Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This surgery feels like a big mistake.

3 weeks in and I still get sick from everything. Even Water. I'm so frustrated.

What makes matters even worse, I'm afraid that I won't be able to eat stuff normally ever again.

Long-time sleeve users, please help me out here.

What's an average meal like after the stomach's fully recovered? Like, if you were to eat a steak, could you eat the whole thing, or would you get full halfway? I know I don't have to worry about this for another 4-5 weeks, but I'm still curious.

I'm afraid I'm not getting enough in. Not even enough Water.< /p>

You're early days yet. The tummy needs time to heal. It also sounds like you have a bit of mental work do to. I eat everything I used to eat before surgery just in smaller portions and I'm only 4 mths out. I tolerate every food I've tried.

Try mixing the Water 50/50 with apple juice. It may help it go down easier.

You're early days yet. The tummy needs time to heal. It also sounds like you have a bit of mental work do to. I eat everything I used to eat before surgery just in smaller portions and I'm only 4 mths out. I tolerate every food I've tried.

Try mixing the Water 50/50 with apple juice. It may help it go down easier.

Well, that sounds pretty convincing, at the very least..

How much does the new stomach actually hold? My pamphlet says it only holds one ounce while it originally held 40, but that sounds way too farfetched to be true.

Hi, The first couple of weeks were very frustrating. I had to go back to the pureed stage for an additional month. It wasn't a cake walk, but it was the best thing for me. I learned what I could and couldn't tolerate. I am a year our and I can eat "almost" anything. There are some foods (pork) that my stomach can't stand. Some people can eat anything, but I am not one of them. It's ok with me though. There are so many other options out there.

I never thought I would be able to eat anything good again. I was (and am) able to. Just went out for a friend's birthday dinner tonight. It felt great to look at the menu and order something I really wanted, instead of something that would have the biggest serving. When I was recovering I was really frustrated when people would tell me "It will get better"....it truly pissed me off lol, because I was so miserable. You will be able to enjoy food again, on a whole new level!!!

Hi, The first couple of weeks were very frustrating. I had to go back to the pureed stage for an additional month. It wasn't a cake walk, but it was the best thing for me. I learned what I could and couldn't tolerate. I am a year our and I can eat "almost" anything. There are some foods (pork) that my stomach can't stand. Some people can eat anything, but I am not one of them. It's ok with me though. There are so many other options out there.

I never thought I would be able to eat anything good again. I was (and am) able to. Just went out for a friend's birthday dinner tonight. It felt great to look at the menu and order something I really wanted, instead of something that would have the biggest serving. When I was recovering I was really frustrated when people would tell me "It will get better"....it truly pissed me off lol, because I was so miserable. You will be able to enjoy food again, on a whole new level!!!

Really? I always had this thought that you would need to eat such little portions of stuff after you fully heal.. I guess it just depends on the person.

Maybe three weeks of eating nothing but crap just got me like this.. thanks for the information.

Well, that sounds pretty convincing, at the very least..

How much does the new stomach actually hold? My pamphlet says it only holds one ounce while it originally held 40, but that sounds way too farfetched to be true.

I honestly don't know. I know my meals are typically about half to three quarters of a cup, depending on what I eat. Not sure if that will be different a year from now. I am however completely satisfied with everything I eat.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I'm a year out. So I can eat more portions (not much). But even a small meal at a Japanese restaurant is good for me, and I brought food home. I can only eat about a few tablespoons of chicken & veggies (i don't eat rice or pasta), I've learned that is my norm....without pushing it. I also eat something every three hours. It helps me from feeling like I'm starving and over eating.

I remember feeling the exact same way you did after surgery. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

You will learn to be patient and eat slow. In 3 to 4 months you'll be able to eat 6 to 8 ounces at most in one sitting.

I don't know what others nutritionists have to say but mine said that we are to never eat more than 1 cup (8 oz) at one sitting for the rest of our lives. As far as the Water goes...have you tried crystal light or watered down G2 Gatorade? Those two helped me and my husband so much (still do!!). Also, lots of ice. I love ice!

Good luck to you! I hope that you are feeling better soon!

Great topic. I've read where people can eat a whole bag of potato chips. Also seen several who can eat 2 pieces of pizza

why would you want to go back to the way you were eating before surgery??isn't that the reason you got it to begin with???I would never want to go back and I never will,just sayin

Hello. I never got sick right after surgery.....thank God Almighty! I can only imagine what you go through! We are all different tough. Your experience will be your very own. It doesn't mean something is wrong with you...it just means your road is a little more bumpy than others. Try to take it one day at a time. You will figure out whats right for you with the help of your doctor.

I can tell you that I worried.....way too much....about how much I will be able to eat. I think most of us do. Youre used to a certain way of eating and getting through your day. Things are going to change. That's why you went through with this, right? Something had to give. It is shocking to see how much you once ate compared to how much you are eating..or not eating...now. I completely understand!

I thought for sure I would only be able to eat 1/4 cup of food for the rest of my life and it depressed the hell out of me! I enjoy food. Good food, bad food....all of it! I am up to about 1 cup of food at a meal now at 5+ months out. I think this is the norm for me now. And, guess what, I'm am totally used to it! It's okay! Do I want a giant chunk of cake or a big plate of Mexican food....oh, yes I do!!! But now I can have a bite of my favorites and be okay with it. I am down 66lbs and it feels great! I wouldn't have been able to do it without the surgery. So I am thrilled with my new eating habits. I am thrilled that I no longer crave junk food. I am thrilled that if I do want junk food 1 bite makes me happy! I never thought in a million years that I would be ok with a bite instead of a hunk!!

Good things are coming your way! One day at a time! One accomplishment at a time! One realization at a time!

I am four months out and I am just not hungry a great portion of the time. I went out yesterday and ate the salad and brought home the chicken and broccoli. It will take me a few days to eat it. I watched my friend eat ravioli and I didn't even miss it. I remember how I could eat a big plateful of it after eating bread and salad.

Now I understand my stomach could hold that much in the old days, but my body didn't need it. And the surgery reminds my head of my body's true needs.

It does get much better. I was still trying to gag down Water at your stage!

Hi - I posted this in another topic about reflux/lump in throat/etc.

I am almost one month out after my surgery. I am on pureed and soft food. I feel like I have a lump in my throat all of the time and it causes me to feel like I am almost always on the verge of throwing up. I also have a lot of drainage and my mouth is creating a lot more saliva than I am used to which is adding to the nausea. I was eating cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, etc. but I think the dairy is adding to my phlegm issue. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I take 40 mg Prilosec every day for my reflux. I am also always thirsty but I feel like I am drinking too much because I get so full! Also, I thought I would not feel hunger pains anymore but I do.

I am miserable!

Thanks,

Chele

Don't worry. At 5 or 6 months you will not spend much time thinking about this. You will eat what you want. If I go out to eat, I get a normal meal, eat what I want until I feel satisfied (which does not take much), then I bag up the rest and have leftovers to snack on. I can eat a very good cut of steak now but in general I do best with turkey (meatloaf, meatballs, turkey rolled up with cheese and lettuce, etc). I've come to love cheese and almonds as Snacks. The feeling of deprivation and obsession will leave you. You are going through the worst part. You will be great.