Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perfectly Imperfect: Ashley's VSG Story

Just going to use this as sort of a blog to document my journey.

February 11, 2015 - First appointment with True Results for VSG

February 12, 2015 - Had blood taken for Pre-Op blood work.

February 13, 2015 - True Results Insurance Coordinator called me to let me know she was submitting my paperwork to insurance for approval.

February 17, 2015 - I called my insurance to confirm that they had received my paperwork. They said they had received it yesterday.

February 18, 2015 - Insurance approved my VSG surgery (I wasn't aware yet)

February 20, 2015 - I called insurance to see what the status was of my surgery auth. They let me know it had been approved on the 18th!

February 25, 2015 - Went to another True Results location to have a Body Composition test done. (BMR, Body Fat %, Recommended diet)

February 26, 2015 - Finally was able to get a hold of the insurance coordinator and patient advocate to let them know that I had been approved (bad weather in the area past 2 days)

February 27, 2015 - PreOp clearance doctor's appointment with PCP for blood pressure. (rescheduled due to weather)

March 2, 2015 - PreOp clearance doctor's appointment with PCP for blood pressure. Doctor said he believes that I am low risk for surgery and sent clearance.

March 6, 2015 - Received a call from the surgeon's office and I have an appointment for 9am on March 9th to meet with the surgeon and hopefully schedule my surgery!

March 9, 2015 - Appointment at surgeon's office. Scheduled my pysch, nut, and stress test appointments.

March 11, 2015 - Nutritional and Pre-Op appointment. 2 week liquid diet starts.

March 16, 2015 - Stress Test - They did an ultrasound of my heart and legs. Then did a breathing test and then pedaled on a stationary bike for 8 mins or so while he monitored my breathing, blood pressure, heart rate, etc.

March 17, 2015 - Pysch Counseling

March 25, 2015 - Surgery Date!

April 1, 2015 - 1 week post-op appointment

April 8, 2015 - 2 week post-op appointment

May 27, 2015 - 2 month post op appointment

Edited by ladycook9713

Pre-Op Medical Clearance from PCP is getting rescheduled from today to Tuesday. It's snowing in Dallas, and people in Dallas lose their minds in this kind of weather. Not venturing out unless I have to.

Had my medical clearance for blood pressure yesterday after work. The doctor was very nice, although he seemed to try to sway me from having WLS since I'm "so" young and have time to try other things. (I'm 29) I explained I'm a mom now and want to be there for her. I want her to have a good role model. He said that it seems I have good reasoning behind wanting the surgery.

Got the call today! All my paperwork finally made it to my surgeon and I have an spot to see him Monday at 9am and should be scheduling my surgery then. :)

Yay!!! Congratulations!!!!!

Whoa ur entire process is short! I'm so excited for you! I'm hoping my process is just as short as my insurance doesn't require too much.

Good luck!

I know! It's so crazy! It hasn't even been a month yet. I was so surprised when they called me 2 days after my first appointment and said they were submitting to insurance. I hope it goes super quick for you!

Feeling a little discouraged...

Went to the surgeon's office today and they told me that this particular surgeon requires nutritional counseling, pysch evaulation, EGD, and Stress test before they will schedule me for surgery... even though my insurance does not require it (and I've already been approved.) She told me the Stress test alone could cost $1500. During my very first consultation with True Results my patient advocate didn't tell me the surgeon's office required the stress test and EGD.. only the NUT and pysch. I had saved money accordingly.. so I have $3000 and trying to figure out how to make it all work...

I left the appointment upset and stressed out... I have a time restriction working against me... 2 days after they sent in my paperwork to insurance for approval my company sent out and email that they were making changes to the insurance plan.. that all bariatric surgeries would have to take place in an In Network COE.. the way it is approved right now the facility is out of network (somehow that makes it cheaper on me, don't ask me how). So the approval I received for insurance is for an Out of Network facility and an In Network surgeon... the changes to my health insurance plan take affect April 1. Which means if I do not have the surgery done by April 1 that I will have to resubmit to insurance for approval, and because it has to be in an In Network COE would end up costing me more money. Right before I left she said that even if I had everything completed today, that her first available surgery date would be April 1......

After leaving the office I called the insurance person for True Results.. She told me that I should go ahead and get the tests done and that she could try to push for my surgery date to be squeezed in before the end of the month. I don't feel confident or comfortable doing expensive tests on a "maybe". She told me to call my patient advocate since she only submits everything for approval to insurance. She said she would also email my patient advocate.

About 15 mins later I received a call from my patient advocate and I explained the whole situation to her. She said she was going to call the surgeon's office and see what she could do. 45 mins later she called me back and said that I needed to call the surgeon's office back and speak with the patient advocate there, but that they may be able to squeeze me in on 3/25.

Called the surgeon's office and spoke with the patient advocate, Megan, and she said that she has to speak with the GM first to clear that it will be ok, but that what would happen is that I would do the nut and pysch on Wed the 11th, and then my stress test on the 16th. And that they would do the EGD during my surgery, which they don't prefer to do.. but may be able to..She said she would call me back around 1-2pm to let me know if that was going to be possible.. So I may or may not be starting the liquid diet in 2 days...

Just got a call from Megan the patient advocate at the surgeons office and she said they are going to squeeze my surgery in on 3/25! I tried calling her back but it went to an answering service since they are generally at lunch at this time.

Waiting for a call back and then I am just going to verify all costs again to make sure I don't have any surprises.

Waiting!

Megan called me back and they have scheduled my surgery for the 25th! Scheduled a whole bunch of other appointments for before and after the surgery. liquid diet starts in 2 days and I'm freaking out! Purchased some premier shakes this after and going to give it a try tomorrow morning. Very worried about being hungry all the time. Can't believe this is happening so quickly!

Glad they were able to squeeze you in and best of luck!!!!

Thank you. Had Chipotle tonight as my last "food funeral"... very nervous about starting the liquid diet tomorrow.

Morning of Day 1 of liquid diet - I have with me Premier Protein chocolate shake... it's disgusting... It has a terrible after taste.. it smells terrible... I put a straw in it and positioned the straw towards the back of my throat so it wouldn't hit my tongue as I drank it... Gonna have to find something new cause I don't think I can drink this for the next 2 weeks.

I have my nutritional appointment today and my preop appointment.

Praying I can get through this

Nutrition appointment went well. Found out some tricks that should make the liquid diet a little easier

Also had pre-op appointment. Went over the dos and don'ts

Getting nervous!