Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newer You... older habits...

This is a fun topic, kind of to piggy-back off the "you know you lost weight when..." thread I came across the other day.

As we are losing weight, are there things you do that are remnants of when you were at your largest weight?

For example:

• I still default to the handicap stall in the restroom
  • I try to park with more space between me and the car next to the driver-side/or in an end spot to make sure the space isn't too small (because I had moments where I couldn't get into my car when someone parked too close to me)
  • I see my smaller clothing and still wonder how that is going to fit me, and am surprised when it does.
  • I am struggling to get used to more fitted clothing, because I don't want to go to work looking sloppy.
  • Pulling my seat belt out to its further extension to buckle it, then having to tighten it up a lot because I don't need that much belt.

Edited by Trace Lynne

@@Trace Lynne

Thanks this is a great fun post.

I am still doing these..

• I still default to the handicap stall in the restroom
  • I try to park with more space between me and the car next to the driver-side/or in an end spot to make sure the space isn't too small

So this last one with the car happened to me this weekend. It was raining out Saturday night and my husband and I parked in the back side of the parking lot of the movie theater. We went to a fairly early movie at 4:15 and I was so glad we did because when we came out of the movie the theater was PACKED with kids and families and the 20 somethings looking to spend the Saturday night "out" doing something.

We walked back to the car and this pick up truck parked on an angle into the spot next to my car. I was royally peeved #1 because the spot was not meant for a truck of that size which is why he bad to park crooked he couldn't make the turn..and second because it left this sliver of space to get into the drivers seat. I was fuming and telling my husband I don't think I will be able to get into the car at all!!

Yeah well...I was wrong, and there was more then enough room for me to get in and I was not having to squeeze through. However I was still angry because what if it wasn't me now and it was me then?? This person just had no respect for others and that was obvious but it was an eye opener that I could fit through that sliver of space into my car. :)

I went shopping for new tops yesterday and kept defaulting to the larger sizes. Ended up in LARGE but kept walking back to the Women's sizes. I've gone from Size 2X to Large in 11 weeks. My daughter tells me I look "skinny" and I actually have a waist! I keep my sewing machine in the kitchen so I can take in the seams of my slacks before I leave the house.

I'm trying to create new habits - park as far out in the parking lot as possible so I need to walk further, I make a conscience effort to speak to people I know since people don't seem to recognize the thinner me........I'm proud of the decision I made and the changes I've made that have got me to this thinner me!

Oh goodie! I like this topic. OK, here goes:

I still walk like I have thunder thighs. My legs no longer rub together but I still walk like they do. Have to work on that.

I still think I am too big to sit on a crowded subway train. I'm not and starting to realize it, but the brain still has trouble with that.

I try on clothes that are too big. Thank goodness for a saleswoman at Lord and Taylor last week who brought me sizes 6P and 8P when I couldn't bring myself to look at anything smaller than a 10P

I've started tucking in my blouses. That's something I haven't done since I was a young woman.

I think people are crazy when they tell me I shouldn't lose anymore weight, or when my own doctor asks if I'm eating enough. I'm eating healthy...and not starving myself but it's still so odd to hear that when for so long it was comments regarding how much I ate, not how little.

I bought some new 'fashion jewelry' because some of the things I had prior were just too big and chunky for the small me. It's not only that I've lost weight, but I'm short and small boned. I'm pretty tiny at this point and heavy jewelry overwhelms my size.

I'm sure I'll think of other things but these are the top ones for now.

• I definately can relate to the handicapped stall issue. I always go to that particular one no matter where i am.

I like this post......can't wait to see everone's responses!!

The main thing I find myself still doing is before sitting down in a booth I still eyeball it quickly and decide which side is bigger. ;) The other day my daughter and I were at Chili's, she is 15 and quite slim, well they sat us in this booth and we were fighting over pulling the table closer to us since there was sooooo much room. we had to sit on the very edge of the seat to reach the table. If I sat back there was like 12" between me and the table. Where was this table when I was 300+?? LOL

The other thing I am struggling with is my daughter keeps picking me out clothes that are a little more fitted and I am not ready for that. I do see where they look better but I am just not comfortable yet. I am wearing clothes that fit better but not ready for fitted.

