Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone

I have to have my lapband removed I had it put in 2005 I was told that it is corroded now I have to have it removed. It takes 3 months to get that booked, and if I want to have revision surgery I have to wait 18 months, I do not want to wait that and gain back the weight. This has had be so upset I am thinking of going to Mexico. IN Mecico they can remove and do the gastric all at once.

Has anyone had this done if so how are you and also is this a good idea to have both done at the same time.

I would love to hear anyone story.

Thank you

Hi! I had my band removed and bypass done at the same time on May 21, 2014. My band had also eroded. I did awesome! It was the easiest surgery I ever had! I was up and walking within a couple hours of surgery and was off of pain meds by the following day. I had my surgery done in Connecticut. There are physicians who will do it at one time. There is no reason they can't except they want more money with two surgeries. My insurance was going to require two surgeries and I would have to gain 75 pounds to be eligible there was no way I could do that. Mentally it would do me in. So we paid out of pocket. Total was $28,500. Worth every penny! I am 3 pounds from a normal BMI and it's so much easier than the band. Wish I had bypass first!!!!

Thank you so much Allielee I paid 20,000.00 in 2005 now they have to remove which our health care pays for but then for our health care to pay for the revision I have to wait 18 months and I am about to do that, I do not want to under go two surgeries which is why I am thinking of going to Mexico all for maybe 8,000.00. I am looking for reviews of people who went to Mexico I am in good health all way around so I feel I can make this trip. Thank you for your story. Pat

Hi! I had my band removed and bypass done at the same time on May 21, 2014. My band had also eroded. I did awesome! It was the easiest surgery I ever had! I was up and walking within a couple hours of surgery and was off of pain meds by the following day. I had my surgery done in Connecticut. There are physicians who will do it at one time. There is no reason they can't except they want more money with two surgeries. My insurance was going to require two surgeries and I would have to gain 75 pounds to be eligible there was no way I could do that. Mentally it would do me in. So we paid out of pocket. Total was $28,500. Worth every penny! I am 3 pounds from a normal BMI and it's so much easier than the band. Wish I had bypass first!!!!

Thank you so much Allielee I paid 20,000.00 in 2005 now they have to remove which our health care pays for but then for our health care to pay for the revision I have to wait 18 months and I am about to do that, I do not want to under go two surgeries which is why I am thinking of going to mexico all for maybe 8,000.00. I am looking for reviews of people who went to Mexico I am in good health all way around so I feel I can make this trip. Thank you for your story. Pat

I also paid for my lapband $18,000 ???? good luck! I hope it works out for you.

I have no experience with this, but a gal that goes to my DR. had a slip recently and decided to have the sleeve, they did hers all at once. She is fine.

Hello to all of you. Am new here, but would like to share. Had lap band in '05, not a great success. Plus my port came lose and has been trying to razor it's way out for years. They told me to hand manipulate it back into the scar tissue and not lift anything over 8 pounds for awhile. They didn't tell me that it would just continue to happen and that this was the beginning of the end to many enjoyable life experiences. Have finally found a doctor that will remove it and immediately sleeve me without making me gain all the weight back, which I also find impossible to even think of. Both of my sisters had problems with the lap band, and a friends sister died when one ruptured and she somehow bled out. So, am anxious to get this out and hoping for great results with the sleeve.

I just had mine removed on Mon due to many complications. It was originally placed in 2007.

I was able to get it removed within 1 month of my decision to do so. Insurance tried to fight it was not medically necessary but I had plenty of documentation to show it was!!!

My surgeon will not revise to another procedure for at least 3 months, longer if there was a lot of internal damage and/or erosion.

If I do consider a revision, I think I'd do the sleeve. What about you?

I'm just so happy to get that poison out of me that I'm just focusing on feeling normal again.

Revisions cannot always be done at the same time. It depends how badly the bands damaged your stomach