Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I promised to post after it went. I was listed for a none emergency removal but didn't get that far. Before the weekend I flew to Milan. Ate with no major problems, (well not on top of what I was already having of course) on the Friday. On Saturday threw up the quarter of an omlette I had for Breakfast and it went downhill from there. Couldn't keep much of anything down for the following days and by Weds I managing only sips of Water

So off to the emergency dept Thursday mornng. Very dehydrated and. Fluoroscope that showed the narrowing of my oesophageal only inside the band to the width of a piece of paper. That explains nothing going down despite being completely deflated! The was a slight bulge above and that was from the days were I had obviously eaten despite having no means of passage. They said it wasn't a true slip. This has been brewing for sometime but my fluoroscope 6 months ago was all clear.

So was put on the emergency list and I had it out at 7pm last night. I've been suffering with a low BP and so apart from it ending up in my boots at 69/50 I am well. I can't tell you how wonderful the relief of that pressure feels. To be able to drink a cup of tea in minutes because I'm thirsty is even more wonderful. They made me eat in the night because of the low BP but I have a milk allergy which makes it difficult so I ended up with a pear to eat. I thought I was supposed to stick on mashies for a few days but they said it wasn't a problem. I normally try to stick to a paleo diet and limit the fruits so you can imagine just how sweet this pear was, actually it tasted sickly sweet but I ate the whole lot, fibrous skin and all without any issue. I had no restriction, no pain and it just slid down without event.

I haven't very clear Plan for my eating when I get home and will eat paleo still but closely monitor my calorie intake to remain under 1200 to begin with so as I'm sure not to gain. I intend to keep this weight down where it belongs! Anyway it's 5 in the morning in the UK and I'm still surgery drowsy so will sign off but will update you on my progress. My bands pet name was Antonio Banderos and it is with some sadness but also lots of gratitude that I had the opportunity to learn how to fix myself, that I wave goodbye to my Antonio. Xx

Thanks for checking back in and I'm glad the removal is behind you. I'm sure you will be fine with your maintenance plan. Enjoy your continued good health!

Thanks Parisshel.

Day 2 today and I feel a little stiff and sore. Came home from the hospital yesterday afternoon and so was out in less than a full day since the op which is great. They let me go even with low blood pressure because I felt fine.

The surgeon managed to use my previous port scar to get it out but I have 4 new wounds from then lalprascope, my stomach is starting to look like a map of England's road network lol.

My port site is the most sore and the surgeon warned it would be very bruised and raised as they kind of have to "dig it out" Ouch!!!! The other wounds are fine and no bigger than half an inch each so hopefully they will fade.

Eating - well all I can say is, I hadn't realised just how much pain I was in and the amount of pressure the band was putting on my eosophagus. I've eaten very carefully but have been so desperate for salad and dense Protein. My son says I was mumbling in my morpine post op phase about tuna, hilarious, I'd got so bad about not being able to eat Protein that I was dreaming about fish. In my my first thread about the band coming off I was talking about craving salmon!

So yesterday I ate half a slice of toast for breakfast as that was all they had to offer, I ate 3/4 of a chicken fillet and 2 spoons carrots for lunch and I ate a bowl of salad in the evening, my goodness they were then best meals I have eaten in forever.

I think my body is trying to reverse the chronic dehydration as I've been drinking gallons of Water. I keep taking sips and waiting for the reflux which doesn't happen of course so then I take a big gulp. I feel a little kind of bulge when I swallow a big gulp but the surgeon says it is like when you have had a ring on your finger for years, there will be a slight indentation for a while so I guess it's that.

I'm just happy to feel well again so quickly even after surgery. I will never take plain old Water for granted again that's for sure, there's nothing worse than not being able to even get that down. Speaking of which I'm just going to grab myself another glass ...... :-)

Days 3 and 4, I have woken up headachy, stiff, nauseas and very dehydrated both mornings. I'm making my aim to get hydrated as I can't seem to get enough Water in at the moment. I think it's the most important thing for repair along with Protein. I've slept ok, over 8 hours each night. I guess I'm chronically dehydrated and my body is fixing itself so I'm trying to help it. I'm doing the old colour of the urine test as a guide and it's definitely taking me 2.5 litres to stop feeling this thirst and get it back to straw coloured by the afternoon.

