Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was okay until..(long post, sorry)

I was okay until I fell about a week and a half ago. We had to walk my daughter into school to talk to the teacher. Dusty, slippery floor, and a four year old sort of under foot. Next thing I know my feet slid out from under me. Got my little one out of the way but ended up spread eagle on the floor. I actually debated if I had cracked my ribs. (I did that in a fall before) I have fibromyalgia so I knew it would hurt. A week later I still hurt. Saw my primary doctor on Wednesday. She felt around. Asked when I see the surgeon again because I am about two months out. I said another month. She said call his office she would like him to check. Now I am nervous. I had pain before and the surgeon said it was from the hernia repair. Unfortunately my daughter is having some major health issues. I had to take her three hours away to the children's hospital Thursday. Got back earlier than expected and tried to call the surgeon but never got a call back. Of course my surgeon doesn't see patients on Fridays. Now I am stuck until Monday when it's supposed to snow. In the meantime I am still in pain and it's worse when I eat. Ended up vomiting once today which didn't help. Sorry this is long I'm just a wee bit terrified. The only good news is that after I fell I was able to get up by myself. I'm still a big girl just over three hundred pounds. So has anyone else fallen a couple months out? Were you okay? Thanks

I hope all is well with you. Please go to the emergency room or urgent care if you don't see improvement very soon.

Thanks. My spouse says if I puke again I'm going to the ER. Hard part is I have to go alone. We have two special needs kids and no babysitter. My Mom was helping but was diagnosed with cancer and heart failure at the end of May. I am a total baby about needles, hospitals, and being alone. I called the surgeon right after it happened. They told me not to worry unless I got pockets of visible Fluid or swelling. I'm not sure how they expect me know if I have swelling. I'm fat. I do have bruises that are still showing up from under the fat. Not pretty.

Where do you live? Here in CT we are also expecting snow on Monday. Please don't take any chances with yourself. Sounds like you have a family that really needs you - so perhaps the ER is the place to go today. What about a primary care doctor? Do you have a relationship with one from before your surgery? My PCP has been way more helpful. As a matter of fact, my fancy Yale bariatric surgeon has never seen me since my surgery, just his staff. I use my PCP for all serious questions.

Ellen

I was told that the sutured stomach heals in 6weeks. My thought is that it is very UNLIKELY that your fall caused a problem with sleeve especially since you are two months post op. Were you having trouble before the fall? Is the vomiting associated with anything? I recall 2 months out I was still trying to figure out the transition to solid food... and how darn little of it I should eat art, chewing carefully,eating slow. Only times I have vomited I was eating too fast.

I hope you are feeling better. Stay hydrated and take care of yourself.

I'm support "GO TO THE ER IF YOU FEEL THAT SICK". It's not worth waiting until Monday if your have an internal problem now. But I also agree with CowgirlJane. Two months post-op would be a long time for your sutures to open, but I guess if you fell and hit something just right, it could happen. Best to have the medical experts decide.

Thank you all. I had some issues about three weeks out. My spouse had surgery and I let myself get dehydrated while sitting at the hospital. A couple days later I had two ER trips. One for dehydration then back for a vestibular Migraine with bilateral rotary nystygmus. In other words a migraine with vertigo and jumpy eyes. Not fun. Lasted about a week or so. My surgeon has been terrific. His staff okay. I'm probably fine but it concerned me when my PCP said to call after examining me. Right now I'm doing ok with liquid. Trying to eat slow and make sure to chew. I feel more pain if I twist or stretch a lot. That's why I think it's the stitches from the hernia. The stupid part is I don't hurt as much where the bruises are coming up. Taking it easy. Thank you for letting me vent. It's hard to whine at my better half because we both are experiencing this recovery. In a way it's good to have someone that knows. In a way it's bad because you don't get much sympathy.