Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had sleve sugery on January 4 2014 and I'm still having problems keeping food down. It's more after supper or when I wake up. It feels like the food isn't being processed because it's hours before I throw up. Some meals stay down and some don't. What is my next thing I can do. My doctor said to eat soft foods for three days and then try foods with more substance. I've done that three times and the same thing happens. Any help would be great. What's my next step.

They should be doing more at this time in terms of looking for stricture or a food diary and finding if there is a common thread in the problem foods.

Some people have to stay in each phase longer than a few days. You're body may not be ready to progress yet. Try doing 2 Protein shakes a day and one small meal. Make the meal at a time when you are most active. For me that would be either Breakfast or lunch. Add in one food at a time. Wait a few days to see if your sleeve likes it and then progress to adding another. The foods you are eating may simply be too heavy for your tummy right now.

Every doctor has a different protocol. I was 2 weeks all liquids, 2 weeks purees, 2 weeks soft foods then all foods as tolerated.

So if you had surgery Jan 4th, you're only 3 weeks out of surgery right? Every surgery clinic does things so differently but for me, I had 3 days of just Clear Liquids, then 1 full week of full liquids, then 2 weeks of soft foods, before I could even think about any other foods. If you've already been on soft foods and been throwing up, maybe give your new tummy a break and go back to just liquids for a week or so? Try creamed Soups, yogurts, Protein shakes, puddings, broth... just take it really slowly... but truthfully my doctor says throwing up is not okay, it's really bad for the staple line, so you might have to get a little pushy and advocate for yourself if you continue to be sick. Hope you feel better soon!

Was your surgery a few weeks ago or last year? Your post says, 2014, which if that's true is like my issue below, but if you were sleeved 3 weeks ago in 2015, totally ignore my issue, lol. Surgery three weeks ago with some barfing sounds normal, especially if you are eating too quickly. This is the prime point though where you could develop a stricture, so push the issue with your surgeon and have them make sure everything is good.

Now, if your surgery was in 2014...

It seems you and I have a comparable issue, although I'm fairly certain my problem happens because I eat too quickly, since it's pretty much a matter of eating, feeling like the food is stuck in my throat, puking, and feeling all better. I was sleeved in September of 2013 and I feel like I really didn't have any major issues with barfing until around September of 2014. Since then I have developed the unpleasant habit of barfing several times a week, usually because I either ate something my sleeve doesn't like (almost always some form of melty fat like cheese) or because I eat too quickly. Dense Protein is especially problematic since I feel like I'm eating like I used to and then one too many bites into it, it's like it starts to come right back up my throat.

Since I don't have the problem when I eat soft foods slowly or when I eat dense Protein very slowly, I tend to think that the barfing is what happens when I forget I don't have a normal stomach anymore and try to eat like I used to in not only too much of a quantity but too quickly.

Good luck!

I'm sorry it was November 4 2014 when I had the surgery

@@Brian L. Nuernberg - Call your doctor. You should be ready for regular food by now. I was sleeved in September and have been on regular food since 6 weeks out.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Right after I had surgery, I felt pretty tired for around the 1st month. I laid down a lot. I found that food came back up if I ate and then laid down for awhile right afterwards.

Ask your doctor if it may be a stomach acid issue either too little or too much. It may be as simple as that; you aren't producing enough gastric juices to digest properly. All the people posting in this thread have provided several reasons why. Personally I would be pressing my doctor to figure out what is wrong with me if he isn't willing to do so I would seek a second opinion and get things sorted out. I'm so sorry you have had to go thru all of this. My program director said as a general rule of thumb. Go back to your previous stage of eating if you have problems for a few days then go back to where you were. Unfortunately there is a ton of trial and error with this surgery. You may be eating things you just need to stay away from. I bought a few bariatric cookbooks to look thru for meal ideas. Have you tried plant based Proteins instead of meat? ? Like Beans and cheese? ? Hope you can find something that works for you. Throwing up is never fun.

I'm sorry it was November 4 2014 when I had the surgery

Brian -

I was sleeved in October - I cannot eat ANYTHING with a cooked Tomato in it. I get ill instantly. I have recently gone back to Protein shakes for Breakfast and lunch and I am eating plain chicken for dinner. I do find that I have trouble realizing that my pouch is full sometimes and this was a mini reset for my system. I would call the doctor if you are unable to hold any solid foods.

Good luck.