Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble swallowing....please help

I am 3 days post op and everytime I swallow I get pain in my throat. I also have reflux and heartburn to the point where I have to sleep sitting up. Is this normal? How long does it last. I really feel like I need to start getting some proper nutrition, but how can I when I can't swallow?

You should speak to your surgeon about your symptoms. It sounds like you might need a PPI (or a higher dose or a stronger PPI) for the heartburn/reflux. A sore throat and difficulty swallowing is pretty normal, both due to the surgery on your stomach and the tube they put down your throat, but again, your surgeon can check you out and let you know if there is anything abnormal going on. Good luck!

Were you prescribed an antacid for the reflux? My surgeon prescribed omeprazole (prilosec) for two months post-op. As for the swallowing, can you be more specific about the pain you are experiencing? I had trouble swallowing in the first few weeks post-op. I had spasms in my esophagus that felt like a tightness/contraction in the center of my chest with every single sip I took. It sucked, but it did eventually get better.

I felt like I was swallowing rocks for weeks after surgery. I had a hard time getting in enough Fluid until I started drinking with a straw. I accidentally drank an entire cup of juice that came with a straw at about 2 weeks out and I almost instantly started feeling better. I still drink with a straw and I'm 16 months post-op.

The only reason they tell you not to use a straw is because for some people it can cause gas pain- there's no medical reason why you can't use it and for a lot of people it completely eliminates the misery of drinking, especially the first few weeks.

I agree with the other person who said you should be on a strong antiacid...like a prescription one. I was put on one from day 1 post op...and told I would be on it for a year. As for swallowing...try a cough drop...then tiny sips of Water. I have lived on sugar free Popsicles. They not only helped my throat but I think the cold helped the swelling in my throat and the incision line on my stomach. It has also helped me to place a warm compress on my abdomen.

You have to keep up your fluids. They are a must!

Good luck and hand in there. Everyday you will get stronger.

Helen

I am 3 days post op and everytime I swallow I get pain in my throat. I also have reflux and heartburn to the point where I have to sleep sitting up. Is this normal? How long does it last. I really feel like I need to start getting some proper nutrition, but how can I when I can't swallow?

I'm taking Pantoprazole for my reflux and my doctor told me to stay away from acidic foods try to sleep with a wedge pillow. sleeping a little elevated will help a lot with that and hopefully by my third month or so I will not need any meds for my gerds ????she did say that your acid levels will increase due to your pouch decreasing in size.

Once the band is installed it may or may not be filled but the portion of the stomach where the band is now attached can become irritated & will swell shut.

Clear liquids, Soups, & jellos until the swelling subsides.

6 weeks in I was eating as if Id had no weightloss surgery at all.