Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need everyone's help and support please!

I am quite new to this site and appreciate all the feedback I can get. On 8/4/2010 I had the lapband done (we were still living in NY). We now live in Florida. My issue with the band was that I never went back to get a fill post op because my husband had a heart attack and an emergency triple bypass. Needless to say, the focus was on him, not me. We moved and I continued to gain and gain. I found a great bariatric and began the journey. I did lose 60 pounds, however it was the wrong way because almost everything I ate I threw up. I developed a huge epigastric hernia as well. 2 bouts of acute pancreatitis, gallbladder exploded. My doctor and I sat down and discussed my options. We decided to do the gastric sleeve. I am 4 weeks and 3 days post op and felt like someone kicked me in the stomach. I did have a few complications which kept me in the ICU for 4 nights. Well, I was so down, tired, weak and thought I made a tragic mistake. The good news is that we were in NY for one week to attend my nieces wedding and I was able to dance up a storm. I desperately need people to help me. I m struggling with the 64oz of Protein and fluids. Will I ever be able to eat a small english muffin?? I must say that with all my issues I am a happy camper today. I won't go on my scale at home. I will know more on Monday when I go back. I gained 15 pounds of IV Fluid the first week and then took of 20 of it a week later, so basically I lost only 5 pounds. A bit discouraging, but that is why I am here. I need everyone's help and support. Thank You all for taking the time to read this!!

I can't tell how far out you are from surgery. Keep trying to increase your fluids and you'll get there. Sounds like you're feeling well and losing weight! This does work and you will continue losing. Please don't compare yourself to an "ideal" in your mind or others. Weight loss is very individual.

I see that you are about a month out. I am also a band to sleeve revision and had some complications while in the hospital. I had to stay 5 days instead of the usual 2. My surgery was on 12/9 and I am feeling very good now. For the first few weeks I was iffy on how I felt. As long as you know from your doc that you are ok inside, I would just keep trying to drink your water; sometimes Water enhancers work. I was not able to drink plain Water in the first month so I used enhancers and it went down just fine. Also, of course the Protein is important. Just sip, sip sip and keep plugging along. You should be able to eat your Protein by now in foods but I have gone back to shakes at times. You'll feel back to normal soon. All the best to you.

Edited by Alfie

im a couple days out more than you but the first thing I will say is, Dont eat the english muffin, its all carbs. so whether you can fit it or not, substitute it for something that isnt a waste of calories. Yes its tough, a lot tougher than I thought it would be, but it is doable. The people on here prove it day in and day out. ive lost 44 pounds in 39 days so far since surgery and if you count pre op diet ive lost 74 pounds in 2.5 months. You can do this. but you have to really want it AND work at it. Every day is a part of the struggle that makes up the journey towards the goal. You have to fight for this, because no one else can fight it for you. Draw your inspiration from where you can, friends loved ones, even people here. Heck set up a blog and start writing, even if no one reads it, it is extremely cathartic to let it all out.

Im so sorry about your husband, I hope he is doing well.

You can do this!

We all can!

I revised from a failed band (had for 10 years) to a sleeve 3 years ago.

It is pretty normal to gain a bunch of weight from IV fluids - so don't let that get you down. It is normal to stall a bit. The sleeve can work even if the band wasn't successful for you.

I have lost about about half my former weight and maintaining for 2 years. I was never able to even move out of obese catagory with band.

If you have specific questions...feel free to reach out, but just know the early days are about hydration and healing and working toward Protein goals... it gets easier, it gets better.

desperately need people to help me.

@@caren1027

welcome, welcome, welcome :)

you've been through a lot :(

hubby, hernia, gallbladder, pancreas :(

sorry you are still experiencing post op problems :(

being biased, i'm so glad you had the sleeve

you are on the road to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

start a new day NOW

can't change yesterday

only look towards the future

YOU are the important one

you need to care of yourself

then you will be better equipped to help hubby/others

concentrate on drinking Water for now

water is more important than Protein at this point

maybe set a timer for 15 minutes or so

that will remind you to drink

you do need to get 64 oz a day

protein is very necessary - but get your Water in

try drinking water at room temperature

or add chrystal lite

i know you will be successful :)

not being able to drink much water will contribute to weakness :mellow:

are you having problems swallowing the water, holding it down

if you don't get your water in you will become dehydrated

eventually you will need to go to hospital, get IV for the night to hydrate

6 weeks post op (valentines day!!) i was dehydrated

had to go to hospital and..............

at some point you will be able to eat anything in small amounts

but bread (english muffins) are at the bottom of the list to eat :huh:

glad that you are over all a "happy camper" :)

things will get better

if you want to "talk", write

give me a holler

(not too late, i might be sleeping :( :lol: )

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Kathy,

Thank You so much for your reply. My email is cbassoff@gmail.com and I would love to reach out to you for assistance. I go to bed by 6pm everyday since I work at 6am 7 days a week. Please email me and we can go from there. Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to write to me.

Best Regards

Caren