Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My introduction. Ball starts rolling next week

Hi everyone. I'm 45 years old, 5'8" and pushing my highest weight ever at 295. BMI 44. I was a thin and active child and teen. After college I started a sedentary job and had a baby a year after that. Gained 60 pounds while pregnant and that was 20 years ago! Over last 20 years I steadily and slowly have gone up on the scale. I have done many diets over years with only small early losses but weight always finds me again plus some. My father died at age 43 from a sudden heart attack. At that time I was only 23 and was still at a healthy weight but now that I am obese and older than he was it is a severe fear of mine. In fact I have always had anxiety anytime my heart rate goes up even from daily things like climbing stairs or vacuuming the house. This is probably one reason I don't exercise. Anyway my mom had a few friends that have had some success with Lap Band and she has begged me to consider it but I've kept thinking no way my insurance would ever pay for it. Well recently I called my insurance and they WILL cover it if I meet all their requirements. I do meet them all now except the recent 6 months doctor supervised diet. I did WW within last year but dang it I only lasted 4 months that time before I gave up! My insurance assigned me a case worker advocate and I have my first phone interview on Monday afternoon. I also have a physical scheduled for next Friday with my PCP because I am clueless of my cholesterol or blood sugar. And I will ask for his support and recommendation as well. I have done a lot of research online and read a couple eBooks and I'm actually leaning toward vertical sleeve now as opposed to Lap Band. It seems to have better long term results and fewer long term complications after getting past the initial surgery and leak test. Plus the foreign object inside me forever w LB kind of freaks me out. My husband supports me but has never had a weight issue so he doesn't get why it has to come to this for me. Nobody besides my hubby and mom know yet that I'm considering this. Not even my son yet. Anyway that's my story. Journey about to take off.

I've had happy success so far with LapBand and I was banded at age 53. Not at goal yet but loving my life so far. Good luck and keep posting!

Good Luck on your journey. I turned 55 12 days before my surgery. It's been 3 months and I am down 68 pounds and feel good. This is not an easy road to follow. However, it does work, and is worth it. I started in July, 2014 and I could not walk for more than a few minutes without foot pain. It impacted my quality of life as a fairly young person thinking about where the benches were in the mall so I could sit. Now, I actually enjoy the mall walks, can go to the gym and overall have a lot more energy.