Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portion size at 5 weeks after Gastric Plication Surgery

I'm 5 weeks post-op and I'm concerned that I'm being able to eat too much and not having any tummy issues. For example today's menu:

Breakfast 4 oz Protein shake

snack 1/2 cup mixed fruit

lunch 3oz chicken salad with 4 wheat crackers and a small cookie

Snack SF Popsicle

1/2 a small bag of Cheetos ( my daughters leftover... I know, Shame on me)

Dinner: 3-4 oz chicken with 1/2 cup of broccoli rice casserole

( dinner was at 5:30pm) and I know I'll be hungry around 8pm so might have another meal or snack!

See, I'm eating tons!! I hear and read people eating 1/3 of what I just wrote :-(

Is anyone else able to eat this much?!!

It does kind of seem Iike a lot. But I annoy 2 weeks out! I think I would be concerned with WHAT you are eating. I think you should be avoiding crackers Cookies Cheetos and rice. Are you still losing weight?? Are you drinking lots??

I know, I guess I was just curious as to what my stomach could tolerate since a lot of my friends who have gotten surgery say they can't even eat a cup of food! Granted they had the actual sleeve as opposed to the plication. I set up an appointment with a surgeon here in my home town ( I got the location in Monterrey Mexico) to see what my pouch actually looked like but the soonest he could get me in for the procedure is in a month!! So until then I'll be going back to the original diet( fat free, sugar free, low carb). Still I'm disappointed that Im still having to be in a diet! Don't laugh, but I thought getting this surgery would not allow me to eat the amount of food I ate before. If I knew I could still tolerate all foods and still have to calorie count I wouldn't have even bothered!! I could have done this diet without spending all unnecessary money :-(

Sorry didn't answer your questions. I've lost 25 pounds since surgery but since I transitionsed to soft foods I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks!

I can tell you are frustrated and I don't blame you. Until you can talk to your doctor I would just be careful how you eat. I don't think it is unusual to hit stalls. The surgery is only a tool so you still need to watch what you eat. If you are getting in 60-80 grams of Protein and all your fluids prior to eating other stuff that would be helpful.

Do you ever feel full? Or feel like you have eaten too much??

Like I said I am only two and a bit weeks out. Today I ate about 1/4 cup of watery oatmeal for Breakfast then had about 6 smoked oysters. Then a bunch of fluids.

Hopefully someone with more experience will give you some advice:-)

At around 3 weeks I ate a bit too much and felt pain in my stomach. After that I never tried to push it until this week. Now I don't feel full but stop eating because I get scared that I may over do it again and because I know I shouldn't be eating that much anyway. So I try to stick to no more than a cup at every meal though I feel that I can probably eat more than that. That's the frustrating part. I want to feel restricted and the fact that I don't makes me feel like I just wasted money

Protein FIRST. You seem to be eating food high in carbs and some that could be considered slider foods. Those make you hungry. Fill up on protein, and it will curb your hunger better. Stay away from cheetos, Cookies and the like. Just because you can eat it, doesn't mean you should :P

A cup seems like a lot. I can barely eat 4 oz, I'll be 5 weeks out on Monday. Definitely fill up on Protein first, then veggies. My NUT suggested I eat 40 g of carbs: 80 grams of protein. I'm trying to stick to that, but it's hard to get all those carbs in so far. I'm still in soft foods. It's funny how different Dr. have such different diets. She also told me that if at any point I feel like I'm eating too much, to go back to just liquids for 3-5 days, to kind of restart/reset my pouch. Maybe that could help you out...

Edited by Big_Mama

Oh wow... So this is my very first post. I've been avidly researching the gastric plication procedure for weeks, and I've finally decided that if I pursue WLS, this is my route. I enter this forum, and the very first thread at the top zeroes in on my number one fear!!! :) Erica has given words to what I am probably most nervous about. Yes. WLS is a tool to help us get where we need to be. What if it turns out to be a regular screwdriver when I need a power drill? :)

What if I go to all the time, expense, and sacrifice to have this done-- only to find that the restriction isn't really enough to have profound impact? I've read the studies. I've looked at journal articles. I know everyone runs their own race and everyone's results will vary. I understand that I will get out of this what I put into it. But, oh my goodness...that fear!! I just don't want it to be in vain. It's kind of nerve wracking at this point. I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way prior to surgery. :) :)

Erica, I truly hope this is a minor blip on your road to victory...and I hope your body resolves and resets asap. I'll be very interested to find out what you hear from your physician and how things go for you in the near future! Best of luck, and thanks for sharing and being transparent about this struggle. It brings a healthy perspective back to center for me, I think. I want to approach this very realistically and be mentally prepared for anything. Sorry to jump in here, but I'm honestly glad to see this. It makes me realize that everyone has different struggles, and I have to be ready for what comes my way at any point in this journey. Take care, and thanks again...

I'm 5 weeks post-op and I'm concerned that I'm being able to eat too much and not having any tummy issues. For example today's menu:

Breakfast 4 oz Protein shake

snack 1/2 cup mixed fruit

lunch 3oz chicken salad with 4 wheat crackers and a small cookie

Snack SF Popsicle

1/2 a small bag of Cheetos ( my daughters leftover... I know, Shame on me)

Dinner: 3-4 oz chicken with 1/2 cup of broccoli rice casserole

( dinner was at 5:30pm) and I know I'll be hungry around 8pm so might have another meal or snack!

See, I'm eating tons!! I hear and read people eating 1/3 of what I just wrote :-(

Is anyone else able to eat this much?!!

Soooooo....

At five weeks, your stomach is still numb and swollen. You may not feel your full sensation completely yet. You don't appear to be eating much Protein, which I am betting will fill you up faster.

Mixed fruit, crackers, Cookies, cheetos, rice... Is this what your doctor has on his/her recommended diet plan?

Thanks big mama, I think I'll take your advice and go back to liquids for a few days. See if that helps! Carbs have always been my challenge. I stress eat and as you can see, I let it get the best of me. My appt for an upper GI isn't until March 5th but I'm hoping that the doctor here sees that the mexico dr did a good job and it's simply me allowing myself to eat too much. It's silly but I wish I had the problem others do when they over eat ( stomach pain or uncomfortable feeling). That may get me to stop stretching my limit and help continue my weight loss.

Also" are you tracking your calories/nutrition? I'm 6 weeks out and eat no more than 4 ounces for lunch and dinner. While you may feel that eating a little here and a little there isn't much, it really begins to add up calorie wise.

No, not really. My question to you is do you only eat 4oz because that's all you physically can eat or because you measure and don't see if you can eat more?

4 oz tops, is all I can fit, but I had the sleeve done.

Edited by Big_Mama

I ate slower today and more Protein, felt satisfied it's the 4oz ????. Going to try to stay away from the junk and eat by the diet menu ????. Thanks ladies !!