Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I freaking out for nothing? Help!

Im new to all of this! I apologize if this is LONG!!

Been researching wls religiously for maybe a year and a half now. The thing that really pushed me to finally make the first step in this process was... having severe undiagnosed pain in my back for 2 years and finally seeing a surgeon. Told me I had bulging discs and the only thing that he could do for me was shots and physical therapy, w/ a recommendation for getting fit and build the muscles in my back.....I'm 24, 310 pounds.... there are days that I feel like I'm an 80 yr old woman. Scared me to think I would have to live with this pain forever!

Anyways, a family friend ( I'm still on my mothers insurance. The family friend is also my mothers co worker, so has same insurance) had the sleeve done so I took that step and made a consult app with the same office she went to. (Central New Jersey...Dr. Ballem/Dr.Rainville) Going in I thought for sure I would have to jump through all the same hoops she had to before getting my date (i.e. 7-8 months supervised diet). WRONG! With bmi so high I only have to do three months!!!! Going in I was okay with the 8 months, thinking it was a good time to prepare. Initially my mind was set on this surgery and I was thrilled to take this journey. When i heard three months at first I didnt know if I was happy or scared. Everything since the intial consult has been a whirlwind! My first consult i got a tentative date of May 5th for surgery. I have already been to 1 dietician app. 2 Left. Only have the pysch evaluation and an endescopy left to do..as a side note I wanted a sleeve to begin with. The surgeon agrreed it was the best option for me since I was relatively healthy. No co-morbids and (besides my back) full mobility.

Now to the reason for posting.....

I actually was very excited to be honest, about the three month thing because that meant the sooner I had it done the sooner i could start a new life. I have read information until my eyes bleed. Was prepared for the maintenance afterwards. I was very positive, had a great attitude about everything up until this past Wednesday when I had my first dietician app. My mom is not supportive of the surgery itself. She keeps reminding me of all the bad things that could happen. So she asks me how it went. I said it went great. I have to start changing a few habits now. (I.e. more Protein, less carbs, chew more, drink more). She goes on to tell me if I can make the changes before surgery why do I need it? I have been exercising for the past three months to help with the back pain and she says that coupled with the healthier eating should be enough to make me drop the weight. She thinks I have not exhausted all the avenues before resorting to surgery. To be honest I probably haven't done nearly as much dieting as some of you which I told the nurse, dietician, surgeon. Im gonna say I started gaining weight in kindergarten. Have only tried two commercial diets ( at 16 yrs and 280 pounds I did Michael Thurmond and last year at 23 and 330 I did Plexus) because I or my family could never afford any of the others long term. I have done numerous attempts on my own to cut back and exercise to no avail. The dietician seemed very positive that I would do great with the sleeve since my problem seems to be with Portion Control and obviously the sleeve would help with that.

After that conversation with my mom the doubts of this whole thing came crashing down on me.....can you guys just answer some questions or input or calm my fears? I'm just gonna list them...

1.How many of you needed your gallbladder removed? Was the option on the table to do it with the sleeve surgery?

2. Long term what Vitamins do you take and how many?

3. I got two body piercings a long time ago. Nose and ear. Both of which i got keloids from. Will my stomach react the same to the staples, infections? Anbody else who has piercings/ had keloids?

4. I have a retroverted uterus. Anbody else have it that has had this surgery? Any complications

( The two questions above are noted in my file to be discussed with my surgeon on nxt visit)

5. Are there ever times when you can eat and drink at the same time? Even just a sip? I understand all the reasons why you shouldn't, just curious if months on out if its possible..my mind is having a hard time wrapping around that thought.

6. What happens if i do all the required visits and chicken out at the last minute? The dietician visits are included in surgery cost, would I end up having to pay for them? I think that's enough for now if I have more questions i will post in comments! Bless you and thank you if you've read all of that. I just need some support.

With my back I was feeling the lowest I possibly could feel and thought that surgery was and is my last shot at living again. My weight has stole my childhood, teens, and now my 20's. I was teased in grade school but nothing like what I was in for in middle school. I ultimately dropped out because I couldnt take it anymore. Since then I have become a hermit. Don't know what to do with myself....weight scares me from doing anything fun in life. I was just ready for change....help!

