Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair falling out/ loose skin?

I just wanted to hear from others who have lost over 100 pounds. I wanted advice about how to get a better handle on your hair falling out and what exercises you recommend to help minimize loose skin. What age are you while going thru this and what did you do or notice that you feel others should know? I am 31 years old and I want to lose 120 pounds.

What would be your biggest must do to someone who fears all those things but know that the end result is better than the small stuff?

I just wanted to hear from others who have lost over 100 pounds. I wanted advice about how to get a better handle on your hair falling out and what exercises you recommend to help minimize loose skin. What age are you while going thru this and what did you do or notice that you feel others should know? I am 31 years old and I want to lose 120 pounds.
What would be your biggest must do to someone who fears all those things but know that the end result is better than the small stuff?

I am 31 and 4 months post op. I have very little skin, and I am at 92 pounds lost so far. I did just a few weeks ago notice more hair coming out but it is not bad. I take TONS of Biotin and started doing it 6 months before surgery so my hair was as healthy as possible. I also make sure I meet my Protein goals every day using 2 shakes a day that have 30 g of Protein in them.

My surgery is at the end of March this year, but I am worried about losing my hair and the excess skin. I have 200 pounds to lose and have no idea what to expect from my body. Sure, I've read the posts and have an idea what happens in general - but our bodies are so different between each of us, it's hard to know what will happen to whom.

Thank you for this post - I find it helpful and look forward to reading the responses.

By the date of my surgery I will be 31 yrs old. I am having surgery on march 16th, 4 days after my birthdate. I am also concerned about Hair loss and loose skin. I wanted to know if wearing Spanx help? What Vitamins do you all recommend to prevent as much hair loss! I'll take all the advice I can get! :)

By the date of my surgery I will be 31 yrs old. I am having surgery on march 16th, 4 days after my birthdate. I am also concerned about hair loss and loose skin. I wanted to know if wearing Spanx help? What Vitamins do you all recommend to prevent as much hair loss! I'll take all the advice I can get! :)

I am also very concerned about Hair loss, but from all my conversations with the surgical team and my hairdresser, I've learned that you can do all the right things and still lose hair. For most people, even those who lose a lot of hair, it's much less noticeable to others than to yourself. You can stack the deck in your favor by getting all your Protein in every day, but even then sometimes you'll still lose. Some people don't lose any hair, some people lose a lot. Thank goodness, it's temporary. It starts about 4 months post-surgery and generally ends a few months later.

While there isn't much you can do to prevent losing hair, there are things you can do to promote Hair growth and regrowth. I take 10,000mcg of Biotin every day, and have since a week after surgery. I'm two months post-surgery now, and I have tons of tiny new hairs that surround my head like a halo when I pull my hair back into a pony. So I know I'm getting lots of new growth from Biotin (and my nails are great too!), which gives me a lot of comfort about the amount that may fall out.

As for Spanx, they can definitely help hold lose skin in place and smooth things out under your clothes, but they won't prevent the loose skin from developing. The best thing for that is lots of exercise, especially weight training, but it's possible you'll still have loose skin leftover and you'll need to decide if you're okay with it or have it removed via plastics.

Good luck!

I am also very concerned about hair loss, but from all my conversations with the surgical team and my hairdresser, I've learned that you can do all the right things and still lose hair. For most people, even those who lose a lot of hair, it's much less noticeable to others than to yourself. You can stack the deck in your favor by getting all your Protein in every day, but even then sometimes you'll still lose. Some people don't lose any hair, some people lose a lot. Thank goodness, it's temporary. It starts about 4 months post-surgery and generally ends a few months later.

While there isn't much you can do to prevent losing hair, there are things you can do to promote Hair growth and regrowth. I take 10,000mcg of Biotin every day, and have since a week after surgery. I'm two months post-surgery now, and I have tons of tiny new hairs that surround my head like a halo when I pull my hair back into a pony. So I know I'm getting lots of new growth from Biotin (and my nails are great too!), which gives me a lot of comfort about the amount that may fall out.

As for Spanx, they can definitely help hold lose skin in place and smooth things out under your clothes, but they won't prevent the loose skin from developing. The best thing for that is lots of exercise, especially weight training, but it's possible you'll still have loose skin leftover and you'll need to decide if you're okay with it or have it removed via plastics.

Good luck!

Thank you for your response. ???? I appreciate the tip. I had not heard of biotin, I'll start taking now. I start my post op diet on the 11th. Super excited but a bit nervous. I can't wait! ????

I need to start working out now. I have joint pain and it's hard for me to exercise so I avoid it but need to get over it so it won't be as hard once I have the surgery.

