Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Gets You Off Track?

What Gets You Off Track?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is most likely to derail your efforts?

• Temptation. If I have access to any of my favorites like chocolate cake or macaroni and cheese at a meal, or candy between meals, I’m done being good and it’s really tough to get back on track.
    • Stress. When I’m stressed out or too busy, I can’t gather my thoughts and willpower, and I don’t eat and exercise right.
    • Guilt. I fall apart when someone says I’m working out too long and should be spending the time with my family instead, or they tell me I should eat their chocolate chip cookies to show I love them.
    • Nasty comments, like “You can’t do this,” or “The surgery is cheating” or “Obviously it’s not working; what’s the point?”
    • Other. Read my answer below!

A lot of weight loss surgery patients are a bit streaky. We have good periods where we eat well and exercise right. That suddenly give way to a bad spell. Sometimes, just a simple trigger can get us off track and cause far more harm than we expect. Which of the following is most likely to derail your efforts?

• Temptation. If I have access to any of my favorites like chocolate cake or macaroni and cheese at a meal, or candy between meals, I’m done being good and it’s really tough to get back on track.
  • Stress. When I’m stressed out or too busy, I can’t gather my thoughts and willpower, and I don’t eat and exercise right.
  • Guilt. I fall apart when someone says I’m working out too long and should be spending the time with my family instead, or they tell me I should eat their chocolate chip Cookies to show I love them.
  • Nasty comments, like “You can’t do this,” or “The surgery is cheating” or “Obviously it’s not working; what’s the point?”
  • Other. Read my answer below!

Mark your answer, then explain it in the conversation. Taking a few seconds to think about what gets you off track can help you be on the lookout so you don’t get derailed.Plus, letting others know what gets you off track can help them figure out what to watch for in their own weight loss journeys!

Off-track.jpg

I would say that, until very recently, what has gotten me off track is slow weight loss. I think I've gotten my mind right about it in the past month or so, but initially, I found myself getting frustrated with my "slow" loss and thought, "why bother working so hard for so little reward?" That would make me go off track with my exercise, or maybe eat some foods I shouldn't. Because I'd get this mentality that it wasn't worth being so perfect and diligent to only loss a pound or less per week.

I really feel like I've shifted my perspective the last month or so and I've buckled down and worked on my exercise and food in spite of my "slow" loss. Rather than think about weight loss as my motivation for being diligent about those things, I've decided to focus on better health. If I'm fueling my body well and exercising regularly, even if I don't lose weight, I am certainly getting healthier!

I think temptation is my worst problem. I also think slow loss slows my motivation and temptation to eat the wrong food is justified by my lack of weight loss. (in my mind).

I would say that, until very recently, what has gotten me off track is slow weight loss. I think I've gotten my mind right about it in the past month or so, but initially, I found myself getting frustrated with my "slow" loss and thought, "why bother working so hard for so little reward?" That would make me go off track with my exercise, or maybe eat some foods I shouldn't. Because I'd get this mentality that it wasn't worth being so perfect and diligent to only loss a pound or less per week.

Ha! I know you know you're preaching to the choir, sister! ;)

My "OTHER" is BOREDOM!!!!! In the evening, when I'm watching TV and my husband is sleeping, I'm tempted. Most days I resist with a cup of tea or Protein bar.

I ticked 'other' because what gets me off track is emotional triggers. I have control issues and have gone back to dating over the last few months. The one thing I cannot control, though I keep trying to, is how someone feels about me...or how the relationship is going.

It's why I work with the therapist on this. So I can deal with rejection without turning to food...and without blaming myself if the relationship doesn't go well. I'm really working hard on dealing with the fact that sometimes it has nothing to do with me at all.

I'm sure other control freaks out there can understand where I'm coming from.

Sometimes I wish it was a simple as boredom or stress. That's easier to fix than this thing I'm dealing with.

Last week my employer decided employees cannot merge their walking time and lunch, so it will be impossible to use the gym during lunchtime. Only after work.

I spend 3 hours a day driving to<->from work so I have Little time left over.

Now I just hit the gym on the way home.