Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant and Lap Band

Hello friends!

So I've had my band for 5 years. Just recently (within the past 6 months) I got Fluid out of my band and then went on a binge for eating whatever I wanted, gained 40 pounds. But believe me it felt good to eat carbs again. Now i'm back to my normal fluid with my normal portions with the lapband but now my husband and I are wanting to get pregnant, so naturally I stopped my birthcontrol and here we are waiting. My doctor says she's fine with me having fluid in my band but we will have to be careful that I continue to get baby and me the right nutrition. Have any of you done pregnancy with fluid in your band? Let me know!

With both of my pregnancies now (currently almost 10 weeks pregnant) I was only able to keep my 'green zone' fill level in until last week. My body swells when I am pregnant and I get so tight I cannot keep food down. I had half of my Fluid taken out last pregnancy and gained 60 lbs! This time around, I only got 1.5 cc taken out so I can try to maintain some of the weight loss and not gain an excessive amount. I'm using My Fitness Pal again as well to try to keep myself in check.

I know there are people who can go through all or most of their pregnancy without getting an unfill and some get it all taken out right away. It really just depends on your surgeon and your body! I wanted to wait longer to get an unfill, but I just couldn't do it!

There is an actual forum for pregnancy with the band, that might help answer your questions better. But yes, you can still have Fluid in your band and go the whole pregnancy, some decide to be unfilled or partial unfill especially in the early stages because of nausea/vomiting (if you've never had the stomach bug while being banded, you're lucky...you go through the wretching, but nothing comes out, it's painful, and I don't recommend it...) also, in the later stages when the baby is so big it pushes on you stomach and diaphram and could cause reflux (this can happen without the band as well). Best of luck!

Just had a baby...I kept my Fluid in the whole time...near the end I had some issues with restriction and pain so I ate a lot of soft stuff...also had terrible acid reflux that has not gone away...going to see a Dr soon about that...but over all it can be done...I even lost 20 lbs while preg...they just monitored the baby..meaning more ultrasounds to make sure he was growing the way he was supposed to

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I had my daughter in November! I had a high risk pregnancy due to complications from a previous pregnancy and had no problems with the band while pregnant other than the port site being tender because it pushed against my skin more, baby always had her feet in that spot. All went well :) we had a healthy pregnancy and an easy delivery. Just be sure to get enough carbohydrates or to take folate supplements to avoid spina bifida.