By the date of my surgery I will be 31 yrs old. I am having surgery on march 16th, 4 days after my birthdate. I am also concerned about hair loss and loose skin. I wanted to know if wearing Spanx help? What Vitamins do you all recommend to prevent as much hair loss! I'll take all the advice I can get! :)

I am also very concerned about Hair loss, but from all my conversations with the surgical team and my hairdresser, I've learned that you can do all the right things and still lose hair. For most people, even those who lose a lot of hair, it's much less noticeable to others than to yourself. You can stack the deck in your favor by getting all your Protein in every day, but even then sometimes you'll still lose. Some people don't lose any hair, some people lose a lot. Thank goodness, it's temporary. It starts about 4 months post-surgery and generally ends a few months later.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing! I am taking Biotin now and will continue to do so. Surgery is in April.

I am ok with the skin if it occurs because I told my hubby that if I lose the weight I want to, and skin is an issue, as a reward to myself, mommy makeover here I come!

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing! I am taking Biotin now and will continue to do so. Surgery is in April.

I am ok with the skin if it occurs because I told my hubby that if I lose the weight I want to, and skin is an issue, as a reward to myself, mommy makeover here I come!

thank you ladies for your response! I haven't had much luck with responses on here. I appreciate you taking the time. I have a couple acquaintances that have had this surgery but even then I feel like I'm bothering them with some questions so I have been doing a lot of reading on forums and have posted a coup questions on here. I went and bought some biotin today and started taking them now. :) my surgery is a little over a week on the 16th! Eeeeek! ????????

My surgery in march 16th, I'm using an essential oil called slim and sassy by doterra and Bio oil to hopefully help with loose skin. Prob will have to work out those part like abs, thighs and arms a lot to get them in a good shape. Also depends on how fast you loose I think but I'm not sure.

My surgery in march 16th, I'm using an essential oil called slim and sassy by doterra and Bio oil to hopefully help with loose skin. Prob will have to work out those part like abs, thighs and arms a lot to get them in a good shape. Also depends on how fast you loose I think but I'm not sure.

we will be having surgery the same day! :) good luck with your journey. ???????? I've been doing a coconut oil and pure Vitamin E oil blend every day after I shower to help with elasticity. I'm going to have to start workout to tone those areas as well.

I am 45 about a year and half out, I have lost 110 lbs. hair loss...it will happen for some a lot others a little, there is no magic formula to prevent it. I took Biotin a year before hand and every day since, I have gotten 60 to 100 grams of Protein a day since week 2. I started losing hair around month 3 and it didn't slow until month 10 but at the same time I was getting new growth. It was more of a thinning not notable chunks, my husband only really noticed when I pointed it out.

Loose skin, I think genetics and age plays a role in this, drinking your Water and doing some toning will help, some will shrink up others will not depending on the elasticity in your skin. I am a truck driver and have gotten no exercise, I'm not tone by any means but I don't have a lot of hanging skin. I plan on changing jobs this summer so I can get fit and I know I will tone right up, not to say a couple areas don't need plastics. Good luck

Hi all , I'm 7 weeks post op and I was just wondering for those taking Biotin, are they chewables? I have only seen them in caplets and I am under the impression we are not allowed to swallow whole pills. Please tell me if they are chewables and what brand. I would love to start taking Biotin. My hair is still very healthy and I would love to maintain it that way . Thank you

@@Pocahantas they do make a chewable and melts. I have found them at CVS Sam's Club and also Barimelts.com.

Hi all , I'm 7 weeks post op and I was just wondering for those taking Biotin, are they chewables? I have only seen them in caplets and I am under the impression we are not allowed to swallow whole pills. Please tell me if they are chewables and what brand. I would love to start taking Biotin. My hair is still very healthy and I would love to maintain it that way . Thank you

hi! I am pre-op and am taking the pills now but I found and purchased some "hair skin and nails" gummies and melts at Walmart that I a plan on taking post-op once I start eating solids. Hope this helps :)

Ladies, let me put it like this: the only thing that will stop your falling hair is the floor.

You can take as much Biotin as you possibly can, you can eat all the Protein you want, you will still lose hair. Some lose little, for a few months, some lose a lot and struggles for years.

Get mentally ready coz it's not easy, seeing your hair in the bathtub!!!

Mine started to fall out on month 3, stopped around month 6-7, now it's normal, but I had to opt for a short style and also I stopped washing my hair often. You will see most hairloss during hairwash. I started to wash my hair once a week and used dry Shampoo in between. It helped, hairloss slowed down.

The struggle is real...