Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone!

I am new here. 32 years old and female. I am scheduled to have my Gastric Sleeve surgery on April 14. During the 6 month diet process I have had trouble and am still having trouble figuring out what to eat, mainly because I am a picky eater and also because I really never know what to do with a bunch of ingredients.

I was once a big time starch eater; mostly Pasta, pizza, rice, etc. However I started cutting it out of my diet for the sake of my surgery and the weight-loss alone from cutting that has been decent. I started drinking Protein powders (mostly BSN Syntha 6 because the flavors are tasty) about 5 months ago. Now my diet consist mostly of Protein powder, low fat string cheese, Beans, non starchy vegetables, eggs, and chicken or turkey sources with the occasional Peanut Butter on something or some plain oatmeal with smart balance butter and salt or grits (since I prefer that) and Fage greek yogurt with salt (since it makes it taste like cream cheese).

I guess my problem is that I am getting bored with the food choices available and have literally been struggling to train my palate to like oatmeal and yogurt (since I never liked them ever growing up). I eat fruit occasionally, but don't really like sweets since I've weened off of sugar a couple years ago and now drink my teas sugar free.< /span>

I was wondering if anybody who is pre-surgical or post surgical can offer some advice for me. For the past 2 weeks or so I have eaten close to nothing because I don't feel hungry and I also don't want to regain the weight. This is where the "borderline anorexia" bit comes in. Can somebody please help me get through this so I can have a successful surgery and heal properly?

Thanks!

Keyo

Get counseling. Seriously. I am not saying this to be "mean" or "judgmental", I am saying this because it sounds as if you are switching from one eating disorder to another.

Yes, I had surgery to lose weight, but I wanted to lose weight for my HEALTH. Don't put your health at risk in your efforts to get to a healthier weight.

You need to find the balance.

I am already in counseling, so that isn't the problem. I'm really just looking for other picky eaters and people who found themselves in a similar situation to me. How did they get past their problem, etc?

I think your comment was kind of rude and assuming things. Thanks for replying though.

Just trying to be honest, you don't sound like a picky eater. Lots of people have a list of foods they eat routinely. I am so NOT a picky eater but my regular rotation isn't that much longer than yours. How about try adding some new veggies or a different way of preparing a veggie or chicken?

The title of your post implies even you agree that eating"next to nothing" for 2weeks might not be healthy behavior - particularly given the reasons you mentioned. Having said that, I try to listen to my body and eat a bit more or less depending on the message. I cant tell if that is what you are talking about or if it's more food control type issues. If you look at it objectively, the difference is clear...one is healthy and one might not be.

I recognize you felt 'LL did not understand you and perhaps I don't either.

Have you passed the psychological exam yet?

Edit to add: the doc may be able to provide insight into it the surgery would be doable for you with your eating habits

Edited by sunflowerchild

My psychological exam was fine Sunflower. Cowgirl, I am indeed picky. If I list the foods I don't like in comparisson to foods I do like, it would be obvious.

I'm just new to this and don't know what I am doing and never did. Even the nutritionist suggestions didn't help none as they were general and didn't apply to my specific needs.

My body has stopped sending hunger symptoms so I never feel hungry. No rumble, no anything. Then when I have a headache and feeling weak I know I must eat something. There are a lot of "don'ts" on the list the nutritionist gave me with a lot of "Do" under things I just cannot stomach, so I have an even limited amount of things I could eat.

I never really knew how to put together meals in my entire life, so with a smaller list of things to eat, how am I supposed to know what to eat now? That is my problem.

I signed up here because I figured most if not all of you went through this stage and might actually have some helpful advice instead of brushing off, assuming, or criticizing me. None of us on here was ever thin until the surgery, so people should remember that.

I have physical health problems with my spine and stuff and so this surgery is needed to get surgery and stay healthy. My health other than physical problems I was born with is perfectly normal.

Well, thanks everyone for at least taking time to answer, though it isn't very helpful for me. :(

I'm just not sure what you are asking? Is it that you are looking for meal ideas or ... ?

By the way I didn't see anyone brushing you off or criticizing you here.

Edited by woo woo

Check out the nutritional subforum on here for a number of great recipes for all stages. There are also links on there to other sites like the world according to eggface and bariatric foodie. WLS is a lot of work with different struggles for different people. Sounds like your struggle is finding food you like. That's where the work comes in....you'll have to learn how to prepare meals that you like, because this is for life. Take a cooking class, buy different cookbooks, sit down with your nutritionist and discuss your specific concerns, rather than just the general stuff.

And not to be a smartass, but if you are already eating very little, why are you bothering with surgery? All it really does is help with Portion Control, which doesn't seem to be a problem for you. Without making other changes, all of your food issues will still be waiting for you postop and you will end up unhappy and unhealthy.

