Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my first one on one consult at the bariatric clinic. Went over the process with the doctor and started scheduling all my appointments. I keep going back and forth in my head on whether this is what I want.

Anyone who has had their WLS already and gone through what I am going through or am I clearly not ready? Just have a lot of worries about life after surgery. But I've already stated making positive changes toward weight loss.

TIA

Whether you are ready or not, we can't make that call. But I can tell you, you are not alone in your thoughts. Your question comes up almost weekly on the forum. We all had our fears and doubts about having WLS. I can only reassure you, that 2 years out, I am still happy with my decision. And I work with 3 others that had Gastric Bypass, and they are happy with their results.

Here's how I made the decision to have VSG:

I asked myself 2 questions.

1) Do I want to be where I am right now, a year from now?

2) Without surgery, do I see my life getting worse or better?

Hope these videos help.

I think I'm doing the same.....everything happened faster then i thought....I have 3 months to go and I'm not sure if this worrying is normal....have you gone to your seminar or support groups yet?

Worrying is normal. I couldn't imagine what my life would be like without the comfort of food. Well, my life is a thousand percent better. Without the constant hunger, I can control my food choices and amounts. I eat out, I eat all my favorite foods still. But I don't eat to excess and I am healthier and happier than I've been in such a long time.

I'm living my life again instead of watching from the sidelines. I can't say enough how wonderful it is to fit in the world again.

I'm not trying to sway you in any way. I went to a seminar and wasn't ready for surgery. I tried to diet for a year and only lost 25 lbs. The second time I went to the seminar, I knew I had no choice anymore and went ahead with the surgery. I wish I had known then what I know now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

This isn't something you do lightly. Being scared is smart. Research this like it is a thing you need to do a report on. I did that and made pro and con lists. Ultimately for me I had comorbidities and my future at age 53 was not looking bright. I knew it was right. I had research to prove how it would help, how safe it is, etc. My husband was 100% for it but my daughter was not. I educated her on it and laid it out how sick I was and how at risk I was etc. and she came around. I am glad I did it. You must have a discernment time though to figure it out and then once you make your decision you will be set-either way in the process that is right for you. Good luck!

Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to reply. It's always nice to feel like you're not alone.

Most of the time when I objectively think about my worries they seem really silly. In the grand scheme of things is being able to eat this or that really important?

All I know is that after working in a hospital and seeing what obesity does...I have to change this!

I am only 34 and spent most of my life as a thick woman, the past 8 yrs as obese. Even being overweight I was athletic but now my weight has risen to interfere with that. I can no longer run or do any sports. As a mother of 3 daughters I feel like I am not being a good role model. So, those are the things that keep me positive about WLS.

Thanks again.

-Tiffany

Being iffy about it is normal! I know I def. was! I obsessed about every aspect of the surgery for 2 months, I couldn't sleep, and when I did, I would dream about the surgery, when I was up I was researching pros/cons. I even almost backed out when I saw I lost 9 lbs during 3 days of liquids before surgery, then I thought to myself, 'I've been here before, I'll end up gaining it back...it's only a matter of time, it's happened way too often.' The first two weeks I thought it was the biggest mistake of my life, because I was miserable on the liquid diet!!! But once I started eating again, I was as happy as can be. I'm only 5 weeks out, and I thought I'd miss food so much that I'd cry! And I did!!! I cried out of happiness, knowing I was no longer a slave to food!!! I was the happiest woman in the world the day I sat down with a 4 oz plate of food and couldn't finish it all!!!! I was ecstatic when my pants started falling off me!!! Stepping on the scale and seeing the numbers going down, instead of climbing, for a change is an indescribable feeling. I know I'm only 5 weeks out, but it's one of the best decisions I ever made.

Think about it ad think hard. Read every thing you can. Call the doctor and ask questions no matter how silly they may seem to you. Butterflies in the stomach and minor jitters are normal and fine. By the time I attended the seminar I was a good 80% certain this was what I wanted. After the seminar I was 100% sure that I was going to do this and that I had chosen the right surgeon/hospital/program for me.

First, as a disclaimer, this post is under "General WLS Discussion"....and my surgery was the Lap band.

So different people with different surgeries will have different experiences, and different stories to tell....

No one wants to have to resort to surgery in order to loose weight...at least I didn't.

But I tried and tried over years of dieting...and failing all the time...Up-down, up-down...gain weight, loose weight, gain it all back again....

Plus it was really staring to effect my health, in a very serious way....

So yes, for me it was a last resort...perhaps a desperate resort....as hesitant with 2nd thoughts as I was, what was the alternative? I wanted to be skinny and fit! I wanted to be healthy...I wanted to dance at my daughters wedding....

Know what? I got all that...AND MORE....I am absolutely ecstatic with my decision, and THE RESULTS!

It CHANGED my life in ways I can't put into words at this moment.

So what if it is the easy way out...EASY IS GOOD...what's wrong with that? Some people think that's a bad thing....I DON'T....and look at what I got in return!

Where would I be today without this surgery? Probably 6' under, or ashes in an urn...not kidding!

Weight loss surgery is not for everyone...it is not about the surgery, but it is about LOOSING WEIGHT!

However you do that, it's all good.

I needed my stomach tied off, restricted...after 4 years I'm still good with it!

Like I said, I have been down all those other roads, and diets do not work for me. Perhaps for the first few months, then it all come back......surgery is permanent!

Edited by B-52

I wish I had done this 10 years ago when my doctor first suggested it.

I'm glad I postponed my surgery, but only because it was originally scheduled for the week before Christmas. The first week after surgery, I had more than one very emotional moment, so I'm glad I didn't go through that in front of all my aunts and uncles and cousins.

The videos and advice has helped a lot. I have been trying to decide which surgery to have bypass or sleeve. I have done my research but nothing has told me how the patients feel about their surgery. I have already started the process, but this is the most important decision I have yet to make. I am 5'4" and my highest weight was 241 lbs, this was in January 2015. I have been on the pre-op diet since February 2 and now weigh 220 lbs. I lose weight till I hit a plateau and then I gain it all back and more. This is why I have decided to have surgery. I need to change my life or I will lose it. ; (