Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Plateau / Stall = Stalemate

Written by: Brendaliz Roldán

When we started the journey to lose weight, we measure our success or failure on a scale. Like everything usually happens at the beginning, we see happend we want fast and are happy until the scale no longer changes the way we want and that the questions begin ...

Part of this process is the "weight loss plateau (WLP) or weight loss stall", what we know as stagnant weight. It is at this moment that we're frustrated, we doubt we surrender and not seeing the results you want on the scale. The first thing to do is understood to mean the WLP and understand their possible causes.

According to Dr. Debra Fulghum "It's hard to imagine that for weeks in your weight loss program suddenly the scales do not give an ounce. The WLP during weight loss is normal. No matter how diligent be to follow a good diet, occasionally you'll fall off the wagon. The key to continue losing weight, experts say, is to acquire the skills and knowledge itself. This is what will allow you to recover after a relapse. " THE Dr. Troy Lamar, bariatric surgeon explains that "even if you're doing everything perfectly well, it is normal that you stop losing weight at some point. What is recommended when this happens, take note of what is consumed and ensure that their foods are low in fat, carbohydrates, sugar and high in Protein and exercise mild to moderate. " According AWR (2011) weight can be represented by other things besides just fat. You may be losing fat, but that weight is being offset by the gain in weight otherwise. For example, weight loss and weight gain can occur as a result of: ü Grasaü Músculoü Aguaü Glycogen (explained below) ü Estreñimientoü All of the above There is a possibility that a pound of fat lost successfully has been compensated in the same period, it seems to have reached the WLP although some fat is lost. This is why it is a good idea to monitor your progress using more than your body weight (eg measurements, body fat percentage, pictures, mirrors, etc.)

What causes WLP?

The first thing to do is understand our body and understand that no two people are alike. We are all different and we all go through the process in a different way. Part of the process is to know your body!

Body changes and Metabolism

After some time they started losing weight, body composition changes, like nutritional needs. The metabolism tends to self-regulate and adjust to their new needs in a lower weight at this point is that it is more common than WLP (Riverside Surgical and Weight Loss Center, 2013) occurs.

As you lose weight, it is estimated that 25% of lost body tissue is muscle since muscle is critical to keep the metabolism running, lose muscle mass and reduces the metabolic rate slows weight loss. Strength training can help strengthen the muscles and helps speed up metabolism. The theory is that the body adjusts naturally tries to keep the weight where you feel more comfortable, therefore, if you look at the same weight for a long time, you might have come to that comfort zone. Suffice it to add that you face a battle between what your body wants and what you want to achieve. It is possible that at this point need fewer calories and more physical activity to keep losing weight. This is one of the main reasons for the WLP, although there are other factors influencing such problems in the thyroid or adrenal gland, medicine, menopause, hormonal problems, anxiety, ect.

Portion Control

It is very likely that the WLP is because it has stopped carrying Portion Control and a decrease occurred in physical activity. Furthermore, it can affect whether high-calorie foods are consumed frequently. It is a reality that people drop their guard when an initial weight loss and it is perfectly natural. The important thing here is to understand that portion control is essential for weight loss. (WebMD, 2015).

Glycogen

Our bodies use energy storage glycogen short term. Glycogen is not very soluble, but is stored in the muscles for quick energy. Glycogen requires one pound of 4 pounds of Water to keep it soluble, and the mean glycogen storage capacity is approximately 2 pounds. So when a bariatric patient is not getting enough food in the body, which consume is first converted to stored glycogen, which is easily broken for energy. Then when two pounds of glycogen are used the person will also lose 8 pounds of water, which were used to store two pounds of glycogen. There are the "easy" 10 pounds that most people lose in the first week of a diet. However, when the body remains in a state of calorie deficit, the body begins to realize that this is not a short-term problem. Then, the body begins to mobilize fat from adipose tissue and the burning of fat for energy. But the body also realizes that fat can not be used for short bursts of energy. Thus, the conversion of fat into glycogen and rebuilding glycogen starts. As put back the two pounds of muscle glycogen, 8 pounds of water must be stored with it to keep it soluble. Thus, although the patient still may be losing energy content in your body but the weight does not drop and may even gain weight as water retention dissolved glycogen that is reforming and stored (DS Facts, 2014). Note that: 1. the more you lose weight, the weight loss slows and 2. losing weight is harder when you are reaching the ideal weight as the body adjusts to the weight that is most comfortable.

How can we leave the WLP?

ü Keep a food diary : It is important to take daily meals, that way you can see your true eating habits, see if it is complying with the suggested servings, always remember to read the nutritional labels on the foods you eat.

ü Consult a diet change: Ask your dietitian if you need a change in your diet to help the metabolism. Remember to focus on eating foods low in carbohydrates and high in protein and is essential to follow the recommendations suggested by your dietitian food.

ü Consume 64 ounces of water a day.

ü Exercise and start strength training.

ü Get enough sleep and manage stress: Lack of sleep and anxiety is strongly linked to weight gain. Seek professional help and join a bariatric support group.

ü Weigh yourself once a week: Weigh yourself every day can be counterproductive. Use other measures of progress.

ü Most importantly :. Focus on the benefits already obtained with the weight you have lost Make a list of all the things you can do since losing weight, put a photo when I was overweight so you can recognize how far it has come to serve him motivation to continue (Ridgeview Medical Center, 2015).

My motto: If others have been, I do not know why?

If you can!

Note: The shared information is obtained from various sources on the Internet, remember to always check first with your doctor, health professional and nutritionist.