Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting sleeved with PCOS

Hi!

I'm getting sleeved on the 28th.

I have PCOS and it's been impossible to lose weight. I'm so scared of not losing weight and after all these years dieting and exercising (started working out at 15 years old, I'm 26) I decided to have this surgery.

Could you tell me more about your (sleeve and PCOS) weight loss experience ?

I have PCOS as well and have tried to lose weigh for 30 years. My surgery is on Monday, so we'll see how it goes. My doctor said the weight loss will have a very positive effect on the insulin resistance.

I'm in the same boat I have PCOS and thyroid issues. My surgery is scheduled for 3/3/15

I have PCOS too. I was sleeved on 10/13/14, around 4 months ago. I have lost 68.4 pounds as of this morning. IN FOUR MONTHS!!!! I hit 50% of my EW before I was three months out.

I'm 26 years old. I had been on a diet and exercised regularly my whole adult life and most of my childhood. For instance, I was on the swim team in high school and on weight watchers and still weighed close to 190 pounds. Having the sleeve has been nothing like the diets I have been on and I have been way more successful.

I have PCOS too. I was sleeved on 10/13/14, around 4 months ago. I have lost 68.4 pounds as of this morning. IN FOUR MONTHS!!!! I hit 50% of my EW before I was three months out.

I'm 26 years old. I had been on a diet and exercised regularly my whole adult life and most of my childhood. For instance, I was on the swim team in high school and on weight watchers and still weighed close to 190 pounds. Having the sleeve has been nothing like the diets I have been on and I have been way more successful.

Omg! I can totally relate to you.

I'm so glad you are doing so well. I will try to be positive and focus on experiences like yours.

You still have to put forth the effort and stick to your surgeon's guidelines. It's much easier to do though when you're not hangry all the time! Seeing the scale drop every single day is also very motivating. Just do what your surgeon/dietican says, and you will be successful!

I personally chose the sleeve for three reasons:

1) I can still take NSAIDs.

2) There are studies indicating less Vitamin deficiencies with the sleeve.

3) My mom had a sleeve, and has been highly successful. She lost 140 pounds, which was a little over 90% of her excess weight.

My surgeon left the decision up to me. I didn't have reflux and my BMI was 44 (or something close; can't remember). I would have been a good candidate for either surgery.

I have PCOS and have been overweight and on a diet my entire life. I'm now at my lowest adult weight ever after only 3 months post op. This is the best decision I've ever made. I ovulate quite a bit now and I must admit, I don't miss the cramps returning...but I'll take it because it means I'm getting healthier.

You still have to put forth the effort and stick to your surgeon's guidelines. It's much easier to do though when you're not hangry all the time! Seeing the scale drop every single day is also very motivating. Just do what your surgeon/dietican says, and you will be successful!

I personally chose the sleeve for three reasons:

1) I can still take NSAIDs.

2) There are studies indicating less Vitamin deficiencies with the sleeve.

3) My mom had a sleeve, and has been highly successful. She lost 140 pounds, which was a little over 90% of her excess weight.

My surgeon left the decision up to me. I didn't have reflux and my BMI was 44 (or something close; can't remember). I would have been a good candidate for either surgery.

I'm sort of confused. I've been reading from a lot of people that they are still able to take NSAIDs after the Sleeve. My Dr/DieTiCiaN told me to avoid those meds. I've been waiting for this wls for almost 1 1/2 Year now. Just waiting on my cpap. Should get my hands on it by the end of next week and I'll get my date the same day. ???? I hope my pcos doesn't give me any issues.

I had my surgery on February 16. At my follow-up appt on February 20 I had already lost 8 pounds. On my own, with the PCOS even that has been difficult!

@stephh We had surgery on the same day! I am one pound away from 50 lbs lost and I couldn't be more happy! I never ever thought I would be saying that size 14 slacks are loose! I am having trouble with belly fat, losing quickly in my arms, thighs and butt. My cycle is all crazy too. After all those years of going months without a period, I am on my 6th period in 4 months! That part bites. I only wish I had done this sooner.

I'm reading through threads to educate myself as much as possible before my sleeve in May. For those with experience, my PCOS caused my period to be really heavy, then light, then heavy, go months without one and then have one for 5 weeks. After surgery and weight loss, will periods become lighter?

I'm reading through threads to educate myself as much as possible before my sleeve in May. For those with experience, my PCOS caused my period to be really heavy, then light, then heavy, go months without one and then have one for 5 weeks. After surgery and weight loss, will periods become lighter?

Mine used to fluctuate but now they are light for the first two days, heavy for 2 and the light/spotting for the last day.

As an older woman with PCOS, my issues have probably been different from younger folks, but here's my story: 50 years of PCOS, undiagnosed, until I found myself at an endocrinologist for pre-diabetes. Yes, you still have PCOS even after the ovaries are gone!. Lost 30 pounds very slowly with metformin and Victoza and intensive nutritional counseling, but finally made the decision to go for gastric sleeve, in face of increasing health issues.

At 2 months post surgery and down 20 more pounds, I was able to discontinue 6 RXs, including all the blood pressure and diabetes meds. Also discontinued spironolactone because my BP dropped so low I was dizzy.

I've had a few hormonal issues after surgery that you might watch for, annoying, but not disabling. Rapid weight loss releases the estrogen bound to the fat tissue - I got menopausal symptoms of hot flashes and mood swings. These have diminished over time. Without spironolactone, I've had increased facial hair growth and thinning of my scalp hair- very upsetting, of course.

Since then, I'm finding my BIG hunger, down a lot after surgery (but not gone), and slowly diminishing even more as my blood sugar is normal and I'm more active. I'm continuing to lose about a pound a week, but finding I have to work pretty hard to keep losing. All in all, I'm very pleased. And size 14 is not too shabby, for now.

As an older woman with PCOS, my issues have probably been different from younger folks, but here's my story: 50 years of PCOS, undiagnosed, until I found myself at an endocrinologist for pre-diabetes. Yes, you still have PCOS even after the ovaries are gone!. Lost 30 pounds very slowly with metformin and Victoza and intensive nutritional counseling, but finally made the decision to go for gastric sleeve, in face of increasing health issues.

At 2 months post surgery and down 20 more pounds, I was able to discontinue 6 RXs, including all the blood pressure and diabetes meds. Also discontinued spironolactone because my BP dropped so low I was dizzy.

I've had a few hormonal issues after surgery that you might watch for, annoying, but not disabling. Rapid weight loss releases the estrogen bound to the fat tissue - I got menopausal symptoms of hot flashes and mood swings. These have diminished over time. Without spironolactone, I've had increased facial hair growth and thinning of my scalp hair- very upsetting, of course.

Since then, I'm finding my BIG hunger, down a lot after surgery (but not gone), and slowly diminishing even more as my blood sugar is normal and I'm more active. I'm continuing to lose about a pound a week, but finding I have to work pretty hard to keep losing. All in all, I'm very pleased. And size 14 is not too shabby, for now.

I discontinued my Spiro too and the facial hair...geez. The struggle is real! My weight loss is slow and steady. I lose anywhere from 0-3 lbs a week but I'm patient. I'm a size 14 too!! I love it. I have another 30 lbs to lose. I'm hoping to end up around a size 10.