Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am leaning toward not getting revision.

Although I want my band out, I am not sure I want to get the sleeve - for the following reasons:

1) Age: 64

2) Doctor said I could lose AS MUCH AS 45 pounds (my current BMI is 35)

3) Not being able to take NSAIDS (I have chronic back problems and arthritis)

4) I was diagnosed with GERD many years ago and have no symptoms while using daily nexium.

5) Not a lot of encouragement on here when they assess my situation.

Considering the problems that might occur after surgery with everything - food issues, acid reflux, pain relief - I am wondering if it is worth it for "as much as 45 pounds".

It's a very difficult decision for me. The doctors and staff just tell you the risks but aren't going to be much help in making this decision.

It is a huge decision, and much more significant surgery than the lap-band. It is wise of you to consider all your options and look and the pros and cons.

I am 64 and had the revision BUT I am 130 pounds overweight so it was a much easier decision of me. Also my band and port hurt al the time, an constant irritation. (That's gone!)

I can tell you I didn't have much reflux before but I do now. It is getting better but I wonder if it will ever go away completely. I'm still only 6 weeks post-op. Too soon to tell about any of this.

Best wishes to you in making your decision.

It is a huge decision, and much more significant surgery than the lap-band. It is wise of you to consider all your options and look and the pros and cons.

I am 64 and had the revision BUT I am 130 pounds overweight so it was a much easier decision of me. Also my band and port hurt al the time, an constant irritation. (That's gone!)

I can tell you I didn't have much reflux before but I do now. It is getting better but I wonder if it will ever go away completely. I'm still only 6 weeks post-op. Too soon to tell about any of this.

Best wishes to you in making your decision.

I think right now I am going to continue with the 6 month weight loss plan, do the sleep study and go from there.

I have not had the significant problems with the band that others who got theirs removed have had. I can still get stuck once in awhile (all the fill has been taken out) or get pressure when I start to eat, and left shoulder pain. The upper GI showed it looked okay.

The decision might be made for me with the insurance company if they look at it like that - not enough problems with band, lower BMI. Right now I just have high cholesterol.

The thing that limits me the most in my life is not my weight but my chronic and severe back problems and arthritis - neither of which improved with my weigh loss from the band (lost 75 lbs - 15 from the band - gained back 30).

Having had my young husband die from esophageal cancer (after Barretts) - I am well aware of the risks of chronic GERD/heartburn, acid reflux.

I had the sleeve and take NSAIDS daily. Also my heartburn is resolved with weight loss

This is a tough decision. Since the band is still in is there any reason it cannot have small fill? You are obviously motivated and doing the 6 month program, maybe that would give you the help you need without another surgery.

Good luck to you with whatever choice you make.

This is a tough decision. Since the band is still in is there any reason it cannot have small fill? You are obviously motivated and doing the 6 month program, maybe that would give you the help you need without another surgery.

Good luck to you with whatever choice you make.

Thanks for your reply. However...

I will NEVER have another fill in this stupid band. First of all, it's only a 4cc band - when mine was put in they weren't even using that size anymore (my original surgeon was an idiot). And a trip to the ER when I was stuck years ago (when all the fill was removed) was more painful than getting shot. I couldn't even talk.

I have some time to make the decision but it is a tough one.

Plus I just read on my "Hospital of Excellence" website that "unless you are morbidly obese, the risks of bariatric surgery outweigh the benefits of weight loss". Wow!

I am not morbidly obese.

It seems that you have already reached a sound decision. Since you are not morbidly obese, it is definitely a good idea to continue with the 6-month program and re-evaluate after that. I'm guessing that you are going to be successful whatever you decide. Good luck.

It seems that you have already reached a sound decision. Since you are not morbidly obese, it is definitely a good idea to continue with the 6-month program and re-evaluate after that. I'm guessing that you are going to be successful whatever you decide. Good luck.

Thanks. That is what I am going to do for now.

Plus I just read on my "Hospital of Excellence" website that "unless you are morbidly obese, the risks of bariatric surgery outweigh the benefits of weight loss". Wow!

I am not morbidly obese.

I am glad that the center said that. I sometimes think people jump into surgery when indeed there are risks and they need to be carefully considered.

Best of luck with your decision... Sounds like a wise one.