First I want to say that, while you are young and maybe haven't done as much yoyo dieting as the rest of us, the vast majority of us would say we'd have rather had the surgery years earlier! You have a great opportunity here to have the surgery while you are young and can recover quickly and spare yourself needless years of suffering!

Now, to your questions:

1.How many of you needed your gallbladder removed? Was the option on the table to do it with the sleeve surgery?

I have not had any gallbladder issues as of yet, though I know some do. It's usually more of an issue with RNY and I know a LOT of surgeons remove it when doing the RNY procedure, but I believe it is much less common with sleeve.

My dietitian requires me to take 2x bariatric Multivitamins, probiotic, calcium+D (comes out to two pills twice a day), and B12 for life. I already took a regular Multivitamin, Calcium, and D3 for years prior to surgery, so this wasn't a big deal for me to add a couple more Vitamins to my routine. Main difference was that I learned I should not be taking my Multivitamin and Calcium at the same time, so I've had to learn to space those out.

3. I got two body piercings a long time ago. Nose and ear. Both of which i got keloids from. Will my stomach react the same to the staples, infections? Anbody else who has piercings/ had keloids?

I never had any piercings and never had any other scars keloid, so I can't help you with this one.

4. I have a retroverted uterus. Anbody else have it that has had this surgery? Any complications
( The two questions above are noted in my file to be discussed with my surgeon on nxt visit)

Can't help with this one either.

5. Are there ever times when you can eat and drink at the same time? Even just a sip? I understand all the reasons why you shouldn't, just curious if months on out if its possible..my mind is having a hard time wrapping around that thought.

You will definitely be physically capable of eating and drinking at the same time post-op, you just shouldn't, for all the reasons you are already familiar with. There have been a few times when I've had food stuck in my throat and taken a sip of Water to help wash it down, but you really will get used to not eating and drinking at the same time eventually. My surgeon has pretty lax requirements for this. I only have to stop drinking 5 minutes before eating and I'm allowed to start again 20 minutes after. So it's really no big deal for me at all. I usually go longer than 20 minutes after eating, though, just because I'm very full from my food for about 40+ minutes and have no desire to drink sooner than that.

6. What happens if i do all the required visits and chicken out at the last minute? The dietician visits are included in surgery cost, would I end up having to pay for them?

I don't know about this one directly either, but I have read posts on here about people who have canceled their surgery at the last minute and were able to reschedule for later after they's calmed down, without incurring any additional cost. It will really depends on your insurance company, I assume.

The only question I'm really qualified to answer is the question about eating and drinking. I literally lasted a week, maybe, of not eating and drinking once I moved into solid foods. I just can't handle eating dry food and I had no interest in spending the rest of my life not being able to have a drink with meals. As such, I have eaten and drank with every meal I have had since the very start. The only reason they tell you not to do this is because the Fluid washes the food through your stomach faster, so you end up eating more because you aren't as full. Even though I drink and eat at the same time, I get plenty full without having to worry about whether I eat too much. As long as you are cognizant of how much you eat, there is no medical reason you can't have a drink with your food.

I used to go through probably 2-3 glasses of Water with every meal pre-op. Post-op I realized that I had definitely used drinking while eating as a means of eating more. Post-op, once I moved onto semi-solid foods, as soon as I started feeling a little full, my first instinct was to reach for my water. I never recognized that before my surgery. So I stick to the rule about not drinking while eating, because I worry that if I were to drink while eating, I would eat more than I should. VSG is all about restriction and if you bypass that restriction by flushing food out of your sleeve prematurely to make room for more food, it defeats the purpose. That being said, the guidelines that some people are given about eating and drinking make NO sense to me. Like stopping an hour before and not starting again until an hour after? How would you possibly even get all your water in? What purpose can that possibly serve?

