Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared, Scared, Scared - Lap Band Surgery Date coming up Jan.30, 2015

Hello Everyone!

I've been a member for a few months but this is my first time posting something. My surgery date is this Friday the 30th of Jan and I can't believe I have made it through all of the required appointments - 6 months - for insurance to approve. I've done much reading, research, asking questions and certainly gained a lot of knowledge however reality has hit like a tun of bricks and am so scared now.

Please forgive me if what I ask appears redundant but has anyone out there been so scared they felt like backing out? I'm almost to the point of writing "Goodbye Letters" - if ya know what I mean.

I could certainly use some pearls of wisdom from folks who were just like me or who are going through the same anxiety

Thank you all in advance!

Hello Everyone!

I've been a member for a few months but this is my first time posting something. My surgery date is this Friday the 30th of Jan and I can't believe I have made it through all of the required appointments - 6 months - for insurance to approve. I've done much reading, research, asking questions and certainly gained a lot of knowledge however reality has hit like a tun of bricks and am so scared now.

Please forgive me if what I ask appears redundant but has anyone out there been so scared they felt like backing out? I'm almost to the point of writing "Goodbye Letters" - if ya know what I mean.

I could certainly use some pearls of wisdom from folks who were just like me or who are going through the same anxiety

Thank you all in advance!

Hi @CC155. I'm not sure if you are scared of the surgery or of the unknown. If your fear is the surgery, the statistics show that you are overwhelmingly likely to survive with no issues at all.

If your fear is of the unknown, all I can tell you is that two years ago when I had lapband surgery, I couldn't imagine what my life would be like without my best/worst friend, which was food. Best/worst because I loved to eat but it was killing me.

So what has happened in those two years? Well, I've lost 150 lbs. and have gotten my life back. I don't miss eating to excess....not any more. Especially not when I am thinner than I've been since I was a teenager. Not when I wore 26/28 slacks and 4X tops and now I wear 6 petite slacks, small petite tops, and 8 petite dresses. Not when I used to struggle to walk because my knees and hips were killing me and now I walk with almost no pain and every step I take is like a miracle to me. Not when I get attention from both sexes. Not when people notice me now instead of looking through me. Not when I fit in the world again instead of being too fat for it.

Hang in there...I understand you are nervous but I'm excited for you. You are starting the most wonderful journey of your life and I can't wait to read about all your future successes.

Hi there, I think most every one is extremely nervous and excited prior to surgery. I am 53 and had never been an overnight hospital patient before. I didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised by how much easier it all was than I thought it would be. I think it's because it's a wellness surgery -- not being in the hospital due to accident or illness makes a big difference. My worries had to do with whether it would work for me or would I fail like the zillion diets and programs I had tried. Would I have to give up favorite foods, etc. None of this had any merit -- just those weird thoughts that come bubbling up at times of anxiety. I overrode any nervousness with humor and positivity. To this day I would have the surgery over again In a heartbeat. It has changed my life and I am so happy to be at peace with food. I still love food, but in small amounts at appropriate intervals. To me this is a miracle.

My surgurey is tomorrow and I am having the same type of anxiety. I am afraid of some snafu with the annethesia ... or something strange like that happening. This is my last day at work and I am super excited and scared. Lets keep in touch CC .... I will share my post op experiences with you :)

it's very normal to have anxiety and fear. I almost jumped off the gurney but was determined to follow this through. I can honestly say it went well. No problems except I get nauseated easily from any kind of pain meds so I had to get something for nausea but after that I felt fine. went home the next day and drank and walked. minimal pain. Best of Luck you will be so happy you did this.

I'm scared to I will have surgery February 10 and what makes me look forward is summer is coming and I will be looking less because of the weight. I'm 56 and I think about putting me under but all I can do is pray. I hope all goes well for you.

3 years ago at age 53 I had the lap band done. Considered morbid ly obese, at 225 lbs, tired , hated the way I looked and felt, had trouble doing everything. NOT living a happy, healthy life at all !! Existing, not living. Today ?; MUCH better !! A happier, healther, slim mind, body and soul. The recovery was easy, as was the surgery , the next 6 months was FUN because the weight was falling off and the compliments were coming in and I was getting better by the day ! So take the plunge , and 6 months from now you'll be wondering why you were so scared over nothing !! Best decision ever !! Good luck !!!

Totally normal! I remember laying in bed unable to sleep the night before my surgery I was so terrified...of both the procedure, and the unknown of post op! I even asked my husband WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING???? I can tell you, I have no regrets! I live a life I never imagined...from the size of my clothes and being able to shop in any store I want, to how I can walk without being out of breath, I can actually PLAY with my kids! It's amazing!! You have a whole new life to look forward to, you can do this!

Hello Everyone!

Thank you all for your supporting words. It's now less than 12 hrs to go till surgery on 1/30/15. Surgery time in 10:40am.

Wide awake! At least for the moment!

I will post an update soon.

Bless you!

My surgery was scheduled for 3:00p.m. (actually had it at 5:30) so I took my 14 year old son to school like normal. I could tell he was worried, not much but I could tell...I assured him I would be alright. He kissed me good bye, closed the door and I balled like a baby! Needless to say every thing turned out fine but I too was worried.

I'm so glad that there are people out there who feel just like me! My surgery is Monday at 10 AM and I couldn't be any more nervous. I have a three-year-old an 18-year-old and a 19-year-old and I just want to be here for them and my husband for many manyyyy years to come. I just keep thinking about the inevitable but I know that everything is going to be okay I mean I've had a Tummy Tuck in 2005 was under eight hours with that passed out after having the surgery due to losing so much blood and everything of that sort but everything turned out fine I would have that surgery again in the heartbeat!

Cc how did everything go?

Edited by blbaltazar

I think many of us had some trepidation with surgery... I did also

Just read that there is far more complications and yes higher mortality rate with a knee replacement

Tomorrow will be better????