Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know when your full?

I am on Stage 2 of my diet. Adding yogurt, cream Soups and cottage cheese. I don't really know when I am full or at least not like before surgery. I don't want to get overly full. When you get full do you experience pain mid chest like food trying to go into your stomach? Sounds crazy I know, I just don't know my stomach these days. Ha!

I have no sense of fullness or hunger yet (3 weeks postop). I'm told it will come back. For now I'm eating by the measuring spoon and the clock.

Post op my dr advised to eat by portion size. Rather than trying to eat until you felt "full". Sadly there is a delay time between when your new tummy is full and when your brain gets the signal to stop eating. As a result you may eat too much and end up getting sick. Try to focus on eating 1/4 cup of yogert then wait a bit if you still think your hungry try another 1/4 cup. It is a learning process. First of all your tummy is still healing I'm 16 almost 17 wks out and I'm lucky if I eat an entire container At one sitting and I'm talking the single serve size which are between 4-5oz

I take my time and savor every bite. I know it silly however even when I drink milk I " chew" my drink. This helps keep things small and under control as well as slowing things down. I have learned my " full flag" comes when I have a slight feeling to burp or get hiccups. That's a stopping point for me. By measuring you learn to keep track if how much is that "satisfied" feeling and stop then. Hugs of support.

I'm still learning also.. so just measuring my food until I know for myself.

I personally start to hiccup. Instantly probably after about 4-5 bits and I'm done. I'm lucky to have a cue I suppose :)

Believe me, you will know. With me, I started to get a fullness pain (not bad pain), which meant ...Okay..you can stop now. LOL

Plus my surgeon showed me how big my stomach was now, and it is the size of a newborns tummy. Which means you eat like a new baby. :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!