Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just tell me I'm doing the right thing!

Hi everyone, I guess I just need a little encouragement and support because I'm really beginning to feel frustrated with this whole process! I had Gastric By-Pass on January 16th. On February 3rd when I saw my surgeon for my first post-op appointment I had lost 30 pounds (this is from my first visit to his office December 30th). I was a real happy camper. Since that time I've lost 3 pounds. It's so frustrating.

I keep reading that in order to loose you should have between 800-1000 calories a day. Impossible for me at this point. I'm getting my Protein and my Water most days but hover between 500-600 calories. My next appoint isn't until March 17th with my surgeon. On the last visit he said 'eat between 2 and 3 meals a day, do not snack, do not use protein shakes'. Now tell me how am I suppose to up my calorie count this way. Do I need to stress or will the pounds finally come off at this calorie intake?

I have to tell you nothing tastes really good, eggs have begun to make me gag. I'm trying really hard to stay positive but I'll tell you this is really hard when the scales don't move at all. Any suggestions from those who have walked before me, or those who are walking the same steps I am now will be so appreciated. My energy level has improved slightly but I still tire so easily and I think it all hinges on how little fuel I'm giving my body.

Thanks in advance!!

Stalls are very common, especially the first stall that most people hit around three weeks after surgery. But each stall does end and weight loss resumes. The reason for the stall can vary, including too few calories. A stall can be difficult to pinpoint.

Don't worry about starving...fat stores are fuel. I felt the same way soon after surgery...like I'd wither away with so few calories. Nope, didn't happen. ;)

Your surgeon's request for 800-1000 calories in 3 meals with no snacking does seem impossible so soon after surgery without calorie-dense foods. What foods are allowed by your surgeon at this time? I also don't understand not allowing Protein shakes.

Does your bariatric center provide a nutritionist?

Best of luck on your journey!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

AlwaysVegas - I should clarify, my Surgeon didn't suggest any calorie count. He would like me not to count or weigh anything just take about the size of your palm for meals and stop when you are full, getting used to Portion Control and a sense of fullness. The calorie count is what I've read in the forums. I'm 5 1/2 weeks out and he gave me the go ahead earlier in the month to eat anything, mostly chewable foods, and of course the emphasis on Protein, no starches, little fat or fruit.

And! you have done wonderfully good luck on your last 5lbs!

Edited by Sunshine_Gal

My surgeon also prefers that his patients use food instead of Protein shakes. I do use them because they are convenient, help me get my Protein in, and are not harmful. As another poster said, stalls are common. You lost a lot of weight in just a few weeks. It will pick back up in time. I know it is hard to be patient but you will see more results. Also, with snacks- some doctors are not fans because of the dangers of grazing, however, if you are not getting your protein in, a cheese stick in the afternoon might do you a world of good- easy to get down and a good source of protein. I also think it would be a great idea to talk to a dietitian. As much as I respect surgeons for the work they do, dietetics are not their specialty. Hope things improve soon!

My Snacks and meals are pretty much identical! Who's to say turkey and cheese roll ups or a greek yogert or shrimp with avocado or the insides of a chicken taco are a meal or a snack? I can't eat enough as a "meal" to not need snacks.

I was told to not count calories--but to count Protein grams instead. And it's much easier! I am also allowed snacks--protein of course! Otherwise, I'm not sure how you would get your grams of protein in each day. Best of luck. And yes, stalls are normal and will happen periodically.

@@esskay77, I was told the exact same thing and I focus on grams of Protein. If I snack I snack on nuts, cheese or beef Jerky. I saw my nut today and the are extremely happy with my progress and eating behaviors.

I would never hit 75 of more Protein grams in a day without a Protein shake and without snacking,

Even though I don't count calories, I track my food intake everyday using fitness pal. I know if I am eating too much fat, or carbs but I don't really count. It helps me make better food choices.

Thanks everyone I so appreciate your great responses. It always helps to hear what others have done or are doing. And, most importantly, it helps knowing you aren't the odd duck out that something strange is happening to!!!

If you were me, would you wait and continue as is until my next Surgeons appt on the 17th of March, or would you add some Snacks to boost the Protein and calorie count?

Djmohr - How far out were you when you started eating nuts???

esskay77 - Do you worry about your fat grams count? Mine seems to be high and yet I eat low fat, no fat as often as possible. I am also tracking my food using Fat Secret. I pay attention to the Protein and Calories more than anything else but the Fat has seemed high.

Jess9395 - I think our brains revert back to what we used to consider 'snacks' now adays it's as you said, cheese, meat, nuts, etc.

Samuelsmom - I so agree and thanks for the link to the article. It was perfect for where I'm at now. I do agree as well that the Surgeon is wonderful but the Nut or Dietitian can be much more knowledgeable on the points of food. I was surprised that Medicare won't pay for any Dietitian or Nut counseling :-( I may check to see how much it costs anyway. The help may way out weight the dollars spent.

I was told to not worry about anything other than Protein grams at the beginning. At a certain point, and I don't remember when, maybe 6 months out, I then was told to start also counting carbs and fats. I was told 60-80 grams of Protein (though I think this can be up to 100 grams based on what I have read from others), 30 grams of fats and no more than 100 grams of carbs.

I am easily able to count protein but have a harder time with the fats and carbs. It's actually hard to get in the fats!

I had my surgery 4 days before you! I have a Protein shake a day and I also drink one bottle of Water with Protein called Protein20 (has 15 grams of protein). My pouch is so picky and barely holds 1/4 cup food. I can barely get any protein by eating food alone. That would be impossible for me.

Its so interesting how each doctor does something different!!

@@Sunshine_Gal, I was cleared to eat anything my tummy would tolerate at 3 months. I believe the first thing I tried was a very small amount of almonds. I think I ate about 9 the first few times. Later I found that I tolerate cashews, pistachios and pecans better. Now I love them all.

I will only snack on a 1/4 cup if that or a piece of beef jerkey or an ounce of cheese.< /p>

Congratulations! It sounds like you have reached The Dreaded Week-3 Stall. In fact, you're probably just about done with it. It's perfectly normal, and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or even longer. But don't worry – after that, the weight will start falling off if you stick to your program. And, the inches will continue to come off even while the scale isn't budging. Here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight again!

(Apologies to BP regulars who have seen this repeatedly, but it's a big deal to those who are going through it!)

I've too have been at a stall and frustrated! I am 3 months post-op, RNY. My physician said at this point I should be consuming between 600-800 calories and 70 grams of Protein per day. I am right around 600 calories per day and I get between 60-70 grams of protein. My NUT told me she does not care how I get my protein as long as I get it either from food or shakes. I do a shake a day (Premier Protein, 30 grams of protein) and the rest I get from food. I also have 2-3 Snacks per day usually a slice of cheese, a cup of lactose free fat free milk, or mixed nuts. This has just changed for me because previously before my doctors appointment I was consuming between 300-400 calories per day and an average of 40-50 grams of protein per day. I was told I need to step it up because my weight loss will stall and I will start losing more hair. :( So I stepped it up and I am full all day! Eating is a chore for me. Hoping my weight loss starts up again before I pull my hair out! LOL Best of luck to you. :)

@@SandyS Thanks so much, I appreciate the input and guess I'm pretty much on track. It's such a learning curve, I guess I had blinders on because I didn't realize there would be. I think my solution is to add a couple of Snacks, similar to yours to get my Protein up to at least the 60-80 a day. I get close but not quite there.