Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The things people eat!

Well I have not had my surgery yet, and I really don't know what I will do, but........I will not do the things I see people doing after they had surgery. I know two ladies that had the sleeve, one had it about 8 months ago the other one had it in dec. So I see one eating chicken strips with French fries and gravy and corn dogs and drinking dr pepper and all kinds of bad stuff, she's a customer of mine so that's why I see what she eats so much. The other lady just had her surgery December 8 and I see her the other day and she was eating nachos with cheese and jalapeños and I just can't believe it! What is wrong with that picture. Is it that they were lucky enough to have insurance pay for it and didn't have the struggle of paying for it out of pocket so it's kinda easy for them to not try, or is it that they don't have the will power to not eat that stuff? I just don't want to be that hungry after surgery that I resort to eating the "bad food" I like these ladies don't get me wrong and I will never say anything but I don't want to be like them after my surgery.

Well that's a choice. I wouldn't eat like that. I have no hunger and when I do eat is not much so I physically couldn't do that BUT even if I could I simply wouldn't, And you won't either if you want to be successful. Now, are they only eating a few bites? I have no food issues so if I wanted to I could eat a few bites of junk too. Maybe they are just making Crappy food choices but can't eat much?

Edited by Elode

Well I really don't know about the one that just had it done, ( if she can eat the whole thing of nachos) but the one that eats chicken tenders and such, I've seen her eat the whole plate of food! I was really amazed and I swear her doc didn't do her sleeve right, is that even possible?

I go through bouts of eating healthy and bouts of eating junk. We're human and yes some people will f'up completely. Some people will get tired of feeling like they are on a diet all the time and indulge from time to time. Others will have no problems making good food choices all the time. However your judgement of these ladies is why a lot of people keep surgery a secret because the food police come out to patrol and judge.

Since you are pre-op, talk to more post ops. Read the veteran's forum because surgery doesn't "fix you". Most likely you will not wake up hating French fries or whatever it is you like to indulge in and for the record, I ate salt Water taffy, Cookies, and drank wine last week. Good luck in your journey.

I think it all just depends on the person I haven't had surgery yet and a couple months ago I met a lady that was telling someone about her surgery and how it was the best choice she's ever made while eating a Hershey's bar I sat there probably looking a fool with my mouth wide open then I asked but why are you eating the chocolate aren't you afraid of dumping and she said sometimes I like to eat bad so I can dump it's like a cleanse I sat there in disbelief because of all the dumping horror stories you hear lol I think it just depends on the person lol

@@Nikkidoodlebug

I paid for my surgery out of pocket and if you watched me eat tonight, you'd have seen shredded chicken nachos, heavy on the lettuce.

NOW.. realistically, I ate like 3 tortilla chips covered with chicken, cheese, and lettuce. And I ate that because I only get a few bites of food - I am not going to choke down gross crap. And if I want chicken nachos, I will eat the chicken nacho - or two or 3 of them.

Three days ago, I had a piece of my kid's fudge.

About a week ago, I had 4 and a half of my husband's French fries.

At least twice a week, dinner for me used to be a big mac, a large fry, a large diet coke, and a hot fudge sundae - extra hot fudge. Now I've decided that a big mac doesn't deserve the space in Sleevie, diet coke takes up too much room.. so I just have 3 French fries and two bites of hot fudge sundae.

There are some foods that I don't like any more... but there's not that many.

I do my choices the way I do because if I ignore the cravings, they don't go away - they get bigger until I have a lot of trouble controlling the quality and quantity and speed of what I'm eating - and then I hurt and get very sick.

The rest of the time, I'm drinking Protein shakes and eating my lean Protein and my low carb veggies.. and I'm a walking fool.

