Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week later. I feel great

Someone who was about to get their surgery just messaged me, asking how I was doing since they were very nervous. I wrote out my response and then thought others might also want to read about how thrilled I am that I did this. So the rest of this post is my response message.

This is so awesome! Already the best decision I've ever made. Calm your nerves and start dreaming, because they are going to come true.

Ok, I'll give a fuller, totally honest answer so you can assess the situation yourself.

The surgery itself went extremely well. The surgeon said there was almost no blood and the whole thing took only about 30 minutes. But I was terrified ahead of time, being wheeled into that operating room. Right afterwards, I thought I made a huge mistake cause the pain was pretty great. But that level of pain only lasted a few hours. By 11 that night I was face timing my parents so they could witness that I was no longer in a lot of pain.

I was amazed how fast the pain went from a wrecking ball to very easy to handle. During the tough time just try and remember it gets better very very soon. I had been told that I would be in the hospital for one or two nights, but when I woke up after that first night, I knew I would be getting out that day. The pain was minor and I had the energy and will to make sure I met every goal to be allowed to leave. I would go on walks every two hours, dragging my IV behind me.

The one really tough hurdle in the hospital was they wanted me to drink specific amounts of Water every hour. I was so over hydrated by the IV's that the thought of more Water was repulsive. Then it hurts a little to take each sip. But I made every hours goal, and was released at about 6pm.

The next day I was chipper and with my pain meds, totally comfortable. I walked up and down stairs and all about the house. Sitting or standing up was difficult, but once erect I could do anything. One really shocking thing was when I first got back from the hospital, I got on my scale just to see and had actually gained 9 pounds from all the water. So I spent the next couple days peeing more than any human should.

By the second day I was skipping pain meds and on the morning of the third day I stopped taking them completely. There just is no reason for me to take them cause I have very little pain. Mostly just soreness in the belly. On the third day I also started going for long walks each day.

Oh, the first full day home I made a promise to myself that no matter how uncomfortable it was, I was going to make my water goals and Protein goals that day. It was tough, but by the end of that day swallowing was easier and by day three it was very easy.

So far I'm 7 days post surgery and down 14lbs, plus the all that water weight. It's already noticeable in my face and how some clothes fit.

This process is awesome! I was driving and had to pull over because I was having tears of joy, which it's been 15 years since the last I had a happy cry. I just made a realization that I was deserving and ready for the happy parts of life and for a truly new beginning.

Good luck, I really hope your surgery goes as well as mine. I know that regardless of the ease or pain over the beginning, eventually you will be past the hard parts, time always marches on. And when it does, you will will be standing there with a beautiful smile, looking at the new life you worked so hard to accomplish.

Please keep me up to date.

Edited by Eli Alexander

This is a great post. I am on my way to have my mediclal clearance, which is the final step before submitting to insurance. I was feeling a little overwhelmed by the idea that this is the final step and WLS will actually happen. Thanks for the honesty.

Double post

Edited by Eli Alexander

This is refreshing Lolz. I've had 2 c sections and dealt with them fine. I'm nervous that I won't be able to handle the pain. I'm allergic to morphine so I'll have a substitute pain killer and what if I can't drink the Water like they want? I want to be able to be home with my husband and kids. Thank you for breaking it down and giving both the good and bad. Have a speedy recovery and good luck with the weight loss! Congrats on the 14 lbs can't wait to share my story with you as well.

Thanks for sharing! Great to hear! @@harley_quinn25, I have also had 2 c-sections and this is nothing in comparison! I had the IV pain medicine where you control it and I took a total of 3 doses. To by honest, I didn't take them because of pain, either. I took them to help me sleep! What I found the worse was the gas pain and it was relieved by walking. At the hospital I was at the nurses would come in every 4 hours to help you walk. I decided that I wanted to go home as soon as possible so I walked every hour. I viewed it like a work assignment. at the top of each hour I did 10 breaths with the incentive spirometer, then I sipped the Water until I had one ounce in, and then I walked around the hall, increasing my time each hour. In the remaining time I relaxed until the start of the next hour. By viewing it like a job assignment, I was able to stay very focused. My surgery was at 3:30 PM on a Wednesday and I was discharged from the hospital Thursday afternoon!

One more thing to add: for some reason l could not get comfortable in a bed. The nurses gave me a recliner at the hospital and I slept in one at home for about 2 weeks. When I asked the nurse, she told me it was common for side or stomach sleepers not to be able to sleep in their own beds for anwhere from a few days to several weeks.

I needed to read this..my #newme date is Friday 1/30/15. I started this journey 12/17/14 getting approved happened so fast, I'm excited , my fears are small. I'm looking forward to living again...please keep this thread going

So I started this thread in the morning and it's evening now. I'm doing so well that I've walked 27,211 steps so far today. I really want to go for a bike ride but just to be careful I'm putting that off even though I know I could. I have a small blister on my left foot right now, that's ten times more painful than any pain I've had from the surgery over the past three days.

You have this. It's doable even though it's tough, but the payoff is extraordinary.

Wow sounds like things went great. I had my surgery on December 29. The day of surgery I had pain when I woke up. They got it under control pretty quick. Once on the unit I was able to get up and go to the bathroom. Walking was hard because I was Nautious and dizzy. That was from the meds during surgery. The next day I was able to walk the halls but I had stomach pain from being filled with gas. I spent two nights in the hospital. When I came home I was really tired for like two weeks. I would get out of breath and fatigued very easily. However on week five im good. I've lost almost 30 pounds and feeling great. Hope all you're journeys go well

Thanks so much for sharing this. I am going to the info seminar at OHSU this coming Monday night - so I'm way, way, way in the beginning of all this. I'm so glad to have you there telling it like it is and giving HOPE. Thank you!!

