Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for friends my age going through the same.

The sleeve was invented as a first surgery before RNY. My doc says its as successful as RNY, without the negatives, like dumping. Also you are not losing weight through mal absorption. I liked that.

Though i have had great results, I have been far from an angel and have yet to start exercising. Joining Curves this week. Got a free membership with my health insurance. Still have 60 lbs to go, so I need to buckle down if I want to make it to goal by my anniversary date July 15th,

How did you get your insurance company to pony up for a gym membership? Is this common? I need to look into that!

Donna--did you get your date yet? Cardiologist on board? You may have to wait until the spring thaw up there to get it done.

We are having a lovely ice storm this morning. I am still doing great. Two more days of liquid diet: a bowl of cottage cheese never looked so tempting. Incisions are nearly healed, just itching. Life pretty much back to normal, but no restaurants yet. My husband had been very supportive. I have a two week follow-up tomorrow afternoon--ice permitting. Keep us posted. Charlene

I'm 65 and my surgery date is March 3rd. 2015 I hope to find support and sleeved friends in this age group. When I began the Quest for information on WLS it was last July. I have been to 2 dr. seminars, many, many support groups and nutrition classes the phyc evaluation so think that I'm finally ready for my pre surgery visit with the doctor tomorrow. In July my weight jumped to 207 I was told to drop 10 pounds by the next visit (tomorrow) I've managed to get down to 191 -192

I hope that the doc is happy with that, I really worked hard to accomplish that and try to maintain.

I'm not looking to be skinny but hope to be a healthy 130 ish. I would like to keep the plumpness in my cheeks and not look any older as it is. I'm doing everything I can inhes to prevent hairloss.i hope that it works.

Can some of you long term sleevers offer us new sleevers some words of wisdom?

Hi: My name is pam. I had surgery 2/23/2015. Just started week 2 and thus far doing well. Since I just turned 63, I am looking for support from other folks that have done this post age 60. I was thrilled that the hospital where I work is a "center of excellence" for bariatrics. I have 2 siblings that had bypass a few years back but I never wanted surgeons to mess with my intestines. I'm headed to the gym today to check my endurance. I am supposed to go back to work 3/9. I will stay out another week if I feel I won't be able to keep up the pace. I work as a nurse in the NICU, generally high paced. My challenge will be getting all the Fluid and Protein in when it's a crazy shift.

I have about 110 pounds I want to lose.

Hi Donna (& other pre-ops too)!

Congratulations on your decision to have the VSG! You wouldn't be "normal" if you weren't nervous. May I suggest that you try to do the things that help calm yourself so that you are in the best health and relaxed on the day of your surgery. I am so excited for you. I am coming up on my 4-year surgiversary; had mine at age 59. I'm 5', with original weight of 252. I keep my weight at a range of 130-135. I cannot begin to tell you how much it has changed the quality of my life and improved both my physical (and mental) health. No more Type II diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol meds.

So many people say they wish they had done it sooner, but for me, I'm not sure I would have been successful "sooner." THIS late in life was the time for me to take this seriously and make "rest of my best years" commitement to change my eating habits and lifestyle FOREVER.

Here's a few things that have been key to my success, but of course we are all different. I have attended weekly support groups for the last four years, so I've heard the stories of thousands of people and after awhile, the issues are all very similar. (There have been recent studies published showing that patients who regularly attend support groups have better long-term weight loss success.)

1) Many lose the biggest portion of our weight in the first 6-8 months, so the better you adhere to your program "to the tee" during those months, the better your results will be. Weight loss tends to slow down from there.

2) After you are back on regular eating schedule following your surgery recovery, it helps to make a conscious effort to decide how you are going to treat your consumption of the junk food processed carbs in your life. Some people choose to not eliminate them at all; some choose to eat them in moderation; some choose to eliminate them completely that entire first year until they have firmly changed their old eating habits. After the "honeymoon" period ends (often around one year for many) and hunger begins to return, carb cravings are one of the biggest problems WLSers struggle with and one of the main reason for weight regain.

3) Plan Ahead. Never be caught without healthy snack options. Pre-portion Snacks for the day/week. Keep an insulated bag for your car, etc.

4) Changing your relationship with food is hard. Making conscious decisions to buy, prepare, and eat fresh, whole foods rather than the pre-packaged processed out of a box or can, or frequent fast food or restaurant food is hard. But the more you can change those old habits in the first year so it becomes your normal, the closer you come to the day when you are free from the power food had had over you. It feels great when YOU have the power over your food for the first time in your life!