These are all questions for your doc not this site. If your mom is as negitive as you make her out to be take, her out of the loop. Yes, this surgery seems scary until its behind you. I was scared o death until the IV started kicking in. If you really have done your research 99% have 1 regret. That we didnt do it sooner. If you follow the rules you will turn into a new person. Infact you will feel like wonder women ready to take on all with in 4 to 6 months. Maybe even quicker. Hell, Im 55 and feel like I'm in my 20's

First of all, DEEP BREATH! calm down! I am about 4 months post op, I wont lie, it was hard at first and I did have to jump through hoops to get it done.

Second, If you dont do this now, you will regret it for the rest of your life. You are too young to have the problems you have and believe me, they will only get worse with age.

Third, everyone, and I mean everyone, I dont care how much bravado they have, are scared when they go in for surgery, any surgery, you are not alone.

Now to your questions:

I already had my gallbladder out years before the surgery. From years of being obese and eating crap food, my gallbladder died. So if you dont have the operation there is a good chance you may have to have it out anyway.

I just take regular chewable vitamins, nothing extravagant. one a days and they are fine.

Keloids is basically scar tissue. I doubt it will have any effect on your staple line

I have the same and had no complications

Its usually a half hour before and half hour after, you get used to it, its not that big of a deal.

6. What happens if i do all the required visits and chicken out at the last minute?

Now why would you do that if you have come this far. Imagine being 100 or more lbs lighter, it will happen if you do not chicken out!

You have to live in your body, do not let anyone tell you how to live in your body.

now go get'em!

I haven't been sleeved yet, but I just wanted to tell you do not question the decision to be sleeved. I'm 36 and I have lost 100+ lbs twice in my life and gained it all back, plus more both times. And in between those huge losses, I've dieted and lost 10-40 lbs many times. Even if you did diet and exercise to lose the weight, the odds of keeping it off long term is only like 5%. I wish so badly that this surgery had been an option for me at 24.

Thank you everybody! Crazy the differences between doctors. My directions for eating/drinking are 30/30 before/after. I'm confused when some say they are only made to take a multi Vitamin and some have to take d, Calcium, multi, Iron, B12, etc......funny thing my surgeon said only a multi but my dietician said i would have to take all the other ones too. What do i do? Follow the dietician? Also, those of you who are months out, are you still going to your support groups every month?

Thank you everybody! Crazy the differences between doctors. My directions for eating/drinking are 30/30 before/after. I'm confused when some say they are only made to take a multi Vitamin and some have to take d, Calcium, multi, Iron, B12, etc......funny thing my surgeon said only a multi but my dietician said i would have to take all the other ones too. What do i do? Follow the dietician? Also, those of you who are months out, are you still going to your support groups every month?

As far as Vitamins, you are better off following your dietician's recommendations and having regular blood work post op. The blood work will let you see if you are getting too much or too little of anything and then you can adjust accordingly. I've had blood work twice so far post-op (at 2 months and 4 months) and both time everything was in normal ranges, so I have continued to take all the Vitamins my nutritionist suggested. I would be VERY shocked if a nutritionist or surgeon only recommended multivitamin and not at LEAST calcium +D3. I could see some not bothering with B12 or Iron, but calcium +D3 seems to be pretty common across the board.

My gallbladder was removed in my late twenties, after several colicky years. I think we are at risk when we are obese, and weight loss can trigger it.

I already took a multi and D3. I take a multi, B12, Iron and Calcium now. I'll have my first post-op blood work in about a week and adjust if needed.

I seem to be susceptible to ketoids all my life. Also have metal allergies. I've had a bunch of abdominal surgeries and get adhesions from each. I have not had any reactions or issues.

I don't know, I'd ask your OBGYN as well as your surgeon. I do know this has helped my bladder and a rectocele. Losing weight helps many issues that we had had to live with.

This was a weird one to get used to for me. I started preop and am glad that I did. Even pre-op, I was surprised by how much sooner I was full and how much longer I stayed satisfied. I do drink right up until I eat.

6. What happens if i do all the required visits and chicken out at the last minute? The dietician visits are included in surgery cost, would I end up having to pay for them?

That depends on what was negotiated with your surgeon and your insurance

Keep asking questions, there is a wealth of knowledge here. Good luck!

Tracy