Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nothing but problems! :-(

Ok, I know a rant is not how I should introduce my self but Im just frustrated!

To start I was banded in march of 2008, My highest weight was 465 lbs and I lost down to 382 by the day of surgery.
Things were sorta bad from the start, My doctor didn't want to give me fills because she said I wasn't losing fast enough and would only jump on to me when I went in so I tried to avoid it as much as possible.

Finally at some where between 7 and 7.5 cc in a 14cc band I started losing weight, I was puking with every single meal (pretty much every bite) but I lost weight none the less. Then the GERD kicked in and it was BAD, it sent me to the ER several times thinking I was having a heart attack and I could not have any Fluid removed because my DOC went to a different state and no other surgeons would take me on.

Finally after 2 years of acid reflux from hell she came back to practice in the same hospital where I had my band put in, I made an appointment right way and at 318 lbs she removed all my Fluid to let me heal from the gerd. A couple months went by and my weight shot up to about 350 lbs and she added 1cc in my band and made me an app to come back in 2 weeks, well when I went back they informed me that she had moved back to her home country of romania and I would need to find another doc.

I tried for months before I finally found a doc 2 hours away to see me, by the time I got an appointment I was weighing in at nearly 400 lbs.
after seeing him a few times he had be back to 7cc and chronic diarrhea set in right away! But I lost down to 349 lbs in about 7 months until the gerd again got so bad I couldn't take it any longer and went for complete unfill witch immediately resolved the diarrhea but my weight shot back up to 380 lbs from 349 in about a month.

I went back for another fill and was given 4cc and told to come back in 2 weeks and he would give me 2 more cc's but the very next day after the 4cc fill the diarrhea was back and had continued every since. When I went back for the 2 cc fill I told him about it and he told me that the only thing he can thing of is maybe the band is putting pressure on a nerve and causing it. He told me to see a gastro dr and rule out any thing else, and if it looks like its the band then he wants to remove it and do a sleeve 6 months later.

I am afraid of going through another surgery (this time a permanent one) and having issues preventing me from losing the weight once again!
Im fed up and wish I had never had the band done!

Sorry for the rant, it had build up in me and I felt like I was going to explode!

Thomas

Well Thomas I'm sorry you're having so many problems with the band. If you're really serious about weight loss maybe you should consider having the sleeve done. Best wishes to you.

I am sorry your going through this, my 1st thought was why no Doctor had suggested the sleeve to you. I know you don't want another surgery but I hope you will at least give it some thought.

What an ordeal, sorry you are going through all that. I agree with the others, although another surgery was not on your list, I would consider it. At least he is offering a solution rather than turning you away.

After explaining to your new fill doctor about " the GERD kicked in and it was BAD, it sent me to the ER several times" and "the gerd again got so bad I couldn't take it any longer" ...he suggested you get a sleeve? Thats unique.....usually you hear quite the opposite. I think I'd have to get another opinion.

I hope you find what works for you! To read your story, it sounds like you've had quite an ordeal... Best wishes!

So would bad gerd from the band being to tight be an indicator to having gerd issues with the sleeve? Just so its on the record I had only expieranced acid reflux a couple times in my life before being banded.

I may be misunderstanding you. But it seems you are saying that much of the time your band is so tight that you get GERD. So I assume you are probably having to eat slider foods. That could be a very simple explanation for the diarrhoea.

The band shouid never be so tight it makes eating uncomfortable.

For the longest time yeah.. but for the last year that ive had diarrhea, I been able to eat about anything I want.

Edited by thomas1984

I feel for you! I've had a bunch of issues, too, and have actually had my band replaced once already. The second one has started giving me trouble (I'm pretty sure it's slipped), so I'm at the point where I just want the damned thing out of me. I'm meeting with a surgeon tomorrow to see about getting a revision to either the sleeve or bypass. I'm leaning toward the bypass because between my PCOS and the way I had to eat with the band, my metabolism is completely messed up.

This is my first post. I have had the band for 11 years with much of the same issues of GERD, gastritis, hiatal hernia and vomiting. Finally I am done with it after getting a second opinion from another bariatric surgeon who does not think highly of the band. After completing all the work to get a revision, hopefully to a bypass, Blue Cross Blue Shield has denied me for "insufficient medical or surgical complications". Evidently only infection, erosion or slippage will count. Needless to say I am very disappointed. I am 64 years old, retired and considering Mexico and very disappointed in US insurance. Any advice is welcome.

Edited by lizzie828

Have you thought about looking into an appeal with the Lindstrom obesity lawyer group. Supposedly, they will do appeals for a set price, and it's usually very reasonable. They've got a very good success rate, so it might be a well-spent few hundred dollars.

Hi - I am 3 weeks post op from having my band removed after 10 years. I hear your frustration and feel for you. I have PCOS and have gained 35 lbs back and eat healthy, about 1600 cal a day. It's so frustrating! BUT I am not giving up and am going to have the Sleeve. Don't give up!!!! Research your options and find a solution that's comfortable for you.????

@@banded2004

That is certainly something for me to think about! Thank you for that info, I will research that group.

@@banded2004

That is certainly something for me to think about! Thank you for that info, I will research that group.

I was denied for my revision with another insurance. My doctor scheduled a 'peer to peer' with the insurance and it got approved after they spoke in phone with doctor.