Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any GERD sufferers who were still able to get their sleeve done?

I have my surgeon consultation coming up in March and I'm sick with panic about the fact that she may say "no" to my surgery due to my history of GERD. I know the sleeve is typically not recommended for anyone who struggles with gastric reflux or heartburn issues. But the truth is, I've battled GERD since I was 17 when I got my first stomach ulcer and I've been on Nexium (or some form of a PPI) ever since, and probably will continue to be for the rest of my life. It's like, if I don't get the surgery, I'll stay obese (which contributes to reflux problems) and be on the pill forever, or if I DO get the surgery and have reflux issues, I'll be on the pill forever. So, what's the difference?

Does anyone here have experience with GERD and were still able to get the sleeve surgery? Looking for positive reinforcements here!

Also, heyyyyyyy, this is my first post here! ;)

I have GERD and was sleeved on 2/19. I have been having a little acid reflux for the last few days but I took some pepto about 1/2 normal dose. When I am able to swallow pills I will start back on my protonix. I have had hot and sour Soup 2 days in a row though. I love spicy foods and dont GERD stop me from eating.

Just make sure to stop drinking or eating when you get a full feeling. Everyone is different with those. I start to feel like a rock is in my throat. Then I stop and am fine.

@@kjkeller102 first off, welcome. I apparently have GERD as found in my upper endoscopy prior to surgery. I was placed on a Prilosec. I have no problems at all. would rather pop a pill daily than die too young because of my weight....

I have GERD and I'm allergic to omeprazole so there are very few meds I can take for it. I have actually had less trouble with it after my sleeve. Everyone is different but I think a lot of mine is I'm just eating healthier and certainly the smaller proportions helps.

@@kjkeller102 first off, welcome. I apparently have GERD as found in my upper endoscopy prior to surgery. I was placed on a Prilosec. I have no problems at all. would rather pop a pill daily than die too young because of my weight....

Thank you so much! I must say, I have been lurking for a few weeks XD

And, my sentiments exactly! I'm also having an EGD just prior to my surgery consultation, so we'll see how that goes! Thanks for the replies, y'all. It really makes me feel better :)

I had a history of GERD. Had an endoscopy 5 years prior to surgery and was on Nexium off and on for those 5 years. I was using Nexium at the time of surgery. I had an updated endoscopy and an upper GI right before surgery. Both showed a hiatal hernia that I did not have 5 years before. The hernia got repaired at time of surgery. I am still on Nexium and will be for 3 to 4 months. I have had no reflux problems after surgery. Even on the Nexium I would occassionally have reflux. The doctor felt that repairing the hernia should help the reflux. I think it has.

My surgeon didn't even blink about the history of GERD. He did want to see the images from the Upper GI so he knew how big the hernia was prior to surgery.

I had a history of GERD. Had an endoscopy 5 years prior to surgery and was on Nexium off and on for those 5 years. I was using Nexium at the time of surgery. I had an updated endoscopy and an upper GI right before surgery. Both showed a hiatal hernia that I did not have 5 years before. The hernia got repaired at time of surgery. I am still on Nexium and will be for 3 to 4 months. I have had no reflux problems after surgery. Even on the Nexium I would occassionally have reflux. The doctor felt that repairing the hernia should help the reflux. I think it has.

My surgeon didn't even blink about the history of GERD. He did want to see the images from the Upper GI so he knew how big the hernia was prior to surgery.

Ohhhhh, awesome! Thanks for that info! Yeah, my GI said he would take some pics during my EGD to take and show the surgeon.

sleeve typically not recommended for anyon with gastric reflux/ heartburn

@@kjkeller102

welcome, welcome, welcome :)

you did a great job testing the waters and making your first post :)

some peoples heartburn takes a turn for the worst PO :angry:

i even know someone that had a sleeve to bypass revision due to their continuous heartburn :(

lets not concentrate on the negatives :mellow:

i don't know a % of people that have heartburn problems PO

people DO have those issues

but.........i "think" more people (like me) don't have any gerd problems

or things can be controlled with meds ;)

now that i told you the "bad" :mellow:

some peoples heartburn issues PO might improve a little, or are gone PO

as you said everyone is different

when you see the doc next month

talk to him about your concerns

you should have a big discussion hearing his thoughts

hopefully he will assure you things will "probably" be ok/or not :wacko:

maybe your heartburn will be controlled by meds :)

there are only 2 guarantees in life :huh:

Death and Taxes :huh: :D :D

good luck bud

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I had GERD pre-op, but was not on regular medication for it, just Zantac as needed. Post-op my GERD got worse, but I take two Prilosec per day (one morning one evening) and that keeps it completely in check.

When they did my EGD they found a hernia and evidence of GERD though I rarely had heartburn. My symptoms were a horrible chronic cough (unsuccessfully treated as asthma) that was much worse at night. They put me on a PPI immediately and they symptoms were much better. I also got "the talk" from the surgeon, but we decided together that since it was immediately controlled with the PPI and he was going to fix the hernia contributing to it that I'd probably be okay. He warned me that if I wasn't, the only "fix" was R\Y.

Post op, my symptoms were much worse for the first month. I raised the head of my bed and they doubled the Omeprazol. Once the swelling went down and weight started coming off, the symptoms went away. I still take 40mg of omeprazole bid, but it's all good now.

I've had horrendous gerd for about 15 years. Like the kind where I would wake up choking on hot lava even on high does of ppi. My doc was willing to do the sleeve AND I haven't had a lick of reflux since! No meds either!!!

I had some GERD, and small hiatal hernia before surgery. But once on pre-op diet and smaller portions much better. Surgeon found a much larger that expected hiatal hernia during sleeve surgery that he repaired, now on protonix AND omeproxole for at least 3 months. But he felt comfortable still doing sleeve, and no heart burn so far, but only POD #3.

I had awful gerd and got the sleeve last Dec. it wasn't an issue for my Dr. He gave me liquid antacid for a month after and I take a Prilosec every day.

GERD here for yrs! been on nexium my internists is the first dr to send me to surgeon for sleeve. he told me the sleeve is soo much easier an no switching..been doing great here..I only take a nexium a few times a month now..if I feel it coming on I'll pop a rolaid an its gone. :)