5) Positive attitude, keeping an open mind, willingness to change, and trying new things. This is a winding road, with some hills and dips. Things don't always go "our way." When they don't, it is NOT because we FAILED, or we're BAD because we ate a cookie, etc. Learning to be good to ourselves is often as hard as losing weight for some people. Relax and remember to have fun along the way! We do not have to be perfect at this...

Can't wait to hear the update about your special 3/18 event! All the best to you!

Had my first post-op today. Lost 10 pounds since pre-op. I really wasn't prepared for the weight gain I experienced during the surgical phase. When I got home, I had gained 9 pounds. So really, in my mind, I've lost 19. Not that it matters that much. I have had no nausea, no diarrhea, pain is just superficial. The worst part of surgery for me was the gas. My belly felt very heavy for the 1st 4 days and the discomfort was sort of above the stomach area, making it difficult to take a deep breath. My best friend was the inspirometer thingy they give you after surgery to help you expand your lungs. Walking also helped a lot, though getting out of bed was hard as I was on one of the beds that inflates and deflates. I kept in mind that all the discomforts I was having would pass and I was excited to start feeling better and losing weight. I am taking an extra week off to build my endurance. I do get tired but it's only 10 days post-op. Pam

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I have read and reread you post several times and I am feeling so much better. I know in my heart I am ready for this and I know I can do this.

I'm 65 5' 1/2" had my vsg on March 3rd. My beginning weight was 207, day of surgery 189.9. My personal goal weight is 130 - 135. Getting fluids in is my first hurdle, today is my first full day at home and I was really trying my best to finish a 12 oz. glass of Water. By evening I did manage to drink 12 more ounces. I haven't had any solid food in 4 days and am not hungry at all but I am beginning to feel weak. The gas pains are getting better, I feel some gurgling but not hungry. Tomorrow I will start on Protein Shakes and maybe Soups. I hope that swallowing will become easier. I've had a few incidences where I forgot and drank too much water, ouch.

I'm looking forward to hearing all you new sleevers and your experiences.

Having surgery March 10th - 2 more days. I'm 69 a nd getting nervous.

I started this journey weighing 227 and I'm 5' 1". I'm now down to 210 following the heavy Protein diet. Looking forward to being more active!

Never had surgery before. General anesthesia scares me as does breathing tube. Has anyone experienced difficulties with breathing tube after surgery.

Is the tube removed before you are out of anesthesia?

I had never had anesthesia before, either, and was worried. Yes, they do take it out before you wake up. My throat was a little scratchy for about 48 hours, but not bad. I used Chloraseptic Max throat spray to sooth it, with doctor's permission. By day three, it was back to normal.

I had my surgery Feb. 3rd, and am doing fine. Down twenty two pounds since that date, for a total of sixty -five pounds since starting the diet last November. One hundred twenty pounds to go.

Just sip, sip, sip Water all the time. And be sure to get the nursing staff to show you how to get in and out of bed without putting strain on your incisions. Best of luck to you.

Thank you so much for the reply and advice. I will definitely follow it. Your weight loss is as amazing. Continue success and good luck to you.

I had my surgery Sept 10, 2014 just 5 day's before my 60th birthday. I've lost 70 pounds and have 51 pds to go. I'm personal goal is 135. I've gotten a Fitbit to help keep track of my steps, sleep and exercise. Logging in my food. This was the best thing I've done for myself feeling good. Good luck to all on your journeys

K9nana--hope you are feeling better. I am five weeks out, and still drink too much Water once in a while. Hard to swallow those giant bariatric Vitamins without taking a big gulp. Let us know how you are doing.

@@Babalou Thank you for asking, I'm doing fine. It's gotten easier to get Water down, sometimes too easy. I want to drink too fast.

The shoulder pain is just a memory now. I'm so glad thats gone.

I haven't started taking my multi Vitamin yet but I know they will be a meal because of their size. They did make me nauseous before surgery so I don't know how I will tolerate them.

The biggest thing right now is the Protein Shakes, thet are sickening sweet.

I used to take them along with me on trips as a snack before surgery and liked them. Now I can't get them down :-(

Thank goodness for the Unjury chicken Soup, that is by far the best one.

I hope you are all doing well and are pain free. Overall I think we "60" somethings did ok.

Glad to hear things arr going good with you. My surgery is the 18th. Nervous but excited.