Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just left my family doctor, she refferal me just like that no questions asked. Now praying my insurance will cover. My bmi is 42. My other question is my insurance requires a 3 months of a diet while seeing a doctor. I have previously see my doctor for months specifically for weightloss, she was giving me phentermine. Will that work for my previous 3 months or will I have to do 3 more?

I can't tell you for positive but I saw my primary DR for a referral and while I was there I was told previously to make sure she wrote in the notes for that Visit that I was there for obesity. That counted towards my 3 month supervised diet. I didn't get any diet meds or anything else. I have BCBS Fed.

Similar question. I was diagnosed with a stomach condition in early january of last year (not weight related condition) but was put on a special "no acids" diet similar to the diet used for acid reflux, and I went and saw the nutritionist about weight loss once or twice after that, and like 2 months ago saw the doctor for a weight loss pill or something more effective than a diet and exercise plan that didnt work. So im also wondering if any of that time wasted will count as the "waiting period" cuz the receptionist acheduled that DR specifically becuz id seen him a few months ago about weight loss.

All you can do is ask the insurance company as to if it counts. Each insurance company is different. I would think going to the doctor for the weight loss and getting weight loss pills would count as physician supervised diet.

I had to do a 6 month supervised one. I did it as a combination dietician and PCP. They are in the same practice. I had to have a visit at least monthly. There was a grid that showed date of visit, weight at visit and how was patient trying to lose? Diet, exercise, RX?

My insurance company would have also accepted Weight Watchers, LA Weight Loss, medifast, etc... as long as I had proof that I tried it for at least 6 consecutive months in the last 2 years prior to approval.

My doctor included any notes he had about when we discusses my weight. That was good for my insurance (a Medicare Advantage company), but they wanted to go back a year. I hope things go smoothly for you!

UHC wanted 6 months of dr supervised diet - Cigna my new insurance wanted three. The visits counted as my patient notes had my bio stats, weight loss plan - including diet (discussed with patient 1200 calorie diet, discussed limiting g carbs, etc) and exercise (discussed with patient to walk 3x a week, patient knee injury preventing from conducting traditional cardio- suggested swimming) etc. those type of notes are what Cigna and United ended up both approving

Hopefully I dont have to go 6 months, i was on nutrisystem for 2-3 months and gained 15 lbs (i still dont know how that happened) but i have been contemplating surgery for 2 years before mentioning it to anyone. But i can wait 6 months if need be, ive already waited this long and post op ill have all the time in the world to enjoy having the waiting period over haha :)

I am also playing the waiting game. My insurance requires 6 months of a medically supervised diet and a ton of other things. I started the process in October. Today I received a letter from my insurance company that they were denying coverage for some of the appointments. I just had a sleep study last night and am now afraid that I'll get stuck with the $3000 bill if they do not cover it! Worried! Good luck with everything!