Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best tasting protein shakes?

Hello All : )

I just started going to my nutritionist for my pre op approval process and she told me to start trying out Protein shakes. I wanted to ask you all which ones are your favorites? I have used Pure Protein in the past, not sure if that is a good one for Bariatric surgery though. Thoughts?

PREMIER Protein Shakes TASTE GREAT! chocolate ,VANILLA,STRAWBERRY, YOU CAN FIND THEM ONLINE OR AT YOUR LOCAL COSTCO!

Awesome, i will definitely try that first! I need more Protein in my life!! hahaha

like above. premier Protein. I also add espresso to the vanilla shakes. I tire of chocolate, vanilla, so my post workout shakes are Syntrax nectar. they are juice like. not thick, and fruity. call the company, they can send you a sample pack (about 15 for $15 bucks) I liked a lot of them. I bought a big tub of fuzzy navel. nice change from chocolate and vanilla.

never had much luck with unflavored and adding to foods....

good luck

ill dissent premier tastes like butt to me. no ready made shake tastes good to me they al taste like medical waste. I personally like the Syntrax flavors the best and the abouttime fill shake and go products, but again to each his or her own. If you like I do video taste tests of many flavors and products on my blog at http://cuttingthefatwithaknife.blogspot.com

I am in the process of moving them to Youtube but until then they are on the blog, just go back to the begining you see them spread into each entry, no reading necessary ;-)

I've only tried 3 brands - Premier Protein, EAS and Muscle Milk. Premier chocolate was my favorite and I've stuck with it for almost 2 years. I like my shakes a little thicker, so I toss in a scoop of a powdered chocolate Protein mix. It adds 10 grams of protein to my shake too. :)

I've tried the chocolate EAS AdvantEDGE---it was ok. The Premier Protein chocolate is really good. I bought the vanilla but haven't tried it yet. I need to find an unflavored Protein to add to meals still.

Edited by VickiCat

I've only tried Isopure unflavored Protein powder - I like it. Just don't ever eat it by itself! It hardened like cement in my mouth the first time I tried to taste test it! :blink:

I've tried the chocolate EAS AdventEDGE---it was ok. The Premier Protein chocolate is really good. I bought the vanilla but haven't tried it yet. I need to find an unflavored Protein to add to meals still.

I like the PE science Snickerdoodle. It's awesome. They also have one called Blondie that I have not tried. I have tried tons of shakes and just could find anything i could tolerate especially post surgery, everything was so sweet. Trust me your taste will change. Dymatized ISO100 is another one that doesn't make me want to hurl, chocolate and cinnamon bun. I agree that the Syntax Nectars are awesome as well. I like Fuzzy Naval :) Buy them places you can return if your unhappy. GNC and the Vitamin Shop both take returns. I'm sure I'm on the watch list as I have return tons of them. Get samples from companies and online retailers I've decided life is too short to drink bad tasting Protein. Good luck!

HMR Protein is my favorite. 25 years ago I lost 100 pounds drinking it and it was amazingly satisfying. Of course gained that weight back but I still drink the HMR Protein.

HMR is the ONLY Protein Drink I can tolerate post-surgery. The pudding HMR70 actually does taste a bit like pudding.

(yep nursemate2-taste changes dramatically WHY?)

HMR doesn't have as much protein in it but I add some unflavored by Rob Roy.

The HMR Weight-Loss shake Family

Premier has the MOST Protein and that's what you really need to look for --- sure taste is definetely important but we need our Protein intake. To me, besides it having the most protein, I like them the best! :)

Check out https://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html

I ordered a ton of single serving packs to try various brands/flavors. Everyone says taste buds will change after surgery, so may need to go through another round of testing when I am finally sleeved.

Premier is not bad for an RTD shake, but they do get old after a while. Try Jay Robb's egg white Protein and whey Protein Shake mixes. I ordered a sampler of each from www.jayrobb.com, and while they aren't comparable to a regular milkshake, I find them the least objectionable of all the Protein shakes that I've tried. I like the egg white ones the best, since shakes made with whey tend to have a bit of a funky taste (some more than others). I'm really sensitive to the flavor of artificial sweeteners, so I liked that these are made with stevia instead. If you get the vanilla one, you can always add different flavors to it.