Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What were you allowed on pre-op liquid diet?

I am going to be starting my liquid diet before surgery to shrink my liver. What all were you allowed in this phase? Did surgery go smoother following it?

I didn't have a pre-op liquid diet, just very high Protein and low carb. That said, did your surgeon not provide instructions as to what he or she allows? I am sure if you call the office they can provide more guidance if what they told you isn't clear. Don't be afraid to speak up and ask your surgical team questions when they arise! :)

My surgery went smoothly, but I can't say if it would have been more or less smooth without the low carb diet, since I can't run a controlled experiment and go back and eat off plan and see how that surgery would turn out. I just know that I decided to follow all of my doctor's instructions to the very best of my ability and my surgery went great. Good luck to you, I am sure you will do great too!

I start mine today. Kinda lol. Anniversary this weekend so gonna have my last few meals of what I really want the strict Sunday until surgery. I'm allowed two Protein Shakes for meals. Then for lunch or dinner I can have an Oz of fish chicken or meat with fruits and veggies. And in between I can have sugar free drinks and Snacks and broths. I have a paper from my class yesterday. Are you not having a class?

I was told in class yesterday that they had one woman not follow the preop and when the surgeon got in there he could tell and was furious. Did the surgery even though it was complicated

If your surgeons purpose is shrinking a fatty liver you will normally get a 2 week low carbohydrate plan. I followed mine diligently because I was terrified of surgical complications but it was hard. I think other surgeons use it to jump start weight loss or to make us suffer -not sure- and there is alot of variation.

My surgeon has all of his patients follow an Optifast diet, using Optifast products for at least two week pre-op. I have been allowed three shakes and two bars a day, plus all the Water I want.

Two days before surgery, it will just be shakes and Water.

For my 2 day pre-op liquid diet I could have Protein shakes, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, 100% fruit juice, Water, Water + sugar free flavorings. Oh, and broth. It sucked but I did loose 5 pounds that weekend.

2 days. Wow ur lucky. I have 2 weeks

I only have one day of the liquid diet that I will start on Monday. I did have to loose 10 pounds before my last pre op appointment, I managed to get off 17 to help shrink my liver. Thank goodness for "my fittness pal" that really helped. But now that I only have a few days left I'm finding myself thinking of a last favorite meal. I wasn't going to have a food funeral but as it gets closer I want to have treats so I have to keep focused and my eye on the prize.

My surgery is scheduled for April 2. I have 14 days of full liquids (3-4 shakes, 2-3 Snacks of applesauce, yogurt, or pudding) and then one day of Clear Liquids.

I have a low-ish starting BMI and my surgeon said that the pre-op diet isn't as important for me as it is for some of his larger patients, but I am going to give it my best effort. I haven't updated my ticker in a while, but it's possible I can get out of the 200s before surgery, and that's my goal to stay motivated and not go overboard with "food funerals" and whatnot. Because otherwise I'd be doing a lot of mourning.

I can have Protein Shakes, sf Popsicles, sf jello/pudding, cottage cheese, cream Soups, applesauce. oatmeal... A few other things on the list but these are the only things I like. I did find some sf/low Italian Ice that is delicious and my NUT said that was fine as well.

Edited by Riz2006

Thank you ladies I am on day 3 of my liquid diet. I met with my nutritionist on March 2nd so I am good with what I am allowed to have now. I am staying strict for the 2 weeks I am supposed to be on liquids until surgery which is the 18th of this month.

This liver shrinking diet is tough! My surgeons diet plan is two weeks all liquid. 3-4 Protein Shakes a day, sf drinks, sf Jello, sf Popsicles, broth, Water. That is plan A and the plan he wants most people on. I have 8 days until surgery ( yay!) so 7 more days of this diet. The first 3 days were just awful. I was hungry, cranky, and nauseous from all the sweet flavors. Plus I had low energy. I ordered some unflavored Protein & chicken Soup flavored protein but they didn't come until about day 5. I had a pre op appointment & also spoke to the nutritionist. They said I was having a sensitivity to sweet flavor and if I was struggling I could do two shakes & one small meal consisting of 3 oz skinless chicken, turkey, or fish & a green veg like broccoli. That has helped me a lot. I needed something savory. I am halfway through & it is not so bad now. I am not as hungry or cranky lol! I know every surgeon is different but I hope that helps someone.