Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your full signal?

I think mine is light chest pain with hiccups about a minute later. I know I'm full then. About 2 minutes later my stomach feels full. What's yours?

I've been trying to get to that "full" point less and less by planning better with my Portion Control, but when I do get it, it's an uncomfortable (not painful, just very uncomfortable) feeling in my lower chest. If I get overfull, it becomes more uncomfortable and persists for a good 45 minutes to an hour. I often feel like I need to lie down when that's happening. I also get a lot of gurgling and what i call "productive burps", where I burb a little and I can taste the food at the back of my throat. I've never vomited, post-op though.

How far along post op are you? That's what I am aiming for. Not over full. I would describe my pain in the same way. More uncomfortable than pain and last about 2 minutes.

I get a weird feeling in my stomach that makes me look down at what I am eating and instantly push away the plate. I know then I am done. I also remind myself I can finish it in about 2-3 hours. When you over do it, you will know. You will feel pressure towards the bottom of your esophagus as if all didn't go down and it is sitting there. Not painful but uncomfortable feeling. You don't want to get to that point.

Yes, I just get a hiccup or 2.... and its a wrap!

I think mine is light chest pain with hiccups about a minute later. I know I'm full then. About 2 minutes later my stomach feels full. What's yours?

I get no Signal. Sure makes it hard to know when to stop. I am 4 weeks out and just need to learn to stop after 3 or 4 bites. Sure will be glad when I can eat a little more.

I am entering 4 wks. I just ate 6 medium size shrimps cut very small and I am very full.

I don't get a signal, either. 2.5 months out and I know how many bites to take - I generally just stop when I reach that amount of bites. I know that I've OVEREATEN when I start burping relentlessly and food comes up - it's awesome, lemme tell ya ???? so I generally try to avoid that. Haha!

I'm a little over 2 weeks out and was given the green light this week to being Phase 3A High Protein.

When I first got home, even eating Jello was a bit of a chore. I'd feel it as it entered my stomach and it brought discomfort (not really pain, but it wasn't good either). That was lesson one for me in the Chew, Chew, Chew way of eating. I've always taken large bites and swallowed too quickly - hmmmm, I wonder if that was a part of the reason I had my surgery a couple of weeks ago :)

Anyhow, I'm now finding it more difficult to eat foods in my new diet level. I don't know if the Proteins are too dry or if this is just normal at this stage. Even chewing them up super fine, I still feel that pain/discomfort and, I don't know, gas bubble type feeling? It almost feels like if I'm not careful the food will reverse direction, but it's never gotten to that point. I stop when I feel that, sit back for a moment and usually feel a gas bubble work its way up. After a belch (which is getting old at this point), I feel much better and can try another bite. If anything, I think I'm eating less than I should because of this.

I'm assuming this is normal (first post here, just signed up and stumbled across this thread first), but if it isn't don't hesitate to let me know.

If it is normal, how long before you stop feeling every bite hit your stomach and begin doing its thing there?

Anyhow, this is my Full or Slow Down signal.

I'm still trying to learn my signals at 6 weeks out.

I think most of the time I'm getting a feeling of weight at the back of my throat, but it doesn't always happen unfortunately, so I'm trying to stop after 2-3 bites and just wait for 10 minutes to see what happens. If it is okay, I'll have another bite or two and wait another 10 minutes.

My overfull signals are burps and then a weight/pain in my upper back. And I do still have to throw up sometimes. :(

@@mhuntoon Sounds pretty normal to me if you are only 2 weeks out. I'm a little surprised you are already on solids. I would say it was about 1.5-2 months out before I was 100% okay with most solids.

@@mhuntoon Sounds pretty normal to me if you are only 2 weeks out. I'm a little surprised you are already on solids. I would say it was about 1.5-2 months out before I was 100% okay with most solids.

Not nearly at full solids, just some. I posted this in another thread because I don't know if saying Phase 3A High Protein means the same to everyone. For all I know, this could be something my nutritionist came up with and others use their own plans.

Anyhow, here is what I am allowed to eat for the next 6 weeks (plus Clear Liquids, of course):

Cheese (low-fat preferred)

Cottage cheese

Eggs, 2 (consume <5 yolks/week)

Egg Beaters

Fish

Shellfish

Chicken

Turkey

Deli meat (low-fat preferred)

Lean Pork

Lean Beef (ground)

Soy Milk (unflavored)

Greek Yogurt (<12 carbs)

Yogurt (<12 carbs)

Beans or Lentils (dried or canned beans)(1/2 cup)

Green Beans, Summer Squash, Zucchini (1/2 cup)

*All Proteins must be baked, broiled, grilled, steamed or sauteed.

*No breaded or fried Proteins

*Do not add flour-based gravy to Protein.< /p>

*Do not add any pieces or chunks of any fruit/vegetables to food.

@@mhuntoon I wasn't allowed ANY solids for 6 weeks, so I'm surprised, too. The "air bubble" feeling you are getting is quite common - I struggled with it until about a month out. It happened with everything I ate or drank, and I'm sure it would have been worse for me had I been trying to eat solids. Check with your doctor of course, but I would consider the feeling normal. Don't forget, if you struggle or have pain or discomfort that you don't deem normal or tolerable, go back down a stage (purees) and try again to advance in a few days. Good luck!