Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you lose less on the sleeve than bypass?

I know we have all discussed the stats but I'm curious what your results are. I'm wondering if I should go with the bypass for the sole reason that I want to be little at the end of this.

I'm 5'4", 235lbs. Is a 100 lb weight loss even plausible for me? My goal weight is 130lbs. I can go smaller, but in my experience, I have a lot of muscle and that is a weight where I'm very happy.

Guys, help me decide. I'm worried that the sleeve Lacks long term data. I don't want it to end up with results like the band. I'm tempted to go with the bypass bc I know it works. But obviously if I get get here, and stay there with the sleeve, it's much safer and with less complications.

I'm 25. I need this surgery to last a lifetime, which mostly relies on me. But I don't want to reach a plateau, have my sleeve slowly slowly stretch back out and put the weight back on.

I'm so lost and so unhappy in this decision. Help!

The bypass will give you malabsorption which means you don't absorb all your calories so it may help you more long term. And it has lots of data that it helps diabetes almost immediately.

I lost 140 lbs with sleeve and will be 2 years in March.

You can lose just as much but there is no magic bullet. You can gain back the weight with ANY WLS. The surgery is not on the brain, but your stomach.

It is up to you to keep using whatever tool you decide on. For me there really is no After or Goal. I prefer to call myself "in maintenance" than "at goal" because the latter implies a finish line. There is no finish for people dealing with a chronic disease. Yes it gets a bit easier as new habits start to gel but like other chronic conditions there will always be monitoring. I am not obese on the BMI charts but I still have the disease of obesity just not the outward symptoms. It is up to me to manage it.

Knowing only your weight and age, in your shoes I'd do the sleeve.

Re the longer history of gastric bypass, think about this: If you understand and can compare the mechanics of the two surgeries and the benefits of ghrelin reduction with the sleeve (which doesn't happen with bypass) and the fact that both surgeries offer some restriction (although the sleeve offers greater restriction) and the malabsorptive differences (bypass patients absorb fewer nutrients than sleeve patients do) and that the sleeve has been done for decades (for stomach cancer patients, who have lived as long as other people), I think you might agree with me that the sleeve would be a good choice for you.

Also, FYI, research shows that both surgeries' patients lose the same amount of weight, but that sleeved patients require a few more months to do so.

I started at 235, am almost 5-1/2 months post-op, and have now lost 70 pounds with 15 more to goal (150 pounds). BTW, I'm 69 years old.

Consider that you're just a pup! You've got a lifetime of nutritional malabsorption (and the expense of special vitamins) to deal with if you opt for the bypass.

Final thought: If for some reason the sleeve doesn't "work" for you, you still have the option of going the bypass route.

My two cents' worth.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Posting this on the pre-op gastric sleeve site will only get you responses from the sleeve side of the house. To get a complete answer to your question you may want to post this also on the gastric bypass side of the house.