Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Constipation: Advice Please

I am one year post op and have battled Constipation since month three. I went on Thursday to see my surgeon regarding this issue. He has me drinking Miralax everyday now and has ordered a stool analysis to check fat content. He was very shocked when I told him about the constipation. I have also had a significant weight loss stall for the past 5 months. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

All I can think is to increase your Water intake. Usually when I get constipated eating sliced cucumber will help it out. I think the water content in it does the trick. I also increase my water intake. Hope you get some relief soon.

For a DSer, you should increase your fat intake, check to ensure you're drinking enough fluids and watching your carb intake.

I am getting about 120-140 ounces of Fluid a day right now. The increase in fat makes sense, however, my nutritionist doesn't want me to exceed 30 grams of fat per day. I have a follow up meeting with her on February 5th. Hopefully I can get this resolved. I think the Constipation may be adding to my weight loss stall as well.

There is a hot tea called Smooth Move (ha, get it?) that always works for me. But your Fluid intake is great.

Good luck.

Prunes or prune juice maybe?

You aren't eating enough fat. Get an order of guacamole or eat apiece of cheesecake to get things moving. Maintain by adding Peanut Butter, real butter an heavy whipping cream in your coffee daily.

Do not follow a low fat die . It will kill you. You MUST eat fat.

I am getting about 120-140 ounces of Fluid a day right now. The increase in fat makes sense, however, my nutritionist doesn't want me to exceed 30 grams of fat per day. I have a follow up meeting with her on February 5th. Hopefully I can get this resolved. I think the Constipation may be adding to my weight loss stall as well.

Get a new nutritionist before they kill you! Don't limit your fat at all.

I was also told 30 grams of fat! But, I am also stalled for several months now! Hmmm. And I'm just a year post-op.

But I have to say, I'm also at a loss as to how to eat. I have finally wrapped my head around the concept of grams of Protein but I have a really hard time translating all the grams of things into meals. My mind just doesn't work that way--yikes!

@@jtubb, let me know what you find out about getting past that stall and the constipation! I think we are in the same boat.

Increase your Magnesium intake. I'm pre op and have had this issue as well. I take costco brand magnesium citrate 2 pills 3x a day and let's just everything works like a well oiled machine. If you can't tolerate pills there are magnesium drops but taste awful.

Are you guys members of the Duodenal Switch groups on Facebook? They have helped me a TON! I just saw someone say their happy place is 120-150 Protein a day 100-200 fat depending on what they can get in and less then 50 carb... sounds like your nutritionist is talking rny.

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories

Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories

I was thinking the same thing as well since I know they give the same printed sheets to individuals who have also had RNY. This is my concern with those numbers:

120-150 grams of protein=480-600 calories

100-200 grams of fat=900-1800 calories

50 carbohydrates=200 calories

That would be 1580 calories on the low end and 2600 calories on the high end. I don't see how I could lose any weight eating that many calories. I also don't even know if I could eat that much food. I am going to present this to my nutritionist on February 6th at my next appointment.

Thanks for all the advice! I am going to look at the Facebook groups right now

The people who I have interacted with on the Facebook group don't count calories. I have the same problem with the dietetic people at my clinic, they are trying to tell me to stay under so many calories and so much fat but they are so geared towards the rny they don't really know. Definitely seek out the Facebook groups, they will assure you that the nutritionists are clueless with the DS diet =) its also nice to talk to people who are 10+ years out from the DS a d see they are doing fine! Good luck!

a handful of pecans or almonds o walnuts will help. also 1 ducolox (sp) at night with the Miralax. my doctor had me doing 2 miralax a day.

Stop counting calories! You malabsorb fat so when you don't get enough, you get constipated. You need to lube the machine.

Edited by sjules