Edited by Kindle

@@Keyo I think everyone runs into that problem when they are entirely bored with what they are eating. As Cowgirl mentioned many of us are eating what you listed. To get past boredom, try googling Bariatric friendly recipes and Protein shake recipes. I began doing this PreOp and have continued PostOp. Btw, a great bariatric recipe blog is World According to Eggface. But, here's the thing. It will take you actually trying the recipes for your boredom to resolve.

Regarding the mention of anorexia in the title and eating only when you have a headache or feel weak. That's some concerning stuff for.anyone to read. I'm sure you are already aware that this behavior is unhealthy. A healthy solution to not feeling hunger is to schedule your meals and Snacks. Since surgery, I have not felt hunger, so I setup alarms on my cellphone so that I don't forget. And here's the thing...it will take you actually trying the alarm thing in order for this hunger free issue to resolve.

I hope you do not see this post as criticizing and/or judgemental. I, like the others who posted are trying to help. I think you are halfway there. You recognize the problems. I just hope you will give the above solutions a try.

Edited by ProjectMe

I will try the suggestions you guys are giving me. I am just so frustrated right now and dealing with a lot in my life. Sorry if I came off so rudely before. I am only getting the surgery because my other surgeon wants it to be done for long-term weight-loss. I am having Portion Control, but might end up binge eating again if I don't get the surgery. The surgery will force me to have to stay in control.

Thanks again guys. I will talk to my counselor more and ask the nutritionists again for ideas. The link to recipes will be helpful too.

I am only getting the surgery because my other surgeon wants it to be done for long-term weight-loss. I am having Portion Control, but might end up binge eating again if I don't get the surgery. The surgery will force me to have to stay in control.

No worries about the rudeness...we get it. But I do want to talk about what you stated above. I'm not sure you are aware how easy it is to cheat WLS. WLS is only a tool. It doesn't prevent you from eating around it. A guy in my support group gained all the weight back and then some because he grazed all day, ate whatever he wanted to (even if it hurt), and was even putting his favorite candy bars in the blender with his Protein shakes! Unfortunately a true story.

While it's nice that your Dr. is so supportive of WLS...it is important to be realistic. This surgery is for you. Your Dr. wont have to deal with any complications that arise or the lifestyle changes that are required. This is your decision...not your Drs. or therapist or nutritionist.

Edited by ProjectMe

One of the biggest downfalls of the standard American diet is that most of what we eat now is processed in a factory, and we have no recall of what real food tastes like. It just takes a while to get used to real food in it's natural state. macaroni, bread, and crackers don't grow on vines. You may need to find some Youtube cooking videos or monitor some Paleo or Primal sites like Mark's Daily Apple. Eggface is a good site and is mentioned here often.

I was 54 before I ever tasted an avocado, sunchoke, artichoke, asparagus, olive oil, hummus, pomegranate, squash, zuchinni, quinoa, cayenne, coconut milk, almond milk, Greek yogurt, ricotta, asiago cheese, gouda cheese, feta cheese, mascarpone, muenster, neufechatel, dill, pesto, tahini, green tea, kale, eggplant, jicama, tomatillos, shitake mushrooms, capers, tofu, basmati rice, black eyed peas, cannellini Beans, endamame, and prosciutto. This does not include casseroles and Entrees that I was used to, but had never been made from scratch with fresh ingredients.

How did that happen? I grew up on TV dinners, Pop Tarts, hot dogs and Kraft macaroni and Cheese because my mother did not enjoy cooking. Eight years ago I met my boyfriend who is a Maltese citizen. He has intoduced me to the Mediterranean style of cooking. Between him and my daughter who became a vegetarian, I have been exposed to all of those foods that I had only heard of but had never tried. Nope, I did not like them all, and I still think tofu is disgusting, but almost everything else is delicious - and I had no idea.

So, be brave. Try new stuff and get adventurous in the kitchen. You aren't doomed a life of boiled chicken and unsalted geen Beans. I wish you good luck and good health.

I am still pre-op and up until the past couple of years cooked very little. I have a small kitchen and have been cooking much more. When I say cooking, I am talking very simple stuff (not complicated ingredients).

For instance, tonight I made tilapia. I adapted a recipe I found on Pinterest by searching frozen tilapia (I didn't want to have to thaw it overnight). I put frozen tilapia in a pan that I sprayed with olive oil. Put a little butter on top and some 21 spice seasoning. Put it in a preheated toaster oven. After it had been in the oven a while I sprinkled some Parmesan/Asiago blend on top. When it was done I served it with some green Beans that I nuked. Pretty easy and I thought it was delicious. I had a banana for desert.

To meal plan, focus on a Protein and add a vegetable. Since I am minimizing carbs I don't always have a carb but sometimes do quinoa, rice or similar since I am still pre-op.

When I have a fruit I try to make it a whole fruit (banana, Apple, plums, cherries, pears, and oranges are some of my favorites).

Miss Mac, I love Mediterranean food! Do you have any easy recipes you could share?