Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months in & can't eat solid food

Hi all, it's the first time I've written in here & hoping someone will be able to help! I had my gastric sleeve surgery in July 2014. I weighed 252Ibs & now weigh 182Ibs & Im thrilled!! My issue is that I still can't stomach solid foods. I'm ok with mushy food like cottage pie, lasagne etc but I can not eat say chicken, lamb, beef or vegetables unless they've been minced. I thought I'd be beyond this by now & hoped to find some advice & guidance. Many thanks

Call your doctor. 6mths in you should be able to eat solid food.

Im 3 months out and I have the same issue,, I can eat solids but I prefer mushy foods and Protein shakes. Its really hard for me to eat and not drink.. I need Water so I think that is my problem on why its not comfortable for me.

@@higfir2

I had intense food aversions for several months, too. It periodically still comes up. It's more an emotional than physical problem. Your Dr should be able to point you to what you need to work through it ( or who can help)

What happens when you try to eat solid foods? I'm 4 months out and have frequent problems with food getting stuck, causing chest pain and throwing up. I'm giving it until my 6 month appt and if it's still happening, I guess I'll talk to my doctor. (it even happened to me with chili)

Thanks everyone. I feel sick & I often vomit. It's interesting what you say about an emotional reaction. I wondered that myself as post op I had terrible acid reflux as I know many of you have had also & I was sick a lot.

@@higfir2

We each have such a unique experience, no matter how many people we talk to or how much quantifying we do there still seems to be a lot of winging it and figuring it out on our own.

You may be having a physical reaction to something in your diet, environment, etc and that possibility needs to be addressed before you move on to addressing it as an emotional problem.

I still have problems with nausea, vomiting and food aversions also but in my case it's my emotional boogeymen just trying to get me to do the two-step. I also sometimes look in the mirror and see no difference. As time passes and we just march forward, usually feeling good lately, sometimes with grim determination - it does get better. It really does.

I strongly urge you not to wait. Get your healthcare team on this right away. If you're having a physical problem it needs to be resolved already. Well, same for emotional problems, right?

Peace and Comfort

I'm only one week past surgery, so I don't know personally, but someone else I know who had a similar problem was able to overcome it by chewing a lot more. She said for two months she had to count 25 chews every bite, and then the problem worked itself out.

Good luck. ,

Try making sure your foods are moist. Use lowfat gravy, etc. It helps me.

It took me a very long time to know my body and eat solid foods without vomiting. Even 18 months out I still need to be careful with chicken and other meats, if they are not cooked in a crock pot or super moist they will make me feel sick. I say take it very slow and get to know your new stomach. Chew very well, eat super slow, and when eating meat make sure that it is very moist, use lots of lowfat dressings, salsa, honey mustard, etc

Thanks everyone. It's really good to hear from people who have had the sleeve for longer. A lot of the diet advice online is only for the first 6 weeks do not helpful for me. I went to see my consultant who checked me over & all fine medically. He thinks it will just take time & to keep trying to introduce solids in to my diet slowly. I've now lost 84Ibs since pre op diet July 2014. I'm happy with that & never wanted to be 'skinny' so Id like to get to the maintaining stage soon. My family & friends get concerned so spend a lot of time reassuring them! I guess it's natural though ???? x

Hi all, it's the first time I've written in here & hoping someone will be able to help! I had my gastric sleeve surgery in July 2014. I weighed 252Ibs & now weigh 182Ibs & Im thrilled!! My issue is that I still can't stomach solid foods. I'm ok with mushy food like cottage pie, lasagne etc but I can not eat say chicken, lamb, beef or vegetables unless they've been minced. I thought I'd be beyond this by now & hoped to find some advice & guidance. Many thanks