Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Early menopause and other disasters

Only me. I can't even make this up. Quick stats, for reference. I fell in love with working out in this past year, I was sleeved 2/14. Running and p90x, and I'm kinda proud of my muscles now. I was at 27% body fat a couple months ago when I got measured. I'm so healthy, right? Right???

Except that now I have a bum hip from all of the exercise, which my doc attributes to the extreme weight loss. It would seem our tendons and ligaments don't shrink back very well ( think old rubber bands) and it makes us wls patients especially prone to connective tissue injury. I'm still running (don't tell my doc!) but I've modified the Spider-Man jumpy things from p90x.

But wait, there's more!!!!! Now, I have put myself into early menopause. That's right folks! All of my hard work has caused me to burn off too much estrogen (ironic for a former fat girl who's had 3 endometriosis surgeries and infertility) and I lack the fat to hold enough estrogen in my body. So now I have blanket drenching night sweats, hot flashes, breast pain... I'm 38. I'm not ready for this. I'm taking black cohosh and evening primrose. My doc recommended them. He says this is happening because of the wls.

I thought I was supposed to be happily ever after!!!!!!!! Ugh. I just have to laugh, otherwise I'll get so frustrated my head might pop

Those developments are disappointing. Sorry you have had to deal with them.

at 27% body fat and someone says you lack the fat to hold estrogen? if that was true then every thin woman would be in menopause. I don't give medical advice but maybe seek another opinion. also why wouldn't they just supplement your estrogen? Menopause at 38 is quite young. and I've never known an MD to prescribe homeopathic remedies either it's extremely frowned upon by the AMA and legally could cost that doctor a lot of money for malpractice. I did a lot of paperwork for those type of cases when I was working as a paralegal a few years ago.

Seeking another doctor especially where you have such a history of Gynecological issues, would not be a bad idea. But again.

I went through menopause fairly young - early 40s - my BMI was in the 50s. My primary care doctor said she had patients go through it in their 30s, unusual, but not unheard of. I have a very very hard time believing that a body fat of 27% is too low and would cause this... I too would suggest another opinion, perhaps from a gyn?

I have "joint issues" that were caused by my lifetime of obesity - was not caused by WLS. I modify activities to protect my knees. i found out a year ago (thanks to a crappy personal trainer) that I also have hip issues/arthritis. I still ride horses, go skiing, do high intensity workouts and just started kickboxing. I would love to run and maybe do a tough mudder, but I am sure it would really kill my knees so choosing to not do that.

People say WLS causes excess skin for example. I think "no, obesity caused excess skin, losing weight removed the fat and now I see it as excess skin." WLS didn't cause connective/joint issues - the damage was done by the obesity and living this high intensity workout lifestyle causes you to notice it.

BTW, a good friend is 2 years younger than me, tiny tiny 95# lady who was never obese. She had to have a knee replaced a year ago. some of it is just life, bad luck etc. and not always caused by obesity or losing weight.

I think doc is blaming the change in body fat vs the percentage. And I agree about the joint problems from being fat: my tendons and ligaments wouldn't be stretched out if I had never been huge. I would not take hormone replacement because of my complicated gyn history and breast cancer risk. And of course, is rather have these issues than continued morbid obesity issues. I just really (childishly) imagined "congratulations! You've hit your ideal weight! Now everything is perfect!!"

jenny... I know what you mean. I am sometimes a little saddened by the "damage" and wish I had a "do over" available, but i don't.....I do however take condolence in knowing I am more active, fit and feeling good than many women my age!