It also feels strange to me when I take my jeans out of the dryer, yes I can put them in the dryer, and hold them up to fold and they look smaller to me than what would fit me. I can't even imagine how it will feel as they get smaller.

I'm shocked every time that I can now park in the lot outside the main floor of the mall--where the regular sizes are--instead of parking on the upper level--where the Shop for Women is located. I don't have to go to that department anymore. I'm still surprised that I am no longer a 22, 20, 18, 16 [even 14, for some items].

But if I don't get my butt in gear (and avoid those dang potato chips), ... I've been stuck at 185-190 for 4 months now. Pray for me!!

I STILL perk up when I hear a weight loss commercial or hear of a new weight loss pill or tool the FDA has approved. After 25 years of being on a diet, it's a hard habit to break ;)

The main thing I find myself still doing is before sitting down in a booth I still eyeball it quickly and decide which side is bigger. ;)

HA! I do this, too. I've gotten really good at it over the years.

Since losing 107 pounds I have had to move the drivers seat in my car way up- I am short. Every time I go to get in my car I wonder if I am going to fit. Another incident happened the other day, a coworker was telling their weight and said they weighed 175. I was thinking wow she looks good I can't wait until I get to that number- then it hit me that I weigh 164. It's these small things that make us grateful. Our minds will eventually catch up to our bodies :)

I am struggling with cooking for one. Not one army, one person.

My husband was buying us tickets online to a concert that's not until July. At first I told him to get aisle seats. I always opted for aisle seats because I was so wide, I felt bad for encroaching on a perfect stranger's space, so if I sat on the aisle, I'd only have to encroach on my husband's space.

There weren't any aisle seats available in the section he wanted to sit in and it occurred to me that by July, it won't matter at all if we're on the aisle, because I won't be too big for the seats anymore!

These are so great! I too look at booths for which side is bigger, but Tuesday found myself doing so to be sure my larger guest would not have to have the smaller side. Nice feeling for me, but my heart really broke for her!

Booth-reality part 2: Now when i'm at a restaurant and there are three of us, it's no longer assumed I'll be on the one side alone because I need the room, with the other two sitting side-by side. Nice!

When I'm REALLY hungry I find myself putting more food on my plate than I need or eat now - and then part way through ask myself "What were you thinking?!"

My hubby still wants to pull the car out from our parking space to give me plenty of room to get myself in, space that I no longer need!

My weirdest experience of this: I still think of shopping for and applying make up in an attempt to slim my chubby face and create the illusion of cheekbones, etc....if I di it that way now I look almost gaunt. So last time I went in I told the make-up artist I didn't know how to do make up any other way and could she show me! LOL.

I really like this topic. I have a lot of the same issues. The one that is hardest for me to get over is going directly to the women's department. It has been my life for so long, it is the one that seems to take the longest to get over. But I am having fun working on it! Congrats to all of you!!

I only have 3 pair of jeans now. Well 1....1 pair that fits for the most part but are starting to get a little loose. 2 are too big.....but I still grab them and put them on thinking they will fit just fine. I take them back off immediately but still hang them where I can reach them....because they might fit again. ?? I have always had 2 or 3 different sizes in my closet. I think I'm still shocked that they no longer fit.

I also deal with the booth when I go out to eat....surprises me when I actually have room between me and the table!.

I am always shocked when I fit in the seat at the movie theater....don't have to fight for both arm rests because I need that extra room!

My son and I can pass each other easily in the hall way without him hugging the wall to let me through.

I still don't recognize myself when I catch my reflection in a mirrored surface or shiney glass window.....I always do a double take instead of avoiding them completely!