Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Had Or Considered A Sleeve To Duodenal Switch Revision Surgery

Okay so I am 9 months out. I have lost 83 total with only 66 being since I had surgery. I am discouraged and depressed. I know that some of my slowed success or failed success has been from not eating at all in the beginning due to nausea. Then not getting my Protein in and falling back to old habits like eating carbs. However during the last couple of months I have tired so hard to eat right, get my protein in, exercise, and drink Water but to no avail. It is still coming off slow or non existent at this point. I had a complete hysterectomy in August at the age of 28 so I don't know if that slowed me down or what. I have been seriously considering having the sleeve converted to duodenal switch which I wanted bypass all along but was talked out of it by family and friends. I just wanna know what everyone thinks. I wanna know if I have hit my bottom and I'm probably not gonna lose any more or what. Also if anyone has had it could you tell me the cost of the revision? Thanks

66 pounds lost after wls is awesome! That's 66 pounds you didn't gain, with more to come.

If you find it difficult to conform to the eating habits of the sleeve, do you think you can conform to the requirements if the ds? I'm talking about committing to life long vites, getting labs, and eating high Protein. Although you'll malabsorb protein and fat, you WILL absorb simple and complex carbs.

Give your all to the tool you currently have. Use it and if after 18 months you are still dissatisfied, consider part 2. I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by sjules

You are averaging around 7lb loss per month. My Dr's goal is 5-6 lb loss per month with the sleeve in the first year. So technically you are losing above that. It's discouraging to lose slow (I lose slowly too) but maybe give it some time and those few pounds do add up over time.

I agree with @@sjules, if you get to 18 months and still struggling, then definitely look into it.

I agree. You have to use the tool you picked correctly before you can be upset about it not working. And you have to consider that if you are not using the sleeve correctly to help you with your weight loss then what is to say you will use the DS or GB anymore effectively. We all know that you can "eat around" any of these tools. So the bottom line is you have to use it. Sounds like you have had some major set backs as well. Its hard to exercise if you are recovering from surgery. Give yourself the credit you deserve for your current level of success. You deserve it. Plus start using your tool correctly again and see if your weight loss doesn't start again before you make any desperate drastic decisions to undergo another procedure. You might surprise yourself what a little re-dedication can do for your progress and spirits! Good luck!

great advice on this one! way to go all.

I was sleeved 7 months ago and have also been disappointed with my progress lately. I am down 56 pounds, which feels terrific, but stalls/plateaus are happening more often and lasting longer. I don't feel nearly as much restriction as before but I also don't push it- my problem is grazing more than portion size or poor food choices. I did "catch" myself letting a few pieces of candy creep back into my daily routine, which wasn't helping, so I declared February a "candy-free" month. So far I've stuck to it and I am very proud of myself. I think the advice other people have shared to try sticking closely to the rules for a few months to see if that can jump start your next stage of progress makes a lot of sense. I know first-hand that it's not easy at all to stay on track when you're not getting the results you want but there really isn't another choice- break the rules and you definitely won't get the results you want, right? Hang in there! We are all here for encouragement when you need it!

Snacking and grazing is the downfall of WLS. Plan your meals and Snacks ahead of time and limit yourself to those times. Might try a "pouch test" which for Sleevers is really just a back to basics to get that restriction back in their tummy.