Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfilled/possible revision?

Due to being too tight and acid reflex at night i went for an unfill....he ended up unfilling me all the way because the scan showed a "possible" slip. He wasnt sure what was going on with my band. It was definitely aggravated and swollen due to the vomiting. Doctor (mind you this isnt the doctor that did my surgery) right away is talking about a revision surgery. Don't they say that the band can fix itself if unfilled and giving some time. He wants me to go get a ct scan to see the band and then do a revision right away. Within a week time. Im not giving my band enough time to heal itself. Has this happened to anyone? band fix itself? Shouldn't we give my band atleast 2-4 weeks to calm down and then do a scan to see how it is doing instead of jumping into a ct scan and surgery? Shouldn't an x-ray show how the band is doing since he already seen it last week? I'm so upset he's running too fast! Because all i think he sees is $$$$$$ and i really dont want to think that way but now im not sure what to think about this guy!

I agree with your instincts. Plenty of people on this board have posted about unfills as the first go-to solution to a slip or other complication. It does seem odd that the doctor is not opting for that, and instead pushing for a revision right away. Is he talking new band, or another WLS?

He's talking about revision on my lapband...heck I'm even scared that he would take it out while im under!

Sorry to hear you're going through this!!! Trust your instincts! Don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you don't agree with or aren't comfortable with. It doesn't seem like he is giving you enough time to even process what is going on. If you truly feel that he see's you as a $ sign then I would seek a second opinion before I would let anyone jump into surgery. Wishing you the best! Please keep us posted on what's going on!

Thank god im not the only one that seems like hes rushing this! Exactly, doesnt seem like he;s giving me enough time to process anything going on! ct scan now, revision surgery tomorrow! like relax can I first get over the swelling and tightness?!?! he said! that 5% of the time the band fixes itself! welllll maybe his patients since he doesn't give them enough time to heal!

I am scheduled for the CT scan this Saturday! that will give me 10 days to heal and hopefully some improvement on my band so he can see it on the CT scan! I still don't think this is enough time tho :(

I would ask him to share the results of the scans with you and get copies of them, call another office and see if you can get a second opinion from another Dr. we are still talking about major surgery so a second opinion is not uncalled for. If there needs to be a revision then you will know without a doubt.

Let us know how your doing and what happens!!

At the very least, I would have an "unexpected" trip out of town for a couple of weeks to give myself time to think it through, and follow my original band instructions to the letter! If you are not in a danger zone, take the time you need to work through all your options. Just me, but I'm not one to make snap decisions. I "listen" to that voice, it's proved to be right way too many times. Good luck!

I ended up switching my appointment for the ct. It will be 18 days since unfill, I hope my band will look a lot better then and show improvement! Still prob not enough time but i def feel better :)

Try to not fight with your band is the best advice I can offer right now. I actually spent a week recently drinking Water and gator aid with absolutely no hunger at all. I was prescribed a rather large bP med that stuck and irritated the stoma. Unfortunately, I was out of town on a family emergency, and could not get to my doc for that slight unfill. You are tougher than you think, try not to buy into the panic mode on here at times, I'm alive and kicking, no worse for the water liquid regimine, and totally in my comfort green zone once I had a tiny amount of pressure released. Good luck! Keep in touch and let me know how things come along for you. Ttyl....

I know, im trying to be really good! im just scared that the ct scan will not show my band in good shape and the doctor will want to open me up right away! i feel rushed and bothered that he wont let my band fix itself...hes not giving me time here! he seems so obssessed with doing a revision surgery :( He said 5% chance that bands fix themselves...well yah cuz he doesnt give them time to!

Just remember your body, your decision. If you don't trust your doc 100%, then you have to own your decision- not "let" him rush you. Tell him "I want to wait "x" amount of time, then if it's not better I will consider revision options.

I was in the same boat. But I had the revision surgery. When the band slips, it doesn't fix itself. And waiting too long can cause more damage. I suffered from heartburn and acid reflux. The morning after surgery.....all gone. Mind you, I had to start all over from 1cc, which caused weight gain. And it's takes more fills to feel any affects, but I'm on the upswing. My advice, if your being given medical advice, take it. They are the professionals. Slipped bands are so dangerous. Don't take chances.

Ever since I had my complete unfill the acid reflux and throwing up went away! I can eat a whole cow with no problem, no problems getting anything down or chugging Water. Some say a slip can fix itself and some say it can't :( so upsetting :( I'm going Sunday for my cat scan so hopefully the doc can see my band more clear and see what's going on :/

Ever since I had my complete unfill the acid reflux and throwing up went away! I can eat a whole cow with no problem, no problems getting anything down or chugging Water. Some say a slip can fix itself and some say it can't :( so upsetting :( I'm going Sunday for my cat scan so hopefully the doc can see my band more clear and see what's going on :/

Please could you tell me after the unfill how long did it take for acid reflux to go away?

right away kai-shek! that night i slept right through without waking up choking on my reflux! it was instant relief when he unfilled me.