Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and Weak

Hello, this is my first time posting but I have been lurking fir quite some time. I am 29 days post op and I am EXTREMELY dissapointed. I have followed my Drs orders to the tee. I have gotten in my 64 oz of Water and my 70 grams of Protein daily (1 Premier Protein and the rest from food). I am very particular about what I eat and I always choose lean Proteins and no bad carbs or sugar. I am allowed to eat about 550 calories a day and I have use MYFITNESSPAL to make sure I meet that. The only thing I have been unable to do is walk much. I have NO energy. When I grocery shop, I am usually about to pass out with dizziness at the checkout counter.

Here's my dilemma. I have only lost 13 lbs :(. I know we are all different and lose at different rates, but I have lost more weight than this on every program I have ever been on. I don't regret having the surgery, but I am certainly feeling like I may be the one anomaly that will fail at this process.

I have read many stall posts and i find my case to be different than most in that I lost all my weight within 10 days of surgery. That means I have been on a 19 day stall that started basically one week after surgery.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Did things ever turn around you? Does 550 calories sound low to you? I've spoken to both my Dr and my Nutritionist and they both agree my weight loss has been low. I am almost in tears here, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I had a similar thing. I lost 23 lbs on pre op (I started a little early) and then struggled post op. This week I am finally starting to see change. I DID see measurement changes so I knew something was happening. Based on your post it looks like you lost a good amount prior to surgery too, so your body is readjusting. It is hard. It seems so unfair. But stay the course. It will happen.

Also, check with your dr to make sure you're not on any med that might affect loss. In any case, are you feeling better?

550 calories seems very low, especially if you are expected to get any exercise in. I was aiming for 800+ a couple of weeks out of the gate and now aim for 1000+ (6 months post-op this Sunday).

As for your "slow" loss... I lost under 15 pounds my first month and then I've "only" been around 6 pounds per month since then. Some people just lose more slowly than others. This isn't a race. Why would it matter if it took you 6 months or 16 months to lose your excess weight, so long as you eventually lost it? This isn't a diet. You will never be "done" with it, so what's the urgency to drop weight quickly?

There are a lot of advantages to losing slowly. You don't have to replace your clothes as often. Your body and skin have more time to adapt. You don't get as many prying questions about your rapid weight loss.

A 19 day stall isn't super uncommon by the way. I assume you lost some weight pre-op and then you dropped 13 pounds in 10 days. That's gonna take a toll on your body and it might need a little time to figure out what's going on. I imagine the low calorie intake isn't helping with that either. Did your nutritionist actually tell you to keep your calories at 550? My nutritionist refused to even set a calorie goal for me. She just wanted me to get in my Protein. My calorie goals I set for myself were just based on how much I thought I realistically needed in order to function.

You have lost almost 50# including your preop losses - looking pretty good to me!!! our bodies are not machines, and we don't lose uniformly so to some extent, you have to just follow instructions, and take it on faith that it works.

One month post op i had lost 36 pounds BUT that includes the weight l lost preop.

I don't know if 550 is the right calories for you but I was just reviewing my old program materials for that phase. I wasn't given calorie targets, but eyeballing the quantity. frequency and suggested foods, I think i was in the 500-700 range.

I am coming to wonder, based on analysing no one other than me old self, if the concern voiced in these questions that come up so frequently, is less about the pounds dropping than whether this is going to "work". As a failed bander, my recent stall caused a lot of self doubt - doing everything "correctly" and not seeing a change made me fear that i was going to be the anomaly, the one it didn't work for, etc. Now that I've been losing again this week, of course its a delight to see the pounds go, but its also reassuring that the plan is working, that there are phases and physiological cycles, and the work is in fact worth it.

With the symptoms you described, I really think you need to increase your food intake. Just try it for a week and see how you feel. There is a chance you will feel more energized and maybe the scale will start moving again. And if your successful, then you will know that your body needs the extra calories. Like I said, just give it 1 week

Maybe the sleeve gods read my thread because I woke up this morning 2 lbs lighter! Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of that dreadful stall. I will contine to stick to the plan and hope for the best.

Thanks for the feedback!

I am having the same experience you are having. I think we need to up our calorie intake.

It sounds to me like you may need a bit more Protein, and definitely more calories. At some point your body goes into starvation mode, and just stored everything as fat. You need closer to 800-900.

Sometimes our bodies are just in shock after the trauma of surgery. I agree, 550 could be low esp with activity. At about 1 month out I was scolded for not eating enough (about 650 calories). When I protested I couldn't "fit" anymore I was told to add high Protein Snacks. I worked up to 1000-1200 calories per day logging everything with 80-100g of protein exercising 5x per week and lost steady but not super fast. I had weeks I didn't lose much, maybe 1/2 pound, but no real "stalls" after the dreaded 3 week stall. Labs were always good and I lost only a little hair. Feels like I'm in a really good place for maintenance now.

I worked up to 1000-1200 calories per day logging everything with 80-100g of Protein exercising 5x per week and lost steady but not super fast. I had weeks I didn't lose much, maybe 1/2 pound, but no real "stalls" after the dreaded 3 week stall. Labs were always good and I lost only a little hair.

Sounds exactly like me. I really had to WORK to get my calories above 1000, but now I make at least 1050 every day. I aim for 100 grams of Protein. I work out 5 times a week. And my loss is slow and steady, with no stalls. I've never gone more than one week without losing. My labs have all been perfect. I did have Hair loss that started about 3.5 months out, but it had stopped by 5 months and never was visibly noticeable.

You've probably already read my frequent post about the Week-3 stall, but in case you missed it, please click the link and read the article. It will give you some idea about why it happens. For some it happens sooner, for others, later. You may be in the sooner group. Good luck and keep making good choices. Eventually it will break -- it has to.

Congratulations! You have reached The Dreaded Week-3 Stall. It's perfectly normal, and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or even longer. But don't worry – after that, the weight will start falling off if you stick to your program. And, the inches will continue to come off even while the scale isn't budging. Here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight again!

(Apologies to BP regulars who have seen this repeatedly, but it's a big deal to those who are going through it!)

Break your meals up if u haven't already. Don't eat after 7.

My doctor told me that people who lose a lot of weight pre-op get discouraged by how little they lose after. Thats why he doesn't put patients on pre-op diet just 3 days of clear liquid!

Stay positive and don't be upset, you took a step toward permanent solution. I think its time for you to start listening to your body and make your own decisions instead of following instructions to the dot. Good luck!