Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Energy 3 weeks post sleeve surgery

Hi Everyone, 1st time posting!

I had sleeve surgery 1/07/15 and aside from a couple if blips everything went well. No nausea, very little pain, went thru 1 week of Clear liquids then a week of "full" liquids and now am on what I think are called "mushies". Anyway, while on liquids I was full of energy and feeling great. I returned to work on 1/21/15 and feel extremely drained and totally lacking in energy. I've been getting approximately 50-65 gr of Protein a day (combo of Protein shakes and actual food) and also trying to get in 64 oz of Water but not getting near that target yet.

Any suggestions on what might be causing me to feel so awful? I feel achy all over and vague pain in my lower back. I wonder if I should have stayed on full liquids awhile longer, I felt really good then. Has this happened to anyone else? This newbie would love some advice!

thanks so much!

I was really tired after going back to work 15 days post-op. There's a big difference between just hanging out around the house with the occasional errand and going to work 8+ hours a day. I'd say my first two weeks back were pretty rough.

It's perfectly normal to feel tired this soon after surgery. Make sure you are taking your vitamins/supplements and work on getting in all your fluids. You're body will eventually regulate itself. Until then listen to your body and nap when you can.

Totally normal to feel extra tired when you start resuming normal activities. I was shocked how tiring sitting at a desk for eight or nine hours really was!!

My advice is to take things as slow as you can and give yourself time to recover. Build your activity level up gradually so you don't push yourself so hard you end up in bed for a day recovering! (Voice of experience on that one.)

I know that I didn't get back to my normal energy levels until about six weeks after the surgery. Fortunately I have a very supportive workplace that was flexible with me during that time!

Hi Everyone, 1st time posting!

I had sleeve surgery 1/07/15 and aside from a couple if blips everything went well. No nausea, very little pain, went thru 1 week of Clear Liquids then a week of "full" liquids and now am on what I think are called "mushies". Anyway, while on liquids I was full of energy and feeling great. I returned to work on 1/21/15 and feel extremely drained and totally lacking in energy. I've been getting approximately 50-65 gr of Protein a day (combo of Protein shakes and actual food) and also trying to get in 64 oz of Water but not getting near that target yet.

Any suggestions on what might be causing me to feel so awful? I feel achy all over and vague pain in my lower back. I wonder if I should have stayed on full liquids awhile longer, I felt really good then. Has this happened to anyone else? This newbie would love some advice!

thanks so much!

Yes, make sure to take B-12 for energy.... but this may pass soon as everyone else said please take your Vitamins

I was told by my Nut, fitness chick, and the psych, that energy stores get depleated until we are able to get all of our nutritional needs met. The exhauation will pass. Keep on getting in your Protein, and water!

Dehydration can make you feel weak and give you a back ache as well. Backache is your kidneys way of telling you you need more Water. Drink the amount of Water you are supposed to drink. Take your Vitamins too.

It's absolutely normal for you to feel this way at 3 weeks out as it happened to most of us. It is most likely dehydration so make sure you drink a lot of Water or any other fluids you can tolerate. Hang in there! You'll be getting your dry back soon.

Thank you everyone who offered me advice! I think you are right, I'm probably dehydrated. It's so tough to get in the Protein AND the water! Question - do the Protein Shakes and protein Water drinks "count" in your daily liquid totals? I've kind of been keeping an eye on my urine output/color to see if I was getting dehydrated, but obviously there is way more to it, more indicators of a problem developing.I really appreciate the advice of people who've been thru this and lived to tell the tale!

I don't know if the Protein drinks count toward your liquids total. Let's presume they don't. I also have a hard time drinking both the Protein Drinks and all of the Water I should, so I know what you are going through. But that Water is so important. Make a great effort. It really helps on the cellular level to move fat and wastes out of cells and out of the body. We do not want gall stones or kidney stones. Keep up with the Vitamins and minerals too. You are in charge.

I hope that today you are feeling a bit better and manage to get your fluids in better too.

Feeling much better today, after making a few changes. After doing some reading about Water absorbtion I thought I might need to increase salt intake a bit, so the fluids I'm drinking have time get absorbed in my intestines. I had six olives last night and another 6 olives this morning. Also, I increased my food intake a litle, also to give Fluid more time to absorb. I was eating very, very little (my surgeon said I should lose 25 lbs by the time of my next appointment - yikes, that sounds like a lot) And I'm really pushing the Water. So all 3 things are definitely helping and today I feel about 75% better.

Many thanks for all your help!

I was the same way, but I had some bloodwork done about 4 weeks post-op showed I was severely iron-deficient. I started on Iron supplements and verrrrry tender red meat. It was amazing what a difference a week made!