Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unexpectedly slow start to weight loss

My surgery (gastric sleeve) date was 2/2/15, and I have had a relatively easy recovery. I was back at work by 2/6/15 and I have felt really good. I haven't experienced any problems. I have strictly followed my liquid diet and I never exceed the 500 calories/day that my doctor advises. I have avoided caffeine and make sure that I drink at least 64 oz of Water a day and I get between 68 - 74 grams of the recommended type of Protein a day, and I never miss my Vitamins. I have also tried to be careful about my sodium intake, since I do drink about 2 - 3 cups of broth a day. I make sure I choose a lower sodium or no-salt added broth or stock.

However, after 4 weeks, I have only lost 15 lbs from my pre-surgery weight. This is about 12% of my excess body weight. I don't get it - I've lost 15 pounds a month on Weight Watchers in the past, and I didn't have a large portion of my stomach surgically removed to achieve it. My surgeon's expectations were that I should lose 20 - 25% of my excess body weight in the first 4 - 6 weeks. I haven't exercised as much as I'd planned - the weather has been terrible this month, but I know that is not a good excuse. I do get exercise in at least 3 times a week.

To say that I am frustrated is an understatement. My biggest fear pre-surgery (aside from not making it through!) was that I'd have the surgery and I'd still not be able to lose weight. I am grateful that I am not hungry, but I was really looking forward to this amazing quick weight loss at the start that everyone talked about. I was also hoping to move to the next stage in my diet and be able to eat blended food. I am afraid that the surgeon will keep me on liquids because I have only lost 6 pounds since my last office visit, 10 days post-surgery.

I feel like crying, but feeling sorry for myself isn't going to help me meet my goal. Has anyone else experienced a slower than anticipated weight loss at the beginning of their journey?

This is a huge fear of mine too. Everyone just kept saying sleeve sleeve sleeve and I was dead set on bypass for the longest. I go in for my sleeve on Tuesday. I hope that I made the right decision.

I wasn't scared about the malabsorption really. I think the only reason I chose sleeve over bypass was that I am relatively young and still have some kick to me. I want quick results but I don't wanna get ill and I know that I have a tendency to drop off on the medication train. I'm also planning on returning to school for my masters and I may lose insurance when I do that if I drop down to part time. I thought that maybe sleeve would cause less difficultly and would require less follow up in the event I end up paying full price.

I dunno. But this is a real fear of mine too. Lemme know how it goes and if it gets better!

Edited by Grateful_Love

Out of curiosity, what's the rush? I "only" lost just under 15 pounds my first month and I've "only" lost around 6 pounds a month since then. But I'm still losing steadily and predictably. So, what's the issue? If it takes 6 months or 16 months to reach goal, I'm still going to reach goal. WLS isn't like a diet. I'll never be "done" with it, so there doesn't seem to be any need to "race to the finish line" so to speak.

I want quick results

Why?

I don't need quick results, but I am worried because I've read that weight loss slows as time progresses, even with WLS. I am worried that I will still be fat even after I had the surgery. It sounds irrational, but I have spent a lifetime struggling with my weight and not being able to lose, even when I try to follow diets strictly. I will say that I am not hungry, so I am not uncomfortable with my greatly reduced intake. I just worry because the weight loss is much slower than what I have seen reported by others, and I am concerned that I will never get the weight off.

I have been a "slow loser" also but if you stick to the plan you can't help but lose weight. You are eating so few calories the weight has to come off. Don't get discouraged because it is going to happen! The first month or so I think our bodies are in shock and recovering from surgery.

Have you measured? Do this monthly because sometimes it's inches and not pounds that we lose.

Good luck!

Summer

Edited by Summer Rain

Thanks, Summer - that makes me feel a little better. I haven't measured, but my clothes don't really feel any looser. I guess I'll just keep doing what I have been doing.

Edited by dmkaz

I am also a slow looser and always have been. You have to remember someone who needs to lose 150 lbs is going to loose faster then someone who needs to lose 50

I have NASH which makes me loose very slowly but at least I am loosing and if it takes me 10 years at least I will be healthy. This isnt a quick fix and I hope you aren't thinking that

It is a lifetime commitment. So just keep doing what you are doing...it will come off!

Congratulations! You have reached The Dreaded Week-3 Stall. It's perfectly normal, and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or even longer. But don't worry – after that, the weight will start falling off if you stick to your program. And, the inches will continue to come off even while the scale isn't budging. Here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight again!

(Apologies to BP regulars who have seen this repeatedly, but it's a big deal to those who are going through it!)

That article really helped! Thank you! I had my thyroid removed 4 years ago, and although my internist and surgeon assured me that this would not prevent me from losing weight with the sleeve, I was worried that it may be interfering. I really appreciate the link!

That article really helped! Thank you! I had my thyroid removed 4 years ago, and although my internist and surgeon assured me that this would not prevent me from losing weight with the sleeve, I was worried that it may be interfering. I really appreciate the link!

I'm glad! That's why I keep posting the same darned message over and over again. It's that important at a critical time for new sleevers. Good luck on your journey!!!

I had a slow beginning, but eventually picked up the pace after the first month. I was only down 18 pounds from pre-surgery weight at my one month follow up visit. The bariatric nurse said that I must have been taking in too many carbs (I wasn't, daily total was under 20 grams) and that I should pay more attention to the group meetings with the nutritionist. I was so upset even though I knew she was wrong. I have hypothyroidism which probably had something to do with it. Who knows?

It was so hard not to say something sarcastic to the nurse because she was quite overweight herself. I decided the next day that I wouldn't let her comments bring me down and to just put my very best effort into being successful. And things have gotten better because I've lost 100 pounds in 5 months. Even if you lose slower than that, who cares? It's not a race and you will get there at your own individual pace. Plus, there are many positives to losing more slowly. I have found it mentally exhausting to lose weight too fast and look forward to "loosening up" a little.

WL Warrior - Thanks so much for your message. It was really helpful, and encouraging. It is inspiring to know that you have continued to lose steadily.That is my biggest concern. Because I had a thyroidectomy, I am worried that this will impede my success. I go to the surgeon again on Thursday and I am worried that they will chastise me for not losing enough when I have been working so hard and haven't deviated from the surgeon's/dietician's recommendations at all. And after 6 weeks on a liquid diet, I am so ready to start moving to regular food and actually chew something besides my Vitamins. Thank you again!

Dmkaz - I can't view your weight stats from my cell phone. What is your starting weight and how much do you need to lose? I guarantee without knowing this information that you are a lower bmi. Here's my advice. RELAX. Follow the program and the weight will come off. I have been a slow looser this entire journey and it used to really bother me. Once I stopped comparing myself to other people and realized that my journey was mine alone, I was a much happier person. I have averaged 1 - 1.5 pound weight loss per week almost the entire time. Some weeks I lost Nothing! And guess what? All of a sudden here I am 11 months post -op 11 pounds LESS than where my surgeon predicted I would be! It will happen. Unfortunately you may be learning a wonderful lesson on patience. We didn't get chunky overnight, right? Besides, one perk of slow weight loss is I have almost zero lose skin. How's that to motivate you to chill out? :). Slow weight loss does wonders for giving your skin time to readjust.

Oh my gosh, I've been feeling the same way as you DMKAZ. I had my surgery on 2/9 and I've never lost weight easily. I guess I expected to have it drop off and it's not. I've lost just under 15 pounds so far. I'm going to read that article too. I was feeling frustrated but I shouldn't be I guess. Everyone loses at their own pace and I'll just keep doing what the doctor says. Thank you everyone!