145! Good luck with your own journey with wherever it leads you!

Thank you for your response. Yes I'm glad that Kaiser's program is 12 weeks long. Hard to believe that some people skip all the classes & head to Mexico to have the procedure done.

Sounds like you are having fantastic results!! Congrats & keep it up.

Most of us ask ourselves the same questions you have. We need to be sure of what we're doing, and, when we've decided for the surgery, we even still question it. Because it is major, life-altering surgery, NOT for the faint-of-heart. It requires life-long commitment, and belief in ourselves - that we CAN succeed at living a healthier life.

I chose to do it for one specific reason: to get diabetes out of my life, hopefully for good. And I did. No more shots, no more testing, and if I continue to follow all the rules, never have it return. When I saw the neuropathy setting in, that made my mind up, and I wish I hadn't waited even that long. I don't want to go blind, or lose my limbs, let alone die prematurely. So I made my choice, as nothing else has worked for me. I wasn't even that overweight, but enough to make my life lead down a very scary slope. I had done all kinds of diets and made all kinds of changes, but genetics play a large role in our body types, as well, and you can't fight genetics. At least in my opinion.

I don't regret the surgery, I am happy to have this new tool to help me fight my battles, and I feel it is something I should have done YEARS ago, had I known about it. And then there are all the side benefits: FEELING BETTER! Looking better, getting to go shopping for new clothes (needed them anyway, so I don't feel guilty about spending for this), lower cholesterol and blood pressure levels...the list goes on. Sure, there are the potentials for complications, I saw it as compared to what if I didn't do it? There are lots of books out there to research, and these websites, so get your fill of info - the more the better. Then make your educated decision. What will you have if you do and if you don't? I have had 22 surgeries. This was the easiest and least painful, AND most beneficial. Good luck to you!

Thank you so much for all of your wisdom!!! It is so amazing to have support from those who don't know me at all.

Glad to hear that you no longer suffer from these horrible things.

Thanks again!!

I knew this was what I wanted after trying so many different things. I just finished week 4. My goal is 5lbs by the start of week 5. I've been doing okay but I want to do better. I have to push myself