Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thought eating was getting better, but going backwards?

I'm just under 6 weeks out from surgery, and came out of a stall in the last week (sort of - lost a few more pounds). I had my 6 week appointment with the doc yesterday, and they said I'm still in the normal ranges, but moving slower than they'd like. I am cleared to eat anything at this point.

But I can't eat close to the amounts they want to see. I'm barely able to get down 3 ounces in a meal, and I'm throwing up more frequently trying to eat more solid Proteins.

So that means my calories are pretty low. They want me to eat around 1400 a day minimum, I feel lucky if I reach 800. And that's with a large portion of carbs/fat making up the calories. I have been trying to minimize the high fat/carby stuff, but they told me to eat - whatever it takes within reason - as long as I get my calories up.

I just can't eat enough it seems, and I am starting to think it might be better to step backwards and get back on the Protein drinks and such, but even liquids seem to be going down worse (like my restriction is back) and the amounts I can tolerate are less now than the early weeks.

I am getting all of my Water in and usually get most of my Protein, just that the calories are never higher than 800-900 and it's a struggle to get that much.

I'm not even feeling hungry at all, so I have to remind myself to eat something every couple of hours. They told me to "graze" to make sure I get the calories in and once my levels are better and I am able to eat more, the grazing can be cut back...

Anyone else experience this? It's frustrating as I know the low calorie count is the main reason I'm not losing weight, but I can't force myself to eat without throwing up and it doesn't help that I really don't want to eat most of the time now!

There's NO WAY at 6 weeks you will be eating 1400 calories! 600-800 is pretty normal as early on as you are. I'm 5 months out, and I can't get over 1000 yet!

That said, try to eat every couple hours to get your calories in. I wouldn't go back to the shakes, as your pouch does need to start getting used to "real" food. 4-6 smaller meals a day should do the trick to get your calories in. And yes, even if you're NOT hungry ;) You've got to kick that metabolism into gear and give it some food! Good luck and good job thus far with your weight loss!

I'm surprised they want you to eat that much at 6 weeks out. I still don't eat that much and I am 16 months out. I was lucky if I got in 800 calories for the first several months and even now if I try to eat too much dense Protein, I barf. Not to suggest you disregard your doctor's orders, but I've never heard of a doctor suggesting you get that many calories that soon after surgery. You will be back to being hungry again in a few months...enjoy the time now where you're not able to eat a lot and can lose weight quickly.

Are you sure they said to get in 1400 calories NOW? I can see that later but not at 6 weeks.

I'm about where you are and I don't have a calorie goal. 60 g of Protein and 64 oz of Water. In fact my NUT said not to worry about calories because at this stage with my sleeve I couldn't consume more than 800 calories anyway. I've found that to be true since I'm usually around 600 a day.

My NUT was saying 1400 minimum NOW. She says that is why I'm stalled/slow losing weight. And the doc backed her up on that too. I'm doing my best, but I can't tolerate solid meats yet (chicken comes RIGHT back up) and it's so hard to eat when I know I'm only going to be able to take 3-4 spoonfuls and then feeling like I need to throw up after...

Oh, and my metabolism sucks anyway - I have hyopthryroidism. I am taking my Vitamins and trying to eat, but I am DRAGGING and exhausted most of the time... which the doc also attributes to the lack of calories.

Sigh. I never thought I'd have this problem - not eating enough! :P

I'm going to try to hit the store tonight and pick up a few things I know I can eat (Mootopia milk and cheddar cheese for some strange reason) and see if I can't pack in a few more snack times during the day.

At six weeks I would say count yourself lucky to be hitting your Protein and Water goals. Now, my protein goal was and is higher than 60.... my NUT wanted me at 85-100 as soon I was beyond full liquids. But even so, I'm five months out now, not having trouble with any foods, and still don't think I get much above 1000 calories most days.

1400 calories? At 6 weeks? I don't know many people on maintenance eating that much. My recommendation would be just meet the Protein and Fluid goals of 60 & 64 and get in your workouts. Eat slowly so that what you do eats stays down.

Perhaps friend a few people on MFP and look at what they are eating. I'm about your height and at a much higher weight and I am losing steadily. I find that it helps to get the bulk of my Protein in early in the day. This allows me time to sip Water and not feel rushed or pressured to get the rest of my protein in.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Wow! The only day I've made it over 800 was the day I found out my sleeve simply doesn't care how many Reese's Pieces I eat (oops). That sounds like a lot. I'd never say not to do what your doc says, but can't imagine how your tummy will let you follow those instructions.

As much as I'm not a fan of my nutritionist, she recently told me that weight loss would move faster if I got closer to the 80 in the 60-80 gram Protein range, and I've found that to be accurate. I was getting in closer to 60.

If the denser Proteins are still giving you a fit, softer stuff like Beans, veggie burgers, and flaky fish might help fill in those gaps. I don't know about you, but once something comes up there's no more eating for a while - vomiting sucks :(.