Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! Starting the process

Hi everybody! I have just started on the journey. I'm 33. I live in Texas. My SW is 271. ???? can't believe I just told everyone that. My surgeon is Dr. Nicholson in Dallas/Plano. I'm self-pay. I have my EGD on Monday to see if I have a hernia. I have always been obese my entire life. In high school I was about 175. I didn't like my weight back then but if only I could go back to those days!!! I have got close a couple of times but then regained it back with a few more. So now I'm here!

I continue to go back and back about everything. I researched this to death. I quit smoking 6 months ago just so I would be able to have the procedure. (It took me 4 months to get the nerve to call the surgeons office & 20-25lbs of quitting weight). I have a wonderful friend that had the gastric bypass and encourages me everyday with exercise and answers all my questions. My mom supports me in this in journey and a semi-supportive husband(he doesn't talk much so it's kinds of hard to know).

But I know if I don't do it, right now is the best it going to be!

Meaning I know I'm headed for more joint pain, developing diabetes, heart problems, depression, more weight and bigger sizes!

❤️Thank you for all of the inspiration/stories/& answers on this site. ❤️

Good for you! I too quit smoking about 4 months before my VSG. Sounds like you are getting as prepared as you can be for your upcoming surgery! I'm sure with all your research, you know it's normal to be wishy washy about going through with the surgery, but in the end, most people are thrilled they did it and the only regret they have is they didn't do it sooner! Please keep us posted. We would love to see how everything goes for you!

Thanks for the encouragement babbs. I appreciate it. I mostly worry about not being able to enjoy time with the family the same way. food or alcohol has been the center of our everything. But I am ready.

This is one of the hardest things I've ever done, and IT IS SO WORTH IT. I wish I'd done this years ago!

I have a friend who just had sleeve with Dr. Nicholson about 3 weeks ago. She's doing great and had a very good experience with Dr. Nicholson / office. She did have a hernia and they fixed it and then did the sleeve all in the same surgery.

Welcome!!! It is a tough journey (which I'm sure your WLS friend told you) but to me, it has been worth it. Even the rougher times seem like nothing now. Just stick to your plan and keep your head up. And I definitely know what you mean about putting your weight down in writing. I would NEVER have told anyone I knew, much less didn't know, how much I weighed. It seems like this site is a "safe" zone. You can say it and know that everyone else on here won't judge you. That's what I love about BP. Best of luck to you!!

Hi sassy, we have much in common. I also had to quit smoking, I'm 31, 224 before surgery and had the sleeve 2/11. I'm already down to 201. Family dinners are different. it's ok, it's healthy to mourn your old life, put everything on the table that you know will change and mourn it. Then get ready to embrace your new life. Shopping for clothes will be fun, you'll find yourself wanting to get into a bathing suit and enjoy the Water with your family. It's only been 3 weeks but I know this it the best decision I've ever made for myself. Cheers to a healthy life!

My highest weight was 271, also. I went through True Results and had Dr. Marsden in Richardson. I've lost 70 as of this morning! We are close by each other, so please let me know if you need any support!!

I also hated that I would no longer be able to relish all my comfort food binges but you know what? Five months out I don't miss it at all. I wonder how it ever appealed to me. We learned our behavior and you will learn new behavior. It really is amazing. I no longer live to eat; I eat to live. So do we all and so will you. God bless you. Full speed ahead!

Just checking in. Thank you for everybody's support. I had my EGD waiting on the office to get back to me with a follow up. I should have called them since they are closed all week for spring break. ???? But I can't wait to get my surgery.

Very frustrated right now!!! Had the final visit with the doctor. He said I'm ready to go, talked to the surgery coordinator she gave me the go ahead, and I have repeatedly tried to call the surgery scheduler. She hasn't returned my call. Never answers the phone. WTH!!! So hard to stay focused!!! Just wish she would contact me. ????????????

She finally called!!!! My surgery date is May 26th. I guess I just needed to grip about her not calling. Wish it was sooner but everything happens for a reason! #excited but nervous