I'm working my sleeve, and I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Well I have not had my surgery yet, and I really don't know what I will do, but........I will not do the things I see people doing after they had surgery. I know two ladies that had the sleeve, one had it about 8 months ago the other one had it in dec. So I see one eating chicken strips with French fries and gravy and corn dogs and drinking dr pepper and all kinds of bad stuff, she's a customer of mine so that's why I see what she eats so much. The other lady just had her surgery December 8 and I see her the other day and she was eating nachos with cheese and jalapeños and I just can't believe it! What is wrong with that picture. Is it that they were lucky enough to have insurance pay for it and didn't have the struggle of paying for it out of pocket so it's kinda easy for them to not try, or is it that they don't have the will power to not eat that stuff? I just don't want to be that hungry after surgery that I resort to eating the "bad food" I like these ladies don't get me wrong and I will never say anything but I don't want to be like them after my surgery.

I agree with one thing you said -- you are pre-op and you DON'T know what you will do yet. ;)

I, too, had the sleeve. On Tuesday, I went to Chick Filet and ordered the (fried) chicken Strip meal with waffle fries and a Coke Zero. I ate the chicken in a mayo/hot sauce mix which is far fattier than gravy (gravy actually being a really great choice). I am sure if I had told the world about my surgery, I, too, would have been judged for my choices as you are doing with these ladies. (Huge reason I decided to keep my surgery to myself.)

What you would not have seen:

I had a super busy morning that included a 45 minute workout and I had no time for Breakfast. After my workout, I put my fitbit on and started my day. I knew I was only get to see my youngest for about 45 minutes between school and a conference I was speaking at that evening, so I let her pick the lunch spot. I ate one chicken strip, put the rest of the food back in the bag to take to my oldest who was at work at our martial arts school (our usual routine) and took the Coke Zero with me. I had a conference that I was speaking at that afternoon/evening, so I was a bit on edge, and I didn't eat any dinner. (I did have a few Hershey Kisses, though.) Over the course of the day, I logged in 15k steps AFTER my workout. (Nervous pacing?) I consumed less than 800 calories. My choices were the best they could be given my circumstances... Eh -- no they weren't, but that's life.

Last night, I got home for dinner at 8pm and realized I hadn't eaten anything but a string cheese and a handful of almonds. My husband made taco salad, but I am not much for lettuce so I made nachos. With jalapenos. Nom nom nom. Again. less than 800 calories in the day -- far less -- and while my portion size looked big, I barely ate any. Not that I need to justify it, just pointing that out.

The thing I hated about telling the world I was doing WWs or Atkins or South Beach? The food Police. What I put in my face is between me, my doctor and my pants size. It's no one else's business. If I ask someone their opinion, that's a different story but I am guessing these ladies didn't ask you. :)

Anywho... I am sure you will do GREAT with your surgery and I am sure you will make the best choices for you. If these ladies fail miserably, that's on them, not you, but I do hope that you never feel judged, cuz that sucks.

Edit!

OH! And I was "lucky" enough to have insurance pay for me because I struggled to get a job that would provide that for me. :) I had the will power to hit goal within a year of surgery and maintain it for the last 10 or so months. :)

;)

Everyone is over weight because they have eating issues. The surgery does not fix that. You have to have will power. It's a mental thing. I am 14 weeks post op and I had a piece of cake yesterday... Am I a failure. No. I'm human. I have still lost almost 50 pounds in less than 4 months. I still eat healthy most days and exercise because u have to. I can eat more than most I have seen on these boards talk about. That worries me a bit. But I still choose to eat things that are better for me (except my cake) anyways I try not to judge. It's a disease. They simply were not mentally prepared to take the step to surgery.

Serious question, OP - if you know you will be able to follow a perfect diet after surgery, why aren't you currently doing that (I assume you aren't, otherwise you wouldn't need the surgery)?

Sorry - duplicate post.

Edited by mrs kaje

And this is another reason NOT to tell folks about my weight loss surgery. If I had a moment of weakness (or 2 or 3)...judgement is sure to follow.