Not really interested in food at the moment. Had my first proper band free hunger pang yesterday. It growled so loudly everyone in the room laughed!

Am making sure I eat some Protein and veg each day which is great to be able to manage without fear but I've lost 5 pounds since the surgery. All I can say is the band was driving some poor eating because I was so malnutritioned and hence craving sweets all the time. They were really all I could get down in the end along with Soup.

The lack of pressure and pain is a relief I feel every day. I'm taking only 2 paracetamol and one omeprazole upon waking. Don't think I'll need either by the weeks end as I'm moving about taking small walks frequently which helps to keep that Fluid moving.

Only on occasion can I feel something in my throat food wise and that's if it goes down at a funny angle but the surgeon said the oesophagitis could take up to 2 weeks to resolve and it does still feel a little sore and swollen.

My port site was a hard lump on day 3 but has softened on day 4. I am lucky, I have very clean scars and no bruising even though I was warned the port site at least would be a hard raised bruised mess.

I'm guessing my appetite will return at some point but I'm sticking on small portions so as not to re stretch my stomach and making sure my food is real food, not processed floury, sugary, carby rubbish. We will see how that works for me in good time I expect.

My best advice...drink lots of Water, eat clean and keep moving. It's not been anywhere near as nauseating as having the band in and I've had no food restrictions either which has made things easier of course but I know that's not everyone's experience.

I hope this helps people to read from a personal experience perspective.

Days 5-9. I gradually reduced my once a day paracetamol and took no more after day 6. I'm still taking omeprazole to make sure the esophagitis clears up but this is only needed until 2 weeks post op.

I was working by day 5. It's a desk job though. The pain and stiffness went away very quickly. My wounds are fantastic. The glue they now use makes such a difference. It's waterproof and reduces the chance of infection. You really wouldn't know it's only a week and a half since it came out.

I've had to make sure I'm eating enough fruit to "keep things going" post surgery. There was nothing for 4 days and I was getting stomach gripes but it's getting back on track now. All a bit odd colour wise, bit like a rainbow lol (sorry for tmi) but I guess it's because they move your liver and the stomach is near your gallbladder which upsets things. Anyway I'm almost back on track thankfully.

My thirst has reduced but I'm sticking on my 1.5 liters Water plus Hot drinks minimum and sometimes do 2 liters. What about food? It's fantastic. I'm eating healthier than ever in my life having at least 6/7 portions of fruit and veg a day. Have lost 7 pounds since it came out and am back down to my lowest preferred weight of 114 pounds. I am watching my calories and eating no processed carbs which means I don't get those incessant food cravings. I'm keeping my Protein above 60 grams but usually having more than that a day.

I've eaten out twice and have ordered what I always used to order with my band in, which is usually 2 starter portions of Protein or a protein and veg. I've felt full and satisfied on the same amounts but I have absolutely no restriction so can't have been too scarred internally thankfully. The big difference I notice in eating out - I can drink 2 or 3 glasses of sparkling Water or diet soda before I eat or with my food and I have no need for anything else. It feels great.

I don't know if this is just the honeymoon period or if it will last. I know processed carbs turn me into a complete food obsessive. The stuff I've read on insulin makes such sense. I have no need for that kind of "non food" and when I have eaten something like that (in the hospital and at a friends), I've seen it as just one of those things and eat some protein soon after which gets the insulin straight back in check.

I can't believe the energy I now have not being dehydrated and getting good nutrition. I feel liberated. I feel like I have been given a second chance to get this right and I'm going to!

My advice from the last few days. Drink lots of water and keep your protein up. Avoid processed food and move around a bit. In the past I would have completely confused my thirst and hunger signals, eaten processed rubbish which would drive my cravings and hunger even further and made me feel sluggish too. I'd have been stuck on that wretched cycle again where I felt I had no control and couldn't stop it. Not anymore my friends !!!!

This is great to read. I know I've read other updates from other former bandsters who are just so relieved to be out of the pain/disordered eating cycle once their band is removed. They also had been relying on soft calories that kept them in a sugar/carb cycle and did little to diminish their appetite, despite the band being tight.

It really sounds like you are embracing your new state and are grateful for this lesson.

Well done with the weight loss!