Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for friends my age going through the same.

Hello all! So glad to find this group. I am 61 and will have my surgery on April 15. I have been a bit uncomfortable about going through this process at my age. I am looking forward to my surgery but I am also starting to second guess my decision. It's nice to have a group of people that I can relate to!

I'm 63 and had my sleeve surgery July 15th. Have lost 110 lbs. Deliberately haven't put any pictures on-line where my family would see them. Went to Calif. To visit 2 weeks ago. They didn't think it was me getting out of the car...lol. Before we left, my husband took me on a couple of shopping trips. He was so enthusiastic. I felt like his Barbie dol...lol. Still have about 50 lbs to go. Ate like a pig in Calif yet lost 3 lbs and 2 last week. All this and I haven't started exercising. I'm enrolling at Curves this week. Want to qualify for removal of my "apron" as soon as I can. In your 60's this truly is your last chance at a better quality of life. I'm going to be a Grandmother for the first time the week I turn 64. So happy I'll be healthy enough to enjoy it. No more C-pap and I'm down to 3 pills a day from 9! No longer require surgery on my knee. We don't need to feel guilty or weak. We literally don't have the time to lose weight through self control. This is only a tool. It is still our choice whether to eat healthily or not. It is NOT easy! However it does make it quicker. My husband is 8 years younger than I. He is so impressed he is making an appointment with the surgeon. He has already lost 150 pounds, but has been stalled for several years. Don't 2nd guess yourself! Remember that fear and excitement feel the same to your body...Just change your attitude to gratitude that you have this opportunity.

You have inspired me to have no more second thoughts about going through with this, Cherich! May 4th sleeve, here I come!

My May 4th surgery was postponed until May 20th. I was soooooo close, but I will patiently wait for my day to come. In the meantime I am continuing my semi-liquid diet ( two Liquid Protein meals and one small meat and veggie meal) and I go to the gym at least four days a week after work. I really have to force myself to go but I always feel so good when that 75 minute workout is over. I hope everyone here is doing well and things are going smoothly. As my date approaches instead of being nervous, I'm calming down. Time to really think things out now that all the pretesting and endless doctor visits have dwindled has helped me to get my priorities in order. I'm thinking good thoughts to those before and after surgery. Keep on keeping on!

It's been over six weeks since my surgery. I lost 38 lbs. Original weight was 227 lbs and I'm now down to 189 lbs. This weight loss compasses preop and postop. Never felt better. Weight loss is slow but I'm not in a hurry.

I do 35 minutes of fast walking every day and I'm much more active than I was before this journey started. Best thing I've ever done for myself. Good luck to all.

I'm 65 and had my surgery on March 3rd. I've lost 28 pounds since surgery. I started at 207 then by surgery day I was 193. I keep my calories at about 600 to 650 per day. If I ate less I would lose faster but I would feel weak ish. So by keeping my intake up it helps me lose a bit slower. I'm not in a hurry I'd rather feel good while the pounds come off. I walk 3 miles a day keep active. I feel fabulous!

Surgery was a breeze, I had a hiatle hernia repaired at the same time. That was the only thing I felt a little discomfort from besides the co2 and thatcwent away quickly. It wasn't anything I needed pain meds for. My scars are tiny, less than 1/2 inch in size.

Regrets? I have one...... why didn't I do this sooner? Love my sleeve!

Hi to every body, I am m 62, in the UK and due to have my op in July, just waiting for the call on Monday with date. Hope all doing well on the site

Wonderful to find this community. I'm 61 amd was got the gastric sleeve on 5/14/15 just going into my 4th week now. I've lost 22 lbs and still learning to trust my sleeve. It's kind weird how my head tells me I'm still hungry but my stomach wont let me eat.

Just had a check up and doctor said shes very happy with my progress. I can now begin to exercise, and she has cleared me to swim. I went yesterday and found out how out of shape I am! I was exhauste after about 30 minutes of walking.

Any way, looking forward to following all of you through this journey.

I'm 65 1/2 out 14 weeks post op. and I feel great! There are times that I wish I could eat more but realize that the man size meals I used to eat is what got me up to 207 . 5' 1" is a bit short to carry around all that weight.

My surgery was March 3rd 2015 with Dr. Archer in Bend, Oregon.

My surgery weight was 193 and today I'm 159 and loving the energy and finding sales for new cloths. I only shop sales because my size changes almost every other week.

Before surgery I had stress incontinence (coughing, laughing or sneezing) and having to get up in the middle night to use the bathroom several times.

All that is gone! That is amazing all by itself.

The only regret I have is not doing the surgery sooner, I love my sleeve.

I'm back to living life!

Now that its summer I've been biking, walking and kayaking as much as possible.

Hi everyone! I just joined bariatricpal, and I'm so happy to find this group. I'm 65 and well meaning friends keep telling me that I will have a harder time losing weight because of my age. Reading through all your posts gives me hope. My sleeve surgery is scheduled for July 17th-only 25 days away! I'm so excited at this point to lose weight and start feeling better!

Im July 16th so we are close! I get afraid and excited sometimes in the same hour!

@chrisredjeep@dena1258,

You will both do well with your upcoming surgeries. I wish you both a speedy, uncomplicated recovery.

@dena1258

I would venture a guess that your "well meaning friends" don't know squat about weight loss surgery.

You'll do fine. Just do what your surgeon advises. Don't get fancy. Don't overthink it. Just do each day what you're supposed to do then. The weight loss phases go faster than you'd ever believe. Soon you'll have more energy than you've had in decades!

@@dena1258

I'm 64 had surgery Jan 13 this year. I feel amazing and just wish I had it sooner. However I don't think I was as ready as I am now. I take this very seriously as my last chance at good health.
Haven't had sugar in 7 months (except things like condiments). I don't even want it. My big cheat days are a little bread. I have so much energy I just go like the energizer bunny.

The surgery is no picnic but well worth it. No regrets.

Just follow the docs orders to a tee. Don't mess around with food thinking you can just eat a little and you'll do fine. There may be a day when I'm at goal I will let myself eat a little something but I'm so happy with just a piece of fruit no2 I hope I can stay that way.

Best wishes.

Thanks for all of the advice. I know I do have to be careful about following the diet exactly. I always made substitutions and messed with the program on other diets. And then I wondered why they didn't work LOL! This time I know things have to be different. Just got back from my last nutrition class, and had my pre-op with my surgeon yesterday. All that is left is the pre-admission testing at the hospital. I know the time will go by quickly, but I wish my surgery was tomorrow. So excited to get going with this!

On another note, I'm new to this, and I noticed I got emails when someone responded. I presume because they put @dena1258 at the top of the post. If I want to do the same thing for someone, do I just type it in and add @ plus their name, or do I have to click on something?