We didn't get to where we are by having a stellar healthy relationship with food. Why is it that once a person gets WLS everything is supposed to be solved immediately? Transformation takes time and people need to be given opportunities to change...however long it takes. Looking at others' eating is human but we have to keep in mind that they have their own journey & it has nothing to do with our personal journeys.

Edited by ProjectMe

Judgement is a funny thing. When we don't walk in the shoes of someone else, we only see a snapshot of their lives, not the big picture.

Once a semester, I let each of my kids pick a "date day" with me. We skip school, they get to choose Breakfast and lunch as well as our activities for the day. I've been doing this since kindergarten.

When my kids were in grade school, they would pick donuts and slurpees for "breakfast", popcorn and candy at the movies for "lunch" and a stop for ice cream somewhere in the middle. Other than these days, my kids ate mostly "clean", something they do most days as teens.

If someone were to judge me on that snapshot, they would see a mom that let the kid skip school for no reason, feed that kid crap all day, indulge all their whims and generally spoil her rotten.

They wouldn't see the special moments created, the dates they still talk about and the knowledge that occasional treats are ok as long as they aren't a regular occurrence.

A little off topic, but something to think about.

Nikki, I don't think you were judging and are asking a very valid question. The sleeve is not magic to all, just some. I have been sleeved and suddenly I don't like coffee, sweets or anything for that matter. I realize I'm still in the early phases but there is a woman that goes to my doctor and she and I had surgery the same day in December. She has already blended a piece of pizza during her puree phase! I don't have those cravings so we're all different. As for exercising and eating right, if we could all do that, we wouldn't have had the sleeve. Being thinner makes it easer to move thus, exercise is not such a burden. But don't let these sleevers make you think that's the magic tool either. Your body will do what it will do. It may lose quickly without a day in the gym (I have two girlfriends that didn't do one bit of exercise and lost 120lbs each in 10 months) or it may lose slow and steady. All you need to do is focus on your journey and your journey only. Eat right, when you possibly can, but enjoy your life and you will be successful. I have not had a day where I craved any junk and I eat a low carb, high Protein diet when I eat. But, I don't eat a lot, I'm not interested. People here would like to give all kind of advice about that but, this is my journey, my body and my labs will tell me what I need to change, if anything. I'm having good success and I feel great. That's what you need to focus on. Get a plan for post surgery for successes and failures and keep moving forward. It doesn't matter if they paid for the surgery or if insurance paid for it, a craving is a craving is a craving and they are not wrong for eating what they want. You don't know what they ate or didn't eat the days before or after. This could have been their cheat days. At any rate, focus on your journey, they'll work theirs out in time. It won't be easy so be to them what you would want someone to be to you. I do not plan on going through life explaining my food choices to anyone, and I told everyone about my surgery. Best wishes to you!

Why worry about what others eat? The way this thread is titled sounds very judge-y. If the question is where is the restriction, then I'll say this: you have to work the program. The sleeve limits the amount you can eat in one sitting, but it's still up to you to make good food choices. Focus on yourself and your choices. Do not compare yourself to others either positively or negatively.

I would invite you to stop judging what other are eating. It's no more your business what they're eating than it is their business what you choose to eat pre-op or post op. Let it go and you'll be much saner through this experience. You'll choose to do what you choose to do post op, but consider a long term strategy that includes not trying to be "perfect". Seriously, there are no "good" or "bad" foods! There IS abusing nutritionally shallow or high calorie foods which is what got most of us into the situation where we felt we needed to take the risk of WLS.

Some choose to "swear off all bad foods" forever and that works for them, but I'm one of those who chooses not to "diet" post op. I dieted for 40 years and it got me nothing but a cycle of guilt, food obsession, giving in, rinse, repeat. I eat the occasional corn dog. I eat the occasional chicken strip. I eat the occasional desert, but typically only a bite or two. I lost well and maintain well by making high quality food choices about 80% of the time and not feeling one bit guilty about the other 20%! It's given me a freedom from food addiction that I didn't think was possible. For me, anyway the key is never overeating and maintaining good habits and balance in all things.