Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone kept their procedure a secret?

I thought about keeping it a secret but I decided to let my coworkers know and a few family members who are close. I figure it's my life and my decision and if I want to live a healthier lifestyle with the help of weight loss surgery nothin was going to stop me. I previously had the lapband in 2011 which failed and was removed and converted to the sleeve this last week. Is anyone is going to judge me for wanting to live healthy and get my life back than I don't need them in my life. I did this not only for myself but for my kids because I want to be more active for them and show them healthy eating habits, not like before I had surgery eating serving after serving. To me keeping t a secret was more work and stress than just telling people and letting them judge, cause if they were going to judge me for wanting to live a healthier life than I don't need them in my life. But that's just my opinion, I think weight loss surgery is a great thing some don't, but don't let others opinions distract your journey! You'll do great either way

Edited by Lopez1628

It's tough. You are not cheating, but you are doing what works for you. Many people don't understand that and will become negative. It is important to have some support.

Perhaps you can find someone you can trust by bringing it up in an indirect way (like refer to it as someone else's decision) and see the reaction.

I'm 27 6ft 345lbs and getting the procedure done march 25 and still haven't told ANYONE about it. i feel like I'm cheating my way into losing weight. i honestly don't plan on telling anyone and just say I'm on a "Diet"

Like plenty of people on here, i don't plan on spending my 30's like my 20's.

Cheating?

Committing to a surgically altered intestines and/or stomach, a lifetime commitment to eating differently (from when we were obese), exercising regularly, etc. is not cheating.

I have had no one say to me that I was "cheating" or "taking the easy way out" (who knows, maybe they said it behind my back). In fact, everyone who found out about this surgery has been supportive. They know I was very obese and the long term prognosis of being that obese at my 50 years of age was not very good.

I've told my mom and my closest friends that live miles away. They seem supportive. But I'm not telling anyone else. I'm creeping up on my 10 year reunion. I wanna walk in like wahhhhh

I've told my two best friends who live 1000+ miles away and of course my husband knows. I will tell everyone else that I am on a healthy journey (which isn't a lie). I just don't want to deal with any judgment etc.. I also don't want to answer any questions.

I am telling no one except my partner because we live together and well she will help take care of me after and be there for my surgery.

No one needs to know other than her and I will tell no one.

I started spreading the word at Christmas that I was seeing a nutritionist and starting a new diet the 1st of the year. If anyone asks I tell them high Protein , low to no carbs.

As for surgery itself, I have taken time off work for surgery...Hiatial hernia repair. That's what I told them and honestly, it's all they need to know.

Close enough I say! ????

I had my surgery 3 months ago and to this day I have not told a single person and I don't see the need to. People have commented that I eat very little, but (to my knowledge) nobody has made the connection that it's related to surgery. I've just told people I'm watching my portion sizes.

I'm hoping to have my surgery in June I have told me coworkers close friends and a few family members. I don't care what anybody has to say that is negative it's my decision and my mind is made up. My health is more important than people's negative opinions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Victoryw

I had my surgery 3 months ago and to this day I have not told a single person and I don't see the need to. People have commented that I eat very little, but (to my knowledge) nobody has made the connection that it's related to surgery. I've just told people I'm watching my portion sizes.

this is exactly what i do. when i go out to eat its always a salad since its not a heavy meal and i tell people i cut rice and bread but little do they know i really can't eat that, since it will fill me up to fast. i get little looks from family members that know something is up but they wouldn't think that i did the surgery. its so funny!

Hey!

I need to finish all of my pre-op requirements first, but there are a lot of people in my life who don't know about it. My parents and my husband know, and one of my three sisters know. Most likely the two others will find out (because, if insurance cooperates, then I will be having surgery around Thanksgiving), but I am keeping it a secret from most people in my life.

Some of it is shame for me, but some of it is just that this is a personal decision. My body, my choice! =]

i'm 22 and almost 2 weeks out... i only told a few people. at first just my mom and my 3 roommates, as i figured if i didn't explain they might think i had developed an eating disorder. i told my dad the night before surgery because my mom decided if i didn't tell him she would, which was frustrating. i think 2 other people know as one of my roommates didn't realize i intended to keep it private, but they all now know to not tell anyone. anyone else who needed to know i was having surgery, i told them i was having laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery as it's a similar procedure, and technically not false seeing as my reflux issues were fixed during surgery.

even with just those people knowing, it's been difficult. my one roommate in particular is almost identical to me in body type pre-op--same height and she only had about 15lbs on me--and while she's trying to be supporting, she's lashed out at me a few times over it. makes me glad i didn't tell anyone else.

@@elliekay

You might as well brace yourself, your roomate that was a similiar weight to you, is probably going to blab you had surgery.

Once you lose more weight and are solidly smaller than her and getting a lot of attention for it, and wearing normal sizes, she won't be able to hold it in. Likely embarrassing you in front of guys or something.

So just get ready that this might happen, hopefully it doesn't and you inspire her to eat better but if she keeps lashing out...

When is your lease up?

@@elliekay

You might as well brace yourself, your roomate that was a similiar weight to you, is probably going to blab you had surgery.

Once you lose more weight and are solidly smaller than her and getting a lot of attention for it, and wearing normal sizes, she won't be able to hold it in. Likely embarrassing you in front of guys or something.

So just get ready that this might happen, hopefully it doesn't and you inspire her to eat better but if she keeps lashing out...

When is your lease up?

this is one of the reasons why i kept mine a secret, some people just don't like it when you're doing better than them so they lash out and want to blab on how we "cheated" our way into losing weight. so far my secret has not been told to anyone but my mom and brother. going on 1yr 5 months now, not one peep. i get some looks on peoples faces that tell me they might have a hunch that i got the procedure done but i just put my poker face on lol

I haven't told anyone but my family (and not all of them) and only 2 friends. I told work that I'm having a hiatal hernia repaired. My issue now is that one of my supervisors is asking questions about which dr, and where he'll be performing the surgery, and will it be an overnight stay, etc. ... Know her well and am expecting this so want to be prepared with the answers. So far, I've just said that all I know is the date.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I told my mom about my lap band surgery back in 09, and thats about it.

I've always been a private person, and to change now would be unnatural.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App