Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help! I am sure this is a cry heard often in these forums, but I just now started my agonizing 6 month wait period before I can have my surgery. I just don't know how I'm going to make it? This surgery is all I can think about! Can anyone share with me their experience getting through this time period? Was it horribly slow or did it go by quickly? What should I be doing to modify my behaviors. I need to take some sort of action and get busy. Thank you all! - Vicki

I bought a fit bit. The cheap one that just clips to my bra. Every day I try to beat the day before. That's it. No huge # to meet. Just do better than the day before. Also I am quitting sodas now so its not a big deal later, and trying to cut back on the bread too. My focus is going to be on preparing mentally for this challenge, because I think that is going to be the hardest part. They are giving us the tool, now we will have to mentally carry out this process. Follow directions, and remember that we paid to have this done to us. And we wanted it, and by golly, we are going to make goal!

That's what I am doing. I am also blogging and driving my husband nuts. That part seems fun!

I did the six months wait and yes i joined this site so i can get ideas and tips…It might be a long wait but, make the wait worth while start the gym or walking more..And make the wait a positive be strong and the time will pass quickly.

Edited by Pepper123

Welcome Vicki!! I'm half way through my six month wait! My third appointment is next week and it seems like the first three months have gone really fast!

I've been doing a lot to prep myself for surgery by watching YouTube videos, reading blogs, and this board is a big help! Everyone has been so nice and have always provided good advice! And - I purchased The BIG Book on the Gastric Sleeve - downloaded it to my iPad. I just started reading it last night. So I'm hoping that this will help pass some more time!

Ugh, it sucks, doesn't it? I have ten months to go. It's all i can think about! If not the surgery itself, I'm thinking about food and exercise.

I too bought a fitbit and am back on a last ditch diet attempt.

Edited by mrs kaje

I began making lifestyle changes pre-surgery. Six months is a wonderful amount of time to start incorporating healthy changes:

• Begin eating lower calories.
  • Begin eating lower carbs.
  • Begin eating lower fats.
  • Quit drinking sodas.
  • Quit drinking alcohol.
  • Quit drinking caffeine.
  • Try different Protein shakes to see which ones you like.
  • Watch LOTS of youtube videos from people who've had the surgery.
  • Begin walking.
  • Begin going to the gym.
  • Learn how to cook healthier meals.

There is SO much you can do in this time to prepare yourself for a successful post-op healthy lifestyle. The more changes you make pre-op, the easier your post-op transition will be.

I'm right there with you... On month 3 of 6 and I just want to be post op already. The WLS center that I'm going to focuses on starting the behaviors you'll need to follow post-op during the 6 months.

This includes making sure your Protein intake is adequate (at least 60 grams). Eat Protein first. Then veggies if still hungry then healthy carbs.

Measure everything!

Track everything (myfitnesspal)

Another big one- Water consumption. At least 64 oz daily. Start following the rule of no drinking 15 min before, during and 30 mins after a meal.

Cut out carbonated beverages.

Exercise. Start doing 10-15 mins 3 days a week and work up to 40-45 mins at least 4 days a week.

It's so hard to wait! I'm almost at the halfway point of my three months and while in some ways the time has dragged, in other ways it just seems like yesterday that I started this process. Lots of good ideas in the replies here. Learn as much as you can, prepare as much as you can and your day will be here before you know it!

I began making lifestyle changes pre-surgery. Six months is a wonderful amount of time to start incorporating healthy changes:

• Begin eating lower calories.
  • Begin eating lower carbs.
  • Begin eating lower fats.
  • Quit drinking sodas.
  • Quit drinking alcohol.
  • Quit drinking caffeine.
  • Try different Protein shakes to see which ones you like.
  • Watch LOTS of youtube videos from people who've had the surgery.
  • Begin walking.
  • Begin going to the gym.
  • Learn how to cook healthier meals.

There is SO much you can do in this time to prepare yourself for a successful post-op healthy lifestyle. The more changes you make pre-op, the easier your post-op transition will be.

I love this! Each month I chose one or more of these to attack (I am in 6 month pre op diet) and then carry forward. It makes me feel like I am already contributing to my success when I look back and see that I am able to make the changes and stick with them. I haven't had a carbonated drink since December which was really hard for me, but now even my family knows not to order them for me.

I think I will start the tracker this month. I have been pushing it off, but I need to know what I am actually eating.

Thanks everyone for such great posts!

@@vixen1978 - I am right there with you on the waiting...

I'm just past the halfway point of my 6-month wait. In the beginning, I was like a woman possessed. All of my free time was spent watching youtube videos, reading blogs, reading forums, etc. Then the frantic need for research lessened quite a bit. Now I obsess over the clothes I will be wearing when I'm thin! I follow a blog called "The Vivienne Files"; here is one of my favorite wardrobe color schemes: http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2012/03/packing-for-claudia-and-russian.html

and this one: http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2014/10/the-french-5-piece-wardrobe-common.html

I go in for my 4 /th weigh in next week. I have been using this 6 months to eat better, stop drinking soda and start exercising. I want my body to be in healthiest condition it can be for surgery and recovery. I'm already learning and working on new habits that are really going to help me after surgery. This 6 month supervisied diet has been a great experience for me. I've made positive changes and learned a lot about the surgery and am more prepared.

I'm just past the halfway point of my 6-month wait. In the beginning, I was like a woman possessed. All of my free time was spent watching youtube videos, reading blogs, reading forums, etc. Then the frantic need for research lessened quite a bit. Now I obsess over the clothes I will be wearing when I'm thin! I follow a blog called "The Vivienne Files"; here is one of my favorite wardrobe color schemes: http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2012/03/packing-for-claudia-and-russian.html

and this one: http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2014/10/the-french-5-piece-wardrobe-common.html

Yes! I feel like a woman possessed. Lol. Good to know the obsession might pass, and I will eventually research myself out. I too am so excited about the clothes I will be able to wear. Thanks for sharing the website! Something else to focus on.

Edited by vixen1978

I bought a fit bit. The cheap one that just clips to my bra. Every day I try to beat the day before. That's it. No huge # to meet. Just do better than the day before. Also I am quitting sodas now so its not a big deal later, and trying to cut back on the bread too. My focus is going to be on preparing mentally for this challenge, because I think that is going to be the hardest part. They are giving us the tool, now we will have to mentally carry out this process. Follow directions, and remember that we paid to have this done to us. And we wanted it, and by golly, we are going to make goal!

That's what I am doing. I am also blogging and driving my husband nuts. That part seems fun!

I too have a fitbit. I will give that a try.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to me. You all have such great advice and encouragement. Right now I am in the stage of telling and prepping all of my loved ones. Now that is done I will start implementing some of the healthy changes you suggested. I am so excited because on Friday I found out that one of my closest friends at work is getting the surgery also. We are in this six month period together!