Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Ladies,

I know we all have been experiencing hair loss, but has anyone gotten hair extensions? Hair loss has slowed down but still losing a bit :(

I'm looking into the tape extensions. http://www.ramijabali.com/hair-extensions-magic

Here's another link: http://www.stellaluca.com/hair-extensions-frequently-asked-questions

Anyone have any experience? I'm not looking into the glue ones because read about it and when you get them off, your hair is pulled out with it as well. My hair has always been thin and now even thinner and I fill it in with Toppik but it's still not enough.

Any feedback/advice/suggestions would be aprreciated :)

I'm with you. Thin hair before surgery and thinning more with weight loss. I have clip in extensions. I wear them on special occasions. Mine only make my hair long. They do nothing for my thinning hair.

I hope to get my hair in shape for valentines day. I looked up on the internet about growing you're hair long. I'm doing a challenge on not using heat/ styling appliances on my hair. I use a Moroccan argan oil deep conditioning treatment over night two days a week. After washing my hair I use heat protector. No styling for now. The shedding has slowed a bit. I don't think there is much we can do about the Hair loss. I hope it will stop soon.

@@allyray

I hear it's about 6 months after it starts

Love extensions but they weigh on your hair/put stress tension on it. I used to wear them all the time. The tape in kind I've not tried because of the expense but if your hair can take it, extensions can be beautiful.

Any extensions using adhesive are going to be especially bad for already thinning hair. I strongly recommend micro-beaded, as the thin stands of hair hardly put any extra tension on the hair, and are less likely to show through thinning hair.

If the cost is too high, the clips ins are a great alternative, and you can take them in to a salon to have them cut or even colored to blend in with your hair perfectly!

I think even clip ins are too much stress. Micro beading or sew-in are going to be the least stressful on your hair.

If you can find someone that will let you bring your own hair, you can find the hair cheap on AliExpress. Providing your own hair, which they markup at insane rates at the salon, will really save you a lot of money.

I have clip-ins I bought from Bellami hair. For some unknown reason my hair started falling out in mini piles BEFORE surgery...and just kept on after. Luckily I have giant thick hair...or had...that grows quickly...otherwise I am sure I would be bald, lol. I like the clip ins because they come with several pieces all different widths, so you can pick and choose if you want a super full look or just a few pieces to help fill you out. I love them....I have only ever bought the one set. After hours of research on YouTube etc those are the ones I chose...but there are tons of great ones. I would search "Hair Extensions" on youtube...you will get endless info there =)

Be careful with hair extensions my mother used them after he surgery and she got temporary alopecia because her hair was so thin it couldn't hold the extensions.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I got extensions about 8 months after my sleeve and would definitely recommend them. I have very long, thick hair and it was coming out in handfuls. A friend suggested I try extensions to help me ride out the Hair loss phase. I got Great Lengths keratin bond extensions. I absolutely loved them and have continued to get them even though much of my hair grew back. Yes, extensions can damage your hair, you first have to find someone expert at putting them in and you have to commit to extra hair care to keep them in shape and keep your own hair from being compromised. A good extension stylist knows how to install them on even fine hair without over-stressing your hair. I've never tried the tape extensions. They are definitely likely to cause the least damage and they are probably the most economical because you can re-use the hair (can't really do that with the bonded type), but, my concern with them is that I think they are going to feel very fake both to you and anyone who touches your hair. I've heard that there are newer types with thinner pieces of tape, but it's still tape! I don't recommend the beads or rings, you can't get your hair colored without removing them and you can definitely feel them on your head much more than the keratin bond type. As far as removal of the bonded type, you need to have the stylist remove them with the remover and pliers (yes, pliers!). I've never lost any hair during this process. If you accidentally pull one out, you could take some of your hair with it, but they generally don't come out until you take them out. You do have to brush the extensions pretty religiously to keep them from getting tangled. I wouldn't be scared off extensions because of possible hair damage, but there is definitely damage to your pocketbook to be afraid of!

You might consider a hair topper. I had significant Hair loss even before the surgery and have been wearing one for years. No one, not even my sister, has any idea it's not my own hair, and it's much less care than extensions, not to mention easier on fragile post-surgery hair.

You might consider a hair topper. I had significant Hair loss even before the surgery and have been wearing one for years. No one, not even my sister, has any idea it's not my own hair, and it's much less care than extensions, not to mention easier on fragile post-surgery hair.

What's a hair topper? Do you have a link to one?

What's a hair topper? Do you have a link to one?

Hi debd80 - a hair topper is like a mini-wig that clips into your natural hair. You can find them on the web (search hair topper) and at stylists who specialize in hair loss issues. I would recommend going to a good stylist, at least for your first one. They can help you with color & style choices, natural vs synthetic, and customize the cut to blend in with your own hair.