Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

and what about breathing??

It's uncomfortable when I take deep breaths. I was banded on May 31st, and I wouldn't say that it hurts when I take a deep breath, but there is some definite discomfort and pressure. At first I attributed this to gas, but I just want to make sure. The pressure is in my belly area, and in my back. Anyone else have this?

I've been feeling great up until today, and I just don't want anything to go wrong. Thanks!!:help:

Hi Michelle -

I too had shortness of breath on the third morning after my surgery. Did you get one of those breathing apparatuses to test your breathing at home to prevent pneumonia? Work on that and walk around. For me the problem was the gas and the pain in my shoulders. I called the dr and they made me to go the ER for a bunch of tests that came bac negative. if it does persist after some time (walking and breathing exercises) I would call your dr. office just to make sure everything is good.

I hope this helps.... keep me posted.

thanks for the info!! I hadn't seen any previous posts about this so I was getting a little concerned!! I will follow your tips and see how that works!! Thanks again!

The gas has settled in my left shoulder and sometimes the pain is really bad. Especially when this occurs I have a hard time taking deep breaths. I was worried my lungs were filling up with Fluid. If you hold a pillow close taking deep breaths is easier. I didn't know that I was supposed to take the breathing thing home with me and so I just started taking 10 deep breaths an hour to clear my lungs. That helped alot.

I was banded on the 29th and feel a lot beter today but I still experience the pain in my shoulder. I'll be glad when that goes away.

I hope that helps for you.

It's uncomfortable when I take deep breaths. I was banded on May 31st, and I wouldn't say that it hurts when I take a deep breath, but there is some definite discomfort and pressure. At first I attributed this to gas, but I just want to make sure. The pressure is in my belly area, and in my back. Anyone else have this?

I've been feeling great up until today, and I just don't want anything to go wrong. Thanks!!:help:

Michelle -- I was banded on the 29th and that sounds similar to my experience except that I didn't have any pain from trapped gas.

By the way, have you SNEEZED yet? The first time I sneezed it hurt like a mofo where they put the port!

I found that by using a heating pad alternating from my back to my stomach help a lot with the gas pressure pain. You might try this, if you can't reach your doc. Best of luck on your new adventure.

You're just fine! It took about 2 weeks from my surgery to be able to take a deep breath comfortably.

I think the gas is going away, I slept all night with very little pain. Hooray!

How do you do that little Tickertape thing at the bottom of your post?

Mary

Mary. . for the ticker. . you can just click on mine, and it will take you to tickerfactory.com. It will allow you to choose the table and icon that you want, then you just provide your info. You can just copy and paste it into your signature. everytime you update the website (with your new weight), it will automatically update your signature here. Hope that's a good enough explanation.

Thanks!

i am having a definite tightness in my lungs and have trouble taking a deep breath. the hospital gave me an incentive spirometer and i have been using it. but whereas i could get up to 2500 before the surgery now i struggle to get to 1000. i have been worried i was going to get pneumonia. so i hope you are right that it take a couple weeks to breath normally.

debbie1k

when did you have surgery... are you walking around and using the heating pad to loosen things up?

debbie1k

when did you have surgery... are you walking around and using the heating pad to loosen things up?

Debbie,

That's how I felt too. I was worried I was getting pneumonia so I just made it a part of my recovery to deep breathe every hour. Hold a pillow across your chest and do the breathing exercises. It helps a lot. My surgery was on the 29th of May and I'm the same age as you. I did the hot pad and walked more and after two weeks that went away.

I still get the pain in the shoulder once in a while but even that's better.

Be well and I wish you the best.

Mary

Banded 05-29-07

Start weight 258

Currect weight 232