Just Beth, my surgeon at Ohsu was Dr. Mattar and I highly recommend him. He runs a very tight ship and he only does two surgeries. He had performed over 700 sleeves and was fabulous. The rest of the staff I dealt with were decent to good, but I'd choose a great surgeon working with a pack of chimps over a crappy surgeon and having everyone else be great.

One problem I had with Ohsu leading up to the surgery was they were not very good at communication. You have to be your own advocate and speak up. When you do, they are quite good. I think they just get very busy, don't be the one to fall through the cracks.

Good luck and if you want to ask any more detailed questions or just chat about the process, send me a message. We could even meet for tea if you live in town. The process is longer and harder than I thought it would be, but so far, the payoff has been outstanding.

Edited by Eli Alexander

Hi eli! Huge congrats on your success so far!! Sounds like you have done incredibly well! Over 27K steps is amazing, do you have a fit bit?

My surgery is in 24 days, looking forward to my new tiny tummy but also so anxious and a bit scared. What you shared has eased my mind. thanks

Hi eli! Huge congrats on your success so far!! Sounds like you have done incredibly well! Over 27K steps is amazing, do you have a fit bit?

My surgery is in 24 days, looking forward to my new tiny tummy but also so anxious and a bit scared. What you shared has eased my mind. thanks

Hi minniegirl, good job setting you date and jumping through all the hoops to get the surgery.

I don't have Fitbit, but have been thinking about getting one. I just downloaded a free app called pacer on my iPhone which counts every step I take, as long as I have my phone on me. Works great, I went on a hike with a friend yesterday who has a Fitbit, and the numbers were almost identical.

This process has been a joy. I know it's weird to think of this in such positive terms, but the sense of accomplishment every day has been tremendous. I am wearing shirts I couldn't button before, and they are actually fitting perfectly. Yesterday I bumped into someone I hadn't seen for a few months and their first words were "crap, you look great!" An odd compliment, but a great one.

I'm lucky because the weather where I live had been sunny for the past week, I'm taking so much advantage of it that I've gotten tan. Your nerves will be unavoidable, but also make sure to let yourself get excited. Dream about the payoff, the little things like knowing everything at a clothing store comes in your size, going scuba diving, or bumping into old buddies and watching their reactions. And dream about the big things too, spending quality years with your loved ones and having respect for yourself.

Good luck, let us know how your process goes.

Edited by Eli Alexander

I am excited for sure, I already have many different stages of "Goal" clothing, I LOVE cute clothes! Also have a laundry list of things I soooo want to do once I can. I am going to bring a notepad to the hospital and have my mom or Hubs write down every activity that comes to my mind after the surgery, right now the list is only in my mind and I am thinking that focusing on verbalizing them during the hours after surgery may help me through. And then once I get home I will have the BIG PICTURE list to focus on... Silly?

How are you doing with the food/liquids? (still just liquids at this stage?) Are they filling you up or do you feel hungry? I am going to try the pacer app, sounds very cool. Enjoy your nice weather Eli, and wishes for continued joy & success :D

Silly, not at all. I think you have a great attitude, and that's what will guarantee success. I love the idea of verbalizing the many dream scenarios right after surgery, although you might find sleepiness, pain and a sore throat hinder those plans for a few hours. Day two that's a great idea.

It was real tough to get enough liquids/proteins down my first day off IV, but I was determined to make my goal, and I did. Second day was easier and by the third day it was a cakewalk. I like the idea of suffering through the drama of making your goals on the first day because then you will never have those hurdles again, and you can start enjoying the process more. Although everyone's body is different, and I know that for some people it's not a matter of pushing through, their esophagus and stomach is just too swollen to permit the goal to be achieved. Just do enough that at the end of day one you can confidently tell yourself that you gave 100% effort.

We all go through a very similar process with the same fears, dreams, pains and victories, but the timing is very different by the individual. We must judge ourselves and not compare too closely to others. Two years from now, when you weigh your goal weight, will it matter at all if it took you an extra month to tolerate solid food, or that your weightloss stalled for three weeks in December? What matters from the planning stages you are in, to the post op stage I'm in, through to the living a normal life stage we one day will be in, is to always be working towards improvement.

You sound awesome, keep it going!

Thank you for posting this. I was sleeved Thursday, and I've been home for about 2 hours. I had the same feeling of panic sitting in the wheelchair outside of the operating room. If they took my heart rate it would have read off the chart. Immediately after surgery I was in A LOT of pain. Apparently my body doesn't respond to the pain med they gave me. Once they figured that out, it was much smoother. My first day was a little tough - I was in a room with 3 other people that smelled like poo and had one woman audibly moaning in pain. The beds hurt my back terribly. I most definitely had a omg what have I done to myself moment here and there.

Today was a brand new day, whole new mindset. I got to leave the hospital and I'm home and in such a better headspace. Like you, I weighed myself for giggles ha! 11 lbs full of fluids - no wonder my fingers felt so swollen! I'm having trouble finding i comfortable place to sit/lay. They want me upright when drinking, which I'm expected to be going basically always. I'm still taking medication and will until I'm in a little better shape. Back to the Water bottle!