Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else dealing with Mental Body Image issues? Need Input

Hey everyone! Been a while since I posted. Im sure Im not alone in this subject or maybe I do Have a issue going on upstairs an I am the odd one. IDK but I am 7 months PO 100 pds down an the last few months I have been fighting mentally about this new body image! I am estatic about this so far but at the same time I have really became insecure in my looks. as crazy as it sounds this is really getting to me. been having some anxiety an still dressing in seperate room etc...also sjograns is really doing a number on me the last 6 to 8 months I go to another dr this wk getting a second opinion hoping that will get straightened out soon. I am having fun shopping again! But the fact of the matter is I dont like this feeling of insecurity or feeling exposed if that makes any sense. I went thru 10 yrs of therapy stopped bc I reached a point where I got the results it was intending to do. its been 2 yrs since talk therapy I was still fat at the time but it was what it was. I was told by my therapist that some ppl go thru this after losing a ton of weight well it has hit! like a brick wall. theres days I walk an strut (got my self confidance back) but on the other hand theres days that I want to hide so no one sees me...ugh..such an inner struggle. am I the weird odd one here going thru this or has gone thru this ? any input would be appreciated..and BTW I have another 30 to 40 pds to go yet! my hubs tells me daily how hot I am looking an can't keep his hands off of me he has always been my biggest supporter ever since we'v been married. 16 yrs this yr. we were both married 20 yrs in previous marriages whom our ex's used us. now we are happily married yet with me adjusting to this new body is kinda freaking me out....TIA

From other posts I've read, a lot of us go through this. I am down 40lbs (surgery 12/3/14), and it shows, but what I see is different than what my husband sees. I have been overweight for so long it seems that image is permanently etched into my head. I see the smaller clothes fitting, and being able to pull the car seat closer to the steering wheel, and being able to bend over and tie my shoes, and being able to cross my legs.....but the image is STILL there! Maybe I just need to give it more time, after all, it took many years for this image to get permanently etched! Time will tell! Good luck to you!

I can totally get what you're saying. I definitely find I have body issues. Am still pre-op, but when I took my "before" pics in underwear, I was just appalled. When I was younger and weighed a lot less, I thought I was huge and gross. Now I weigh 100lbs more and am surprised at how big I am. Could NOT believe the picture of me from behind - where did that ass come from??? I started thinking about what it will feel like to lose weight and I do understand the idea of feeling more exposed. I think I have this weight on me at least in part as armor to protect me somehow. Def think I need to follow your lead and get a therapist!

Good luck. My advice is to listen to your husband more than the